Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,358 members
Next >

Covid-19 shots

 
This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

How many of you are planning on taking the covid-19 shots?

 

Me

MeetAnOstoMate - 28,358 members

 

  Hi lovely, 

I am not. I don't know if it is the right medicine and for which strain. There are too many uncertainties. I thankfully have not gotten sick with anything so far. But I don't want to be a Guinea pig.  I'm sure there will be opposition to this but Idon't care that's my point of view. I've never been politically correct and I don't follow what others do.  :)  ..mountain. 

 

Hi, Lovely~

I am.  Live with my almost-80 Mom, who has asthma, so main concern is for her.  Too much stress while quarantining for 16 days in November due to possibly contracting COVID-19...  (Negative, however!)  Well, there are no guarantees, but I'll be signed up, lined up, as soon as I'm allowed.

Lily17~ 

 

Hi Lovely,

Certainement! I cannot wait for mine on the delivery timeline. For once I am glad I am now a senior - in chronological years only though:0)

Since I am in the people/service industry, in high population density areas, it is a given … as are the regular flu shots no matter their efficacy. 70% is better than 0%. It takes me 5 years to go through one box of Kleenex so I am a great testimonial to any inoculation. There are some people that have reactions but I feel the end justifies the means. I travel sometimes 6 months a year and take a host of other shots like Hepatitis A/B, yellow fever, malaria, pneumococcal etc. Inoculations have always served me well. My first travel ones were when I worked in Papua New Guinea when I was 21. I have just booked my shingles shot for mid-January. There is a lady in my apartment that has shingles and no way am I going there; poor thing. Just, K.

 
Mtnman wrote:

  Hi lovely, 

I am not. I don't know if it is the right medicine and for which strain. There are too many uncertainties. I thankfully have not gotten sick with anything so far. But I don't want to be a Guinea pig.  I'm sure there will be opposition to this but Idon't care that's my point of view. I've never been politically correct and I don't follow what others do.  :)  ..mountain. 

Mtnman ...I get your concerns for sure . I pondered my decision for the longest time .I think it will be even longer for it to be available for me as here they say perhaps August .By that time , I'm curious to know who and what side effects are happening out there . It's all a personal preference and whatever yours is is the best for you .Ritz.


 
Ritz wrote:

Mtnman ...I get your concerns for sure . I pondered my decision for the longest time .I think it will be even longer for it to be available for me as here they say perhaps August .By that time , I'm curious to know who and what side effects are happening out there . It's all a personal preference and whatever yours is is the best for you .Ritz.


  Hi Ritz,

I agree with you. There are many unknowns and when the availability will be. I hope they will keep track of any side effects or how it works and make it known to the public...mtnman. 

 

O yes!!

MBT
 

I received the first dose two weeks ago. The vaccinated arm was sore for 2-3 days. I was a little bit extra tired, too. Thankful to receive the vaccine for myself and the patients in my care 💜

 

I was all for it because I am 80 years old then last week I found out that I have a blood clot in my leg and also my hemoglobin is down to point eight . So I have a doctor's appointment Wednesday so I will be finding out if I should take it are not. I am hoping the iron pills will build my blood up so I don't have to have any blood given to me. They don't want to give me any blood thinners for the blood clot until they get my hemoglobin built back up so I guess it's a wait and see thing but I will take it if they say it's okay. Best wishes and stay safe.

 

Yes, but I do not think it will be until maybe August. Any bad reactions should be identified by then.

 

Blood thinners are not fun. Take care.

lovely wrote:

I was all for it because I am 80 years old then last week I found out that I have a blood clot in my leg and also my hemoglobin is down to point eight . So I have a doctor's appointment Wednesday so I will be finding out if I should take it are not. I am hoping the iron pills will build my blood up so I don't have to have any blood given to me. They don't want to give me any blood thinners for the blood clot until they get my hemoglobin built back up so I guess it's a wait and see thing but I will take it if they say it's okay. Best wishes and stay safe.



 
lovely wrote:

I was all for it because I am 80 years old then last week I found out that I have a blood clot in my leg and also my hemoglobin is down to point eight . So I have a doctor's appointment Wednesday so I will be finding out if I should take it are not. I am hoping the iron pills will build my blood up so I don't have to have any blood given to me. They don't want to give me any blood thinners for the blood clot until they get my hemoglobin built back up so I guess it's a wait and see thing but I will take it if they say it's okay. Best wishes and stay safe.

Take care Lovely and keep us in the loop. You are a precious contributor to this site:)K

 

Hello Lovely.
Yes, I will be having the Covid 19 -vaccine - if only because it rhymes!
Seriously, I’m with K on this one, as I have all the other vaccines that are available, so why not this one?


My wife and I had a long discussion about this when the only option seemed to be the vaccine from the USA.
The problem was not so much with the vaccine but with the continuous stream of lies coming from the US president. Thus, as soon as Donald said it was okay, we immediately questioned its validity and whether we should be offering ourselves up for that one. Fortunately, the Oxford vaccine is now available over here and though the efficacy is only stated as 70%, (compared with 90% for the US vaccine) we are more inclined to believe the truth of this statistic than the higher figure being endorsed by such a blatant liar.


Please don’t think we don’t ‘like’ Donald Trump. We think that he’s been a great entertainer/comedian whilst he has been in office and he has, at times, cracked us up laughing at him and his antics. However, when it comes to something as serious as Covid19, with its death rate and grave effects on those who contract the virus, his kind of humour turns a bit sour.


Of course, Donald Trump has had a great comedy double-act in Boris Johnson, who is just as ‘funny’ in his own lying, devious and dangerous approach to the Covid 19 pandemic (among many other things).


However, as with many ‘comedians’, when the audience has watched and listened to them a few times, their humour becomes somewhat repetitive, stale and no longer ‘funny’. However, it does look as if Donald is going to give us his best comic performance right up to the very end, which we are all looking forward to.

Have a great New Year
Best wishes
Bill

 

Happy New Year Lovely,  I am definitely getting the vacinne, but just not sure when.  I get the flu shot every year and also got the shingles vacinne last year.

Stay well you are a very dear person. Penguins7

 

Yes, probably around end of the month. 


 

Yes as soon as my name comes up on the list to have it I will be there.

I tested postive to covid myself yesterday luckly I have no symptoms hopefully it stays that way 

 
panther wrote:

Yes as soon as my name comes up on the list to have it I will be there.

I tested postive to covid myself yesterday luckly I have no symptoms hopefully it stays that way 

Thinking of you and hope the symptoms are nil to mild. My 28-year old nephew is isolating and watching for symptoms as a member of his house-rental cohort tested positive as well. Just, K.

 

Lovely, Panther & K:

Best wishes & hopes for all of you & your loved ones.  Please keep us updated, and do your best to stay healthy!

Lily17~


 

  Hi lovely,

Yes please let us know how you are. My wife had two pulmonary embolisms both inside of a year. The clots hurt and she is permanently on blood thinners. Research about it online and ask your doctor about it. 

If you need to ask any questions let me know my wife's been through it.  ..mountain. 

 

Getting the jab makes a lot of sense for those whose immunity may be compromised or for those who may have a vulnerable family member at home like Lily17. Which vaccine to take is another decision to make. The Pfizer one is not available to many including me due to its stringent storage conditions. I will have to go to Dubai to take it. Not a bad idea at all, that is a lovely place to visit and there are excellent hotels available at discounted rates due to the general slump in business. The following wise words were spoken by a Finnish expert:" Taking the vaccine is a voluntary decision, but avoiding the disease indefinitely is not a pleasant or workable solution."  

 
bowsprit wrote:

The following wise words were spoken by a Finnish expert:" Taking the vaccine is a voluntary decision, but avoiding the disease indefinitely is not a pleasant or workable solution."  


Very wise words, indeed, Bowsprit!  Thank you for sharing!  :)

Lily17~

 
lovely wrote:

I was all for it because I am 80 years old then last week I found out that I have a blood clot in my leg and also my hemoglobin is down to point eight . So I have a doctor's appointment Wednesday so I will be finding out if I should take it are not. I am hoping the iron pills will build my blood up so I don't have to have any blood given to me. They don't want to give me any blood thinners for the blood clot until they get my hemoglobin built back up so I guess it's a wait and see thing but I will take it if they say it's okay. Best wishes and stay safe.


Hi Lovely,  I think you should take the advice of your doctor, who knows you and your circumstances best.  I will be getting mine for sure, as soon as it's available for those in my age group, which will probably be in the late spring.  

Everything we have heard so far indicates that side effects are minor and any major side effects have been experienced by those who have had bad reactions to vaccinations in the past.  If you have not had a problem with vaccinations throughout your life, it's unlikely you would with this.

All the best,

Terry

 

Hi Lovely,

i am on the fence with taking the vaccine. I worked in the oncology field  and even though I am retired , I am hearing so many nurses and Doctors will not opt to take the vaccine. Kinda makes you wonder! I think the side affects and reactions are minimal so that is not an issue for me. I see my Doctor tomorrow so I will talk to him about it. I have a very strong immune system never getting colds or the flu so I will factor that into my decision. I imagine by the time it gets around to us, there will be more data available to make out decisions. Hope you can get your hgb up without infusions!!
Puppyluv 

 
Puppyluv56 wrote:

Hi Lovely,

i am on the fence with taking the vaccine. I worked in the oncology field  and even though I am retired , I am hearing so many nurses and Doctors will not opt to take the vaccine. Kinda makes you wonder! I think the side affects and reactions are minimal so that is not an issue for me. I see my Doctor tomorrow so I will talk to him about it. I have a very strong immune system never getting colds or the flu so I will factor that into my decision. I imagine by the time it gets around to us, there will be more data available to make out decisions. Hope you can get your hgb up without infusions!!
Puppyluv 


Hi, Puppy~

Are the doctors & nurses of note saying WHY they would opt out?

Glad your immune system is strong!

Had televisit with my GP this morning.  I asked if I should get the shingles vaccine.  She advised that I should, then was even stronger in her opinion when I reminded her of my having no colon, being immuno-compromised.

Lily17~

 
Lily17 wrote:


Hi, Puppy~

Are the doctors & nurses of note saying WHY they would opt out?

Glad your immune system is strong!

Had televisit with my GP this morning.  I asked if I should get the shingles vaccine.  She advised that I should, then was even stronger in her opinion when I reminded her of my having no colon, being immuno-compromised.

Lily17~


Follow-up:

Like me, is anyone else STILL amazed that they can continue to live - thrive, even! - with no colon??  LOL

Lily17~

 

Thanks everyone for the replies. I pray this will help us all and everyone can get soon. Best wishes and stay safe.

 
lovely wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I pray this will help us all and everyone can get soon. Best wishes and stay safe.

May I add my good wishes for your early recovery and good health. Lots of people with cardiac problems take blood thinners without any ill effects.

 
lovely wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I pray this will help us all and everyone can get soon. Best wishes and stay safe.


Hi Lovely and everyone else who responded to this topic.  I have to say I am pleased to see that by far the majority of the MAO members from the U.S. who have responded have indicated that they will get the vaccine.  I was alarmed when I read a poll that showed a large percentage of Americans had said they would not (I forget the exact percentage).  There is a certain percentage of the population that needs to be immune to the virus in order to reach "herd immunity".  Until that happens, things will continue to get worse.  I don't understand the reluctance of those who say they will not get the vaccine.  There is risk in everything we do in life and there is incredible risk if enough people refuse to get the vaccine.  There is a lot of false information out there, conspiracy theories, anti-vaxxers, people who just want to cause chaos for God knows what personal agenda.  I for one, feel I can trust the health authorities in my country who are recommending strongly that everyone get vaccinated.  I have not heard of one health professional who has indicated that they will not, and honestly, I would want to verify the source if I did hear that.

We Canadians living right next door have a vested interest in the U.S. getting this pandemic under control in their country.  We all want our border open again so we can again engage freely in travel back and forth to see friends and family, shopping, etc.  Trade has continued but not without some risk.  We all want the same thing, to get life back to normal and feel safe again.

Sincerely,

Terry

 
Mtnman wrote:

 Hi Mountain, I just posted a reply to Lovely on this topic and I wanted to say it was not directed at you, so I hope you don't take offense. You have the right to make a choice for yourself and I respect your choice and have always thought of you as a kind person with a lot of common sense. I don't consider myself to be "politically correct" either and don't follow what others do, just because. I just honestly don't understand the reluctance to get vaccinated and so I'm expressing my opinion. When literally thousands of people are dying every day, and the status quo is not an option, the risk seems small to me. I understand that it doesn't seem that way for you.
All the best,


Terry

  



* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours