Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,893 members
Next >

Ostomy Memories on Exercise

 
This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

IN MY LATE seventies, I didn’t need to come across this article. As reported in THE WEEK magazine, research regarding the effect of aerobic activity on age-related brain deterioration indicated that after people hit forty years of age, their brains commence to shrink by about five percent every ten years. Even though I was an English major, I can do that math, and it is unnerving.
Some scientists set out to study the impact of exercise on the hippocampus, that area of one’s brain where memories are created and stored. What they discovered was that aerobic activity appeared to dramatically increase the size of the LEFT region of the hippocampus. Unfortunately, this article omits any reference to what, if anything, was determined relating to the RIGHT side of the hippocampus. Perhaps that is where emotions reside, those pesky feelings of agitation and elation that come and go like aeolian breezes. In any event, I can’t say whether the left side is feeding off the right side, or reacting independently to the exercise.
As it turns out, exercise seems to produce a chemical called -- wait for it – “brain-derived neurotrophic factor” that the author of the report claimed “may help to prevent age-related decline by reducing the deterioration of the brain.” No mention in the article of the age of the quoted researcher, which could conceivably help determine the validity of the study.
Think I’ll go for a robust walk, ask Bill to write a verse about the hippocampus, drink more black coffee… or something.

 

Okay...concocted on my walk this morning after I wrote the above post:

The hippocampus is a store / Of ancient memories, and more; / That web of lies that you once built / Floats now in sloppy limbic guilt.

But there is good stuff too, I'm sure, / From all those days when you were pure; / The hope you offered in a tweet; / You helped a blind man cross the street.

But hippocampus won't forget / The negatives that you regret. / Delusion may the truthful leaven, / But only facts are kept in heaven.

MeetAnOstoMate - 28,893 members
 

Hello HenryM.

Thank you for another concept for possible rhyming, although it took me a moment or so to loosely link the subject to 'kindness'. The problem with the hippocampus (sea horse), is that we cannot physically ride it and get our excercise in this way. For some of us, physical exercise is a fast fading delusion, so we must look  for other forms of excercise to keep the little grey cells working. This is surely where MAO correspondence plays its part in helping us exercise the mind.

Best wishes

Bill

BE KIND TO YOU AS YOU GET OLD.

Be kind to you, as you get old
for what I know, and what I’m told,
is that the way our brains are made
will often make our memories fade.

This is not so for everyone,
so, long before our days are done,
we should try to find out why
things go downhill as time goes by.

We see some octogenarians
and sometime centenarians,
who seem to keep their faculties
and shine as personalities.

So, what is it that keeps them fit,
if only in their sharpened wit?
What is the secret of their way
and how do they manage day by day?

Some people will hypothesize,
that it is down to exercise
that helps the brain stay active so
prevents the brain from going slow.

The body may deteriorate
at a most alarming rate,
but this does not mean that the brain
should also be dragged down the drain.

I feel there is something in this
to stop the brain coming amiss,
but the best exercise I find
is exercising of the mind.

There is not much that we can do
to stop our ageing, it is true.
Yet, whilst we’re on that slippery slide,
we might as well, enjoy the ride.

                                         Be Withers 2021

 
Bill wrote:

Hello HenryM.

Thank you for another concept for possible rhyming, although it took me a moment or so to loosely link the subject to 'kindness'. The problem with the hippocampus (sea horse), is that we cannot physically ride it and get our excercise in this way. For some of us, physical exercise is a fast fading delusion, so we must look  for other forms of excercise to keep the little grey cells working. This is surely where MAO correspondence plays its part in helping us exercise the mind.

Best wishes

Bill

BE KIND TO YOU AS YOU GET OLD.

Be kind to you, as you get old
for what I know, and what I’m told,
is that the way our brains are made
will often make our memories fade.

This is not so for everyone,
so, long before our days are done,
we should try to find out why
things go downhill as time goes by.

We see some octogenarians
and sometime centenarians,
who seem to keep their faculties
and shine as personalities.

So, what is it that keeps them fit,
if only in their sharpened wit?
What is the secret of their way
and how do they manage day by day?

Some people will hypothesize,
that it is down to exercise
that helps the brain stay active so
prevents the brain from going slow.

The body may deteriorate
at a most alarming rate,
but this does not mean that the brain
should also be dragged down the drain.

I feel there is something in this
to stop the brain coming amiss,
but the best exercise I find
is exercising of the mind.

There is not much that we can do
to stop our ageing, it is true.
Yet, whilst we’re on that slippery slide,
we might as well, enjoy the ride.

                                         Be Withers 2021

Thanks gents. Like Michiganian Ron said, “Time for my morning read.” I like the "Be" Withers signature. O’Henry has been taken already. Hmmm … 😊 Just, K.

 

I'm out resting during my walk now. Is walking good enough exercise to keep what's left of my brain intact. I sure hope so , as I feel it shrinking with the days

 
kmedup wrote:

Thanks gents. Like Michiganian Ron said, “Time for my morning read.” I like the "Be" Withers signature. O’Henry has been taken already. Hmmm … 😊 Just, K.


Hello K.

Just so you know, the 'e' in 'Be Withers' was adopted recently as part of the signature for rhymes in my book 'B.Withers against Covert Bullying'. The 'e'  should not normally be visible to the naked eye, as it is typed in bold and in a small font, then miniaturised so that it looks like a full-stop. The problem arises when it is copied and pasted into these MAO files, that only seems to accept one font. So, the 'e' becomes the same size as all the other typeface. 

Best wishes

Bill  

 

Hi Henry,  I for one, was really happy when the reports came out claiming that physical exercise has been shown to help prevent cognitive decline.  My husband is a crossword fanatic and does the New York Times weekend puzzle religiously.  He would often make me feel guilty with his claims that he was staving off Alzheimer's by stimulating his brain.  I am a physical exercise fanatic and not a fan of crosswords. What a relief to discover that any kind of exercise is helpful, whether it be mental or physical.  It's all good!  A little bit of both is probably even better.  You with your daily "column" and your daily walk, should have the bases covered. 

All the best,

Terry

 
delgrl525 wrote:

Hi Henry,  I for one, was really happy when the reports came out claiming that physical exercise has been shown to help prevent cognitive decline.  My husband is a crossword fanatic and does the New York Times weekend puzzle religiously.  He would often make me feel guilty with his claims that he was staving off Alzheimer's by stimulating his brain.  I am a physical exercise fanatic and not a fan of crosswords. What a relief to discover that any kind of exercise is helpful, whether it be mental or physical.  It's all good!  A little bit of both is probably even better.  You with your daily "column" and your daily walk, should have the bases covered. 

All the best,

Terry

I work crosswords too, but my mainstay in that area is Scrabble on line vs. the computer.  I waste far too much time at that.

 
HenryM wrote:

I work crosswords too, but my mainstay in that area is Scrabble on line vs. the computer.  I waste far too much time at that.


Not a waste of time!  I love Scrabble, but it's like pulling teeth to get my husband to play a game with me!

T

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours