Ostomy Memories Goes Shopping

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

I RECALL SEEING in Time magazine once that the average annual compensation of the highest paid CEOs fell 15% one year, down all the way from $22.6 million to $19.3 million. I have more sympathy for a skunk with faulty anal scent glands.
It occurred to me that I would have no earthly idea what to do with all that money. Living my life differently than I do would be incomprehensible. I like my life style. I enjoy puttering about in my yard, doing my own laundering, and cooking my own meals. I don’t need to employ a valet, since most of my limited wardrobe hangs unused in my closet. Having a salaried factotum around seems the height of pomposity. With my simple philosophy of life, there’s nowhere to send a gofer for stuff anyway, although we do have a brand-new donut shop that has opened nearby.
I do admit to preferring an upscale grocery store nearby rather than the Walmart we had to use in Utah, and that after a near two-hour drive. Of course, anything is upscale after Walmart. Yet I wonder whether paying higher prices for things would be okay just because I was rich. I’m not sure that a bottomless bank account would neutralize my innate parsimony. Even now, when we reach the cashier at the grocery store, I walk just enough distance away so that I can’t hear her tell my wife the bill total.
Perhaps all cheapskates aren’t so apt to engage in such avoidance techniques. “Where ignorance is bliss,” wrote Thomas Gray in 1742, “’tis folly to be wise.” If you scoff at my reluctance to face the reality of such commonplace phenomena as the price of a box of cereal, let me remind you that it is a significant mental health issue. I am only attempting to preserve my sanity.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello HenryM.  

It's such a pleasure to read your thoughts on such subjects and, I am particularly pleased that you have some sympathy with those skunks who may have faulty scent glands.
My wife might well agree with you regarding trying to avoid what is written and summarised by the 'Bill'.

Best wishes
Bill

I do appreciate other people’s poetry and Pam Aires is one of my favourites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4oydSZTAns

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
dadnabbit

Henry,

There's a lot to be said for simply being contented. Unfortunately, far too many never allow themselves to enjoy that freedom.

Peace

Dadnabbit