Ostomy Memories Welcomes October

Replies
Views
HenryM

It’s finally October, my birth month, and the beginning of a three-month long celebratory period of over-drinking, over-eating, and over-spending. Why is the tenth month of the year named from the Latin prefix for eight (octo-)? Ans: because, under the original Roman calendar, it was the eighth month in a ten-month cycle. When they converted to twelve months in 713 BC, the name stuck, even though it then became the tenth month. There are plenty of special times that are coming up (can you say PUMPKIN, TURKEY, CREDIT CARD OVERUSE?), but the one I’d especially like to highlight here is my personal favorite. October is National Sarcastic Awareness Month. A lot of folks don’t care for sarcasm or sarcastic people. The word itself – sahr-kaz-uhm – means use of irony to mock or convey contempt. Or, you might call it the thinking person’s natural response to stupidity. The humor invoked by this type of poking fun can offend some sensitive types. Many terrific comics rely upon sarcasm. Groucho Marx, for example (“I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it.”). Don’t forget great comedians like Don Rickles and Joan Rivers (may they rest in sarcastic peace). Then there’s Ambrose Bierce, author of the Devil’s Dictionary. Over the years, several people have proposed use of a special punctuation mark to designate sarcasm, but unfortunately it has never caught on. It’s called an irony mark, or a percontation point or a rhetorical question mark, meant to designate that the words, phrase, or sentence preceding it should be read as sarcasm (in case you didn’t get it, I suppose). It's a backward question mark.  It doesn't get any more sarcastic than that.

Bill

Hello HenryM. 

Thank you once again for drawing our attention to an interesting and provocative subject. I had not realised that it was 'National Sarcsatic Awareness Month' but it is always useful to have some excuse to wade into discussions such as this, if only to put an alternative perspective on what may seem to be an 'acceptable' way of making humour. 

I too enjoy a bit of sarcasm when it is not designed to bully or do harm to anyone in any way. However, as I have alluded to many times before, one on the main focusses for my rhyming verse has been 'bullying' in its many forms and sarcasm has become a favourite strategy of bullying for some people.  I have chosen just three rhymes from a great many on this subject, because the facebook posters were honest enough to admit to their malevolent intent with their sarcasm.

Best wishes

Bill

A SIGN OF BULLYING.

Sometimes, if you look hard, you’ll find
signs in the workings of a mind,
to indicate someone won’t care
and that a bully’s lurking there.

I’ve studied a few Facebook posts,
and noticed that it sometimes hosts
the sort of posts that indicate
potential bully’s mental state.

The latest post that I espied,
typified and personified
what the bully thinks inside,
and how his need is satisfied.

The post that I’m referring to
pretty plainly gives us a clue
as to how this bully thinks
and most people think that it stinks.

It says: “Let’s mess with our neighbours!”
Implying he won’t do them favours:
“Put on a military uniform”
Implying force will be performed.

“And, whilst wearing a gas mask,
mark crosses on their door’s the task.”
Implying they’ve the plague is read,
and pretty soon they will be dead.

He might plead, it’s just a thought
that his sense of humour caught,
but I feel that most people find
this kind of thought is quite unkind.

The sort of man that thinks this way,
believes unkindness is okay,
as long as he can get his kicks
from these bullying little tricks.

B. Withers 2020
                                    (in Bullying 4)

A SIGN OF BULLYING 2.

My first rhyme about the signs
of that bullying which enshrines
the sort of people bullies are,
shows no bounds and have no bar.

They say that sarcasm would fit
with the lowest form of wit,
but I would add that it fits fully
with a certain type of bully.

The post that I relayed in rhyme
was borrowed from those whose pastime
is compiling websites where
bullies can share and then compare.

The website I’m referring to,
lays out a stark and cutting view
that they don’t care if they upset
as people deserve all that they get.

Their site’s called ‘The Sarcastic Bastard’
and they clearly praise the dastard, (sneaky coward)
by stating that it’s good to be
a sarcastic, bombastic bully.

For them, there is no holding back,
to keep their bullying on track,
they thought they would make a group
to see how low that they could stoop.

They say they want more bullies to
pass their nasty posting through
the medium of sarcasm
and do it with enthusiasm.

Of course, bullies will use this trick
as in their minds they are quite sick,
and they don’t care what pain they cause
in the furtherance of their cause.
                                       B. Withers 2020
                                      (in Bullying 4)

Quote from ‘The Sarcastic Bastard’ website:
“A group of unpleasant and despicable friends started a Facebook page that offers satirical utterances designed to cut or give pain.”

A SIGN OF BULLYING 3.

‘Sarcastic Bastard’s’ origins
appear to come from those thick-skins,
who like the humour which begins
with feeding others their toxins.

If you look on their Facebook page,
you’ll find sarcasm is the rage
for those bullies who think it’s fun
to poke fun at anyone.

They think it’s funny to annoy,
which is, of course, a favourite ploy,
of the bully and the lout
who know what bullying’s about.

They seem proud to stand up tall,
trying to make people look small,
by all their nasty sarcasm,
which, for them’s, an orgasm.

They will get off on making jokes
about all those less-able folks,
who do not have the wherewithal
to cope with bullying at all.

They’re pleased to say that they don’t care,
and therefore, they would like to share
all their bully-thoughts with us,
but don’t want us to make a fuss.

They think that this stuff is humour,
thus, other bullying consumers
will welcome it with open arms
and praise the fact it also harms.

The sneaky bullies forward stuff
and like the fact that it is tough
on those poor folks who may be weak
and do not have the voice to speak.

B. Withers 2020
                                          (in Bullying 4)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ritz

I really enjoy your words for thought... both of you. I need my coffee first to wake up my brain.

Ritz

I really enjoy your words for thought... both of you. I need my coffee first to wake up my brain.

HenryM

Thanks for your comment.  Perhaps once you've had your coffee, you won't double post anymore.  LOL

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Lily17

Good morning, O'mates!    

Thank you both, Henry & Bill, for sharing your wisdom, knowledge & creativity addressing the topic of sarcasm.

Perhaps some louts using sarcasm to bully have yet to experience a personal situation/crisis leading to increased humility & empathy for the rest of the human race.   (Not that a crisis is required for this to occur, certainly.   However, it can happen.)

On two other notes:

Henry, Happy Birthday Month to you, and all of us other October Babies!   Fall is truly my favorite time of year;   less for the holidays, but more for the ebbing of wilt-inducing summer temperatures, the onset of vibrant   colors in local flora, the opportunity to don oversized fleece shirts, and to cook up wonderful, warming soups, stews & chilis.

Ritz, I hope your caffeination process is going smoothly:   I am, once again, celebrating National Coffee Day & National Mocha Day (yesterday)!

Make it an amazing Autumn day, everyone - and happy Full Moon!   (The next Full Moon is on Oct. 31st - a "blue moon".)

Lily17

TerryLT

Hi Henry, when you are at your best, as you are today, you educate, stimulate thought and entertain. What could be better than that? Thanks!

Terry

TerryLT

Speaking of double posting, I've noticed that if I post something, then realize I made a mistake and go in to edit it, it sometimes posts it twice, sometimes not.   Maybe this is what happened here?

Terry

Vikingthor

Wow! In all my years on earth, I never knew that Oct meant eight! Where would we be without the insight of an American?!

HenryM

Sarcasm!  Good job...