Ostomy Memories of Hot Dogs

Replies
Views
HenryM

Many of us are hotdog lovers. Easy to fix, simple to eat. Just shove it into a fresh bun, plop on your favorite additives (mustard etc. – no self-respecting hotdog devotee would sully it with ketchup), and you got your meal. But most people don’t know how the hot dog came to be so named. Despite being ever present at American picnics and holiday gatherings, the simple hot dog was originally a unique Far Eastern delicacy. In Viet Nam, where they have eaten dog for centuries, they used to just roast it on a spit like a rabbit (on Native American reservations) or a squirrel (in West Virginia and some remote parts of Arkansas). But in more modern times, with foreigners always fighting over their territory, the Vietnamese came to realize that most other cultures were revolted at the idea of eating dog. So they disguised it by grinding it up and encasing it in a thin, edible skin (you don’t want to know where that came from). Only later did the more delicate of its devotees come to refer to them as frankfurters or franks when an importer named Frank Chompski became the most well-known supplier of hot dogs. Back when we had a dachshund, the poor little guy used to hide whining in the bathroom whenever he discovered we were eating hot dogs. We switched to knockwursts, but that didn’t seem to mollify him much. Then my spouse had the bright idea of letting him eat one, after which he became a genuine canine cannibal.

w30bob

Ok............I heard that. Mr. Non-Self Respecting Hotdog Devotee here.......and I LOVE ketchup on my hot diggity dogs. Now to be fair, I do switch it up once in a while and if I'm going to eat 3 or 4 hot dogs at a time I will put mustard on ONE of them........just to break up the monotony......or put both on my weiner just to be bold, daring and different. But they make ketchup....and offer it up with your dog.......for a reason. And that reason is it tastes GOOD! Now I have to go back and finish reading your post, as I stopped after that third sentence.

Just finished it.......and you're ok.........I guess I won't have to come over there. But hey...........not to disagree with your "where the name came from", but here's what the infamous National Hot Dog and Sausage Council (and how could you argue with a group with THAT name) have to say about it

How term "hot dog" came about.

Another story that riles serious hot dog historians is how term "hot dog" came about. Some say the word was coined in 1901 at the New York Polo Grounds on a cold April day. Vendors were hawking hot dogs from portable hot water tanks shouting "They're red hot! Get your dachshund sausages while they're red hot!" A New York Journal sports cartoonist, Tad Dorgan, observed the scene and hastily drew a cartoon of barking dachshund sausages nestled warmly in rolls. Not sure how to spell "dachshund" he simply wrote "hot dog!" The cartoon is said to have been a sensation, thus coining the term "hot dog." However, historians have been unable to find this cartoon, despite Dorgan's enormous body of work and his popularity.

Kraig, and other culinary historians, point to college magazines where the word "hot dog" began appearing in the 1890s. The term was current at Yale in the fall of 1894, when "dog wagons" sold hot dogs at the dorms. The name was a sarcastic comment on the provenance of the meat. References to dachshund sausages and ultimately hot dogs can be traced to German immigrants in the 1800s. These immigrants brought not only sausages to America, but dachshund dogs. The name most likely began as a joke about the Germans' small, long, thin dogs. In fact, even Germans called the frankfurter a "little-dog" or "dachshund" sausage, thus linking the word "dog" to their popular concoction.

We can debate over where the name came from..........but no arguing over how great they taste. As an aside........if you ever visited a hot dog making facility (which no one ever allows for obvious reasons) you'd probably lose your lunch and never touch one of those cute little hot doggies ever again. Been there.....and it's NOT pretty. Let's just say when they process meats like hot dogs.......there's not much need for a garbage can in the facility.......if you know what I mean. But I guess if you grind anything up small enough, and cram it full of artificial flavorings......it'll taste good. Sort of like Soylent Green. Which I'm sure Henry will be posting an ostomy memory of any time now.

regards,

bob

;0)

bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bowsprit

Then there is the story about the man from India who finds himself in New York. Lost, bewildered, and famished, he wanders the streets unsure of himself until he runs across a sign that says: "Hot Dogs 5 cents". Well, he goes, mother always told me never to leave Kerala for foreign shores, but might as well eat a dog then die, so he orders a hot dog, but when it is served he goes emphatically: "No, sir, this part of the dog I don't want".

w30bob

That was funny! Thanks now! 

Bob

lovely

No matter where the name came from or what they are made of, they are good eating. I love them on the grill until they are almost burnt. I love them on the bun and homemade chili, a little mustard, and a little onions. Best wishes and stay safe.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
xnine

The only part of Stampede (carnival) I liked was the footlong hotdog. I do not know why they were better than regular dogs, but they were.

HenryM

Simple:  more is better.  Regards, Dr. HenryM  :)

HenryM

Terrific!  Some wag once said that anyone who loves saugage and the law doesn't want to see either of them being made.

w30bob

Yeah, I don't know why it is, but I like mine long and skinny. Rather than short and fat. Hey.....no girlfriend or women's body type jokes people.....this is a family friendly website!! I think it's because as a kid we had a Sabrett's hot dog distributor right near my grandmother's house.........so every time we went to visit we'd swing by and get a case of doggies (always fresh and refrigerated, not frozen). Sabretts are long and skinny, with a rather unique taste and a skin covering that "pops" when you bite into it. Man, I'm getting hungry just talking about it. Off to the supermarket I go.....................

:0)

Bob