I need to gain weight!

Replies
Views
lisam3

Does anyone know of a good protein powder I could use to help me with my weight issues? I make smoothies but it is not enough to keep me afloat. If you know of anything at all that would be helpful, I sure would appreciate it.

tarababy

Hi, well I can't help with a protein powder....I take medication, the only thing that works for me is a painkiller called Codeine for the side effects of constipation (not for everyone, so check with doc first, okay?). But I am at a good weight now because of them. If I don't take them? I'm so damn hungry and thirsty all the time... and no matter what or how much I eat... I don't fill up... all gone through in 20 minutes... so I was fading away... Anyway, hope you find something... could be interested myself... Good luck... And I'm amazed you haven't got an answer yet... hhhmmmmm!!!... Take care.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I have found that the nutritional drinks like Ensure or generic knock-offs work well for me (Walgreens). They have a lot of calories and supplements as well. I like the strawberry myself, but they also come in chocolate and vanilla.
I have used narcotic pain medication to slow my digestion down; however, the side effects can be difficult, especially when I quit taking them. I have recognized that they shut me off from some of my intelligence and memory, as well as make it hard for me to connect with my spirit. In addition, the adhesive on my appliances seems to deteriorate faster when I have them in my system. Good luck!

lisam3

Thank you for your advice. I am using Ensure right now but that is not enough to keep me going. So, I got some skim milk powder for protein and will give that a try. Really losing weight.....Cannot eat regular food. It makes me sick. Will keep trying.

Past Member
As far as a protein powder, I used to use an all-vegetable, no soy protein powder made by Natureade. It tasted pretty good just mixed with water. In fact, I got to where I would crave the drinks. Protein doesn't put much weight on, though, not like carbs, and too much can be difficult on some of the organs, I have been told.

I lost forty pounds in about 6 months when I had a flare-up of Crohn's (not sure what your condition is) about 18 months ago. I was only 160 to begin with, so it was quite a major loss for me. I was scared to death, feeling like I was dissolving away, which didn't help matters. My doctor's nurse would almost cry every time she weighed me.

My doctor put me on a medication called Entocort EC.
It's a sort of internal topical cortisone that has a capsule which dissolves at a certain pH, allowing it to release in a part of the intestines that is inflamed (at least that's how it was explained to me). It took a while to work, but gradually I did get better.
Hang in there, you are not alone, and my heart goes out to you.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
tarababy

Well, it seems people are afraid to take a few more pills.... I can't express how much these pills have saved my life. Codeine... the full strength... causes constipation in people... for people like us, it helps slow the process down also. I was on these before they found the Crohn's... for 16 years before. They gave me a new lease on life way back then when I had diarrhea all the time. Now they have saved my life by keeping the food in my tummy long enough to get the goodness... now I fluctuate between 60kgs and 65kgs... constantly. I did know they were addictive, but I saw it as no choice. So because I have no bowel left to speak of... and no life... I don't give a shit... there could be worse things I get addicted to... and if I wanted to, I could stop taking them and not be here in 6 months... would make a few people happy but not the ones I care about. If I was to let others tell me what was best for me... yep, you guessed it... I wouldn't be here by now... And don't think your doctor knows it all either... mine knew nothing. I have had no support here, so I have done this on my own... And if I can, anyone can... good luck and hope you listen... they aren't for everyone but hope they are for you... nothing worse than the place you're at at the moment... hang in there... P.S. I got sick of eating and drinking 24/7 and that's not an exaggeration.

Past Member

Hi, I am new here and just saw your question about gaining weight. If you have GNC stores in Canada, you could try there. They sell bodybuilding supplements that help with building muscle mass and also weight issues. They may have a solution for you there. It can be a little costly, but it's worth a try. I hope you find something that works for you soon.