Ostomy Memories of Justice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

Two women sit on opposite sides of the courtroom, hoping for justice. Their sons had gotten into an argument which resulted in a tussle. Suddenly, Jerry pulled out a large knife and stabbed John several times in the belly. He had since been tried and convicted of aggravated battery, a felony with a maximum statutory penalty of fifteen years imprisonment. Jerry stood before the judge. John could not attend the proceeding, as he was still recovering from emergency ileostomy surgery. The knife wounds had severed his colon beyond repair. The ileostomy would be permanent. It infrequently occurs in criminal cases that both sides walk away feeling that justice has prevailed. More often than not, one side feels justice has been done while the other bemoans its absence. In this case, however, neither of the two mothers felt that they got justice. The judge sent Jerry to prison for nine years. His mother, exiting the courtroom tearfully, believed that he was treated too harshly. John’s mother didn’t cry, but she was upset. She felt the sentence was too light. Her son would be wearing a bag on his belly for the rest of his life. What is justice, then? Justice is how you want the case to turn out.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ritz

Justice is the morally fair and right state of everything. To have justice as a person's character trait means that they are just and treat everyone the same, or how they would like to be treated..... so in Jerry's case, maybe someday he may get shoved by an inmate in his gut... or perhaps John will get so angry that he physically hurts someone else. Either way, I'm glad I'm not in any of their shoes or in their mothers or friends or people that know them. To be hurtful towards others is not justice unless you're a lion trying to get dinner. I've had my coffee!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Ah, Henry, my learned friend. You have the ability to stand back and see the big picture and ask the rhetorical questions.

Laurie

Bill

Hello HenryM.
Thank you yet again for choosing a subject (Justice) which, on the surface, may seem clear and straightforward, yet has many controversial and complex facets to consider. (for those who are interested, Wickipedia has a very good summary of the complexities of this issue.)
I recall, many moons ago, being taken to one side in a court of law by a friend and colleague, to offer some ‘wise’ words on justice (as I was railing against the injustices of the court system).
He said, “This is a court of ‘law’ - If you are looking for ‘justice’ – you are in the wrong place!”
It is perhaps significant that this single comment probably prompted me into writing the sort of poetry which, by and large, extols the concept of ‘POETIC JUSTICE’.
I write a lot about caring, fairness, equality, etc. but to date I do not believe I have ever written a poem specifically about ‘justice’ – possibly because justice means so many different things to different people, whereas with ‘poetic justice’, there is a definite expectation of the triumph of good over bad.
Best wishes
Bill

HenryM

"More law, less justice."  Marcus Tullius Cicero  

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister