Spread Holiday Cheer: Donate Instead of Sending Gifts

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Lily17

Good afternoon, O'mates

In the spirit of the season - and during this year that has been tragic for so many families - rather than mail greeting cards or ship parcels that may end up COVID-contaminated before reaching their destination, I am donating the money I would spend on family and friends to a local food bank and an animal shelter. In the continuing effort to stay healthy, I am also asking that my family and friends not send me anything, either, but donate to a charity of their choice.

Lily17

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kmedup

Hi Lily,

Good on you!

We think alike. A few weeks ago, I phoned several schools in our area (that I am familiar with already) for three families that are struggling: Family A, B, and C (there is no need for names). However, I asked for the ages and gender of the children. I have already sent each family - through the school - gift food cards from one of our supermarkets and gift cards from Toys or Us for the kids - so their parents can buy something the kids would like.

We have stopped gift-giving in our family (as there are no kids under 18 anymore). Rather, we bring different dishes and drinks to enjoy together. This year, alas, we are on Zoom.

My mother passed away sadly in March (she lived a good 87 years with no ailments), and rather than have an in-person Celebration of Life - as there are many older family members - she came from a family of 22 - I typed her tried and true recipes (over the last 40 years) to share with everyone - in the form of a complimentary 200-page digital copy. My daughter's boyfriend created a special font using my mom's beautiful handwriting. The watercolor painting-cover is from an actual photo of her and my daughter when she was younger. The article in the newspapers has seen me upload a copy of this book "No Pie: Goodbye" at least 4 times a day continually – in her memory. I will gladly send anyone on this site a digital copy as well, but ... in case my email **** is FOIPed (crossed out) when I submit this reply, just send me a message and your email - to kmedup - and I will gladly send you a copy.

Merry Christmas, Just K.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
kmedup

They did block my email - shoots - oh well - message me instead.

Lily17

Brava, K!

The realization that I've been so blessed compared to many others in my community is always a sobering thought. Originally, I did this years back to set an example for my young niece - and she's now almost 17, and a very lovely, caring & generous soul.

I'm sorry for your mother's passing, K. Her recipes - personalized in her own handwriting and with original artwork, no less - are a beautiful gift for your family members that can be passed down for generations...and other families', as well! (Yes, I'm messaging you my e-mail! :))

Lily17

w30bob

Are you guys kidding? COVID has given us all the perfect solution to that age-old question of "what to get the people who have everything for Christmas" and you're blowing it! Everyone on my Christmas list is getting the perfect gift this year... a box crammed packed with face masks, hand sanitizer, Lysol, toilet paper, and paper towels in it!!! Even Santa can't touch this!!! Get with it, man!!

Regards,

Bob

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
TerryLT

Hi Lily, what a wonderful idea! I hope you inspire everyone who reads your post to do something similarly kind, generous, and much needed. We are giving extra this year to a wolf sanctuary we support. They have had to close their public access programs, and their continued existence depends on private donations even during normal times. There are so many ways to help and so many of us who have been fortunate enough not to have experienced any major negative impacts of the pandemic. Kudos to you, Lily!

Cheers,

Terry

TerryLT

What an incredibly original and meaningful gift! I would love a digital copy, will PM you my email.

Lily17

Hi, Terry.

Communities of all types - civilized, wild, cosmopolitan, rural - are interconnected, each dependent upon the others. Not every human understands this.

I love wolves! It heartens me to know that you are also helping care for these majestic creatures when they are unable to thrive in nature. The U.S. Wolf Refuge, near Reno, does incredible work for singular wolves and wolf-hybrids.

You also have a generous, caring heart, Terry. Kudos to you! And Merry Christmas to you, to wolves...and to people, also! LOL

Lily17

TerryLT

Always nice to connect with another wolf lover!!  My husband and I have supported a number of different sanctuaries over the years and they all do such important work.  I will always advocate for wolves, any opportunity I get. There is still a lot of work to be done to educate the public and dispel the ridiculous and unwarranted reputation they have as "savage beasts", the whole "big bad wolf" myth.  They are social beings like we are, but they are actually a lot more civilized than us!

Cheers,

Terry

kmedup

Hey ladies,

Unfortunately, the wolf continues to be controversial in Alberta - as most things are here; it is one of those provinces.

We used to relocate them successfully to Yellowstone but as of late there appears to be bounties on them. My brother and I often see one or two across the lake when we are ice fishing. They seldom get close to humans though.   Just, K.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-wolf-predator-species-management-conservation-1.3922612

TerryLT

Hi again,   I thought you might be interested to know, the Trump administration has decided that wolves no longer need to be considered an "endangered species" and they are being removed from the act in all states with the exception of a small area in the southwest where they have been trying to reintroduce red and Mexican wolves. I am hoping the new administration will reverse this decision.

T

TerryLT

Hi K, I'm aware of the situation in Alberta. We are doing no better here in B.C. The misguided attempt to protect mountain caribou by killing wolves (I refuse to use euphemisms like cull) will fail as it always has. The reason mountain caribou numbers are declining is habitat destruction due to human encroachment. The government won't do anything to stop that, but they have to appear to be doing something, so wolves are the scapegoats. It doesn't hurt that it makes the farmers, ranchers, and hunters happy.

Terry

Lily17

Hi, Terry

Yes, I heard that earlier this year, and am quite unhappy about it...and so many other actions taken - or NOT taken - by the current U.S. presidential administration.   *GRRR...   SNARL...*

January 20, 2021 cannot arrive too quickly!

Lily17

dadnabbit

Class acts, guys!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Peace

Dadnabbit