Politics-Free Zone: A Supportive Community!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Cplumber

It is such a relief to be able to go to this website and not have to deal with the political stuff/junk. And the other side of seeing people just willing to help people!

Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,107 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

+1

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lovely

Plumber, I like your post. There was a lot of negative stuff going on at one time. I just quit posting for a while. I am glad it is not happening anymore. Best wishes and stay safe.

Puppyluv56

I am grateful that everyone keeps their political opinions off of here as well! It is the only place I can go to not have to deal with the craziness! I just want to help people and get help when needed!
Thanks, Pup

Past Member

I agree completely. Thanks to all... mtnman

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

I do agree with the sentiments expressed above and feel that there are many other forums where people interested in the type of governmental politics indulged in by 'politicians'  can air their views.

A site like this seems to be  primarily for helping people come to terms with problems relating to stoma issues. However, the dictionary definition of 'politics' is wider than simply governmental affairs and includes the concept "(3) Activities concerned with seeking power, status, dominance etc."

Over the years that I have been posting on here, there have been a number of times when individual contributers have felt 'bullied', hurt, dominated and subjugated  by other contributers. Although these activities are often viewed as the prerogative of governmental politicians, they are also behavioural activies and strategies  of other 'bullies'. 

People with physical and emotional differences are sometimes viewed as 'weaker' than those who are considered to be 'normal' and it is likely that 'bullies' will try to take advantage of this to indulge themselves in the process of bullying anyone who is deemed as having a 'weakness'. When and if this happens, I would reserve the right to express my thoughts and opinions on the subject, if only to support those who are potentially being 'bullied'. 

I would be motivated to do this  no matter what site I was on or what company I was keeping at the time. 

Hopefully this will not necessarily be viewed as a 'political' statement, in the sense of governmental politics, but as a statement of support for anyone who finds themselves as a 'victim' of any of the many types of bullying.

Anyway, most of my own support comes in the form of rhyme and, in the governmental political arena, that doesn't seem to count as 'proper' politics. 

Best wishes

Bill

iMacG5

Hi Bill.  I think your explanation of how your writings might at times be politically influenced is excellent.  Many of my ostomy related experiences were influenced by politics.  The cost of medications and services and the interpretation of insurance coverage are a result of political decisions.  I guess I'm guilty of slipping beyond the MAO intended boundaries and I apologise if I offended.  So much of why we are where we are, as beneficiaries or victims, is the result of the laws we're bound by but I'll try to avoid offering political comments here.

Thanks for your offering Bill.

Mike

Bill

Hello MIke. Thank you for the compliment about my explanation. 

I am not sure whether there are any 'boundaries' in terms of contributions to MAO. There have been many contributions regarding things like Medicare and lack of support from some societal systems and these comments have not , thus far, been disparaged as 'political' statements, but have mostly been viewed as simply a matter of fact.

When I mention that my supplies come via the NHS, free at the point of delivery. I rarely also mention that it is paid for from a system of taxation that was agreed by the majority of the population and enacted into law by a then  labour government, who believed that we should care for and about those who are less fortunate.

Living in a society means that we are 'governed' by the laws that the most powerful in society deem necesary. My take on  this is, that collectively, we probably get the people in charge that we (collectively) deserve. If we choose to have people in charge who are primarily out to serve themselves, then that is what they will do. It should not come as a surprise.

My rhymes (in this regard) are only to highlight when these people weaponise the various aspects of government to 'bully' people whom they percieve as 'weak' or 'weaker' than them. People with disablilities, fall into this bracket and therefore deserve to be heard from their perspectives. I have a long history of writing rhymes on their behalf including one from long ago entitled 'If I were the king'. This was not viewed as a political statement calling for  overt revolution, but simply an exposition of what laws were then in place to discriminate against disabled people. These were laws I believed should and could be reformed to benefit those who had, up to that point been used to disable disabled people even further. 

Everything we do in modern societies may be viewed as 'political', because we are governed by laws made by politicians. I have no objections to that in principle, but in practice I reserve the right to speak up about  the consequences of some of the laws they pass.

NB: I have never belonged to any polical party because, in many ways, they all seem to have similar characteristics which I abhor. I percieve them as a manifestation of the human condition, which over the years has come to mean selfishness, greed and inconsiderateness, to the extent that it is now well on the way to destroying the very things that are needed for human existence. 

Having said that, there are many humans who also recognise what is going on, but are motivated by kindness, caring and considerateness. Unfortunately, these people are likely to be overwhelmed by those who would dominate and subjugate them. Thus, I think that I will continue to have plenty of material for my rhymes on 'bullying' for many years to come. 

Best wishes

Bill

iMacG5

Thanks, Bill, for sharing these profound thoughts.  Perhaps this is not the most appropriate forum to criticize the system(s) but remaining silent to the "bullying" translates to accepting if not actually condoning it.

Stay safe and stay well,

Mike

lovely

I don't know about others but what bothered me was some just continually making derogatory statements about the candidates. If it is about the one someone likes and they respond, it can turn into an argument. There is so much on TV about each candidate I just did not want to see here. JMO

Puppyluv56

I am with you, Lovely. I do not come here to listen to anyone's political views. I get enough of that when I turn on a TV or radio. I was hoping people would respect the political comment-free site! 

Pup

Past Member

I agree with you guys.   ...mountain.  

xnine

Just go out and vote.