Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,955 members
Next >

Ostomy Memories on Autonomous Cars

This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

NO THANKS TO those so-called self-driving cars, also rather euphemistically referred to as autonomous cars. Perhaps I’m too much of a control freak when it comes to the art and pleasure of driving. I don’t even use cruise control. When my wife and I go somewhere together, I always drive, unless she’s having to rush me to the emergency room again. Or it could be nothing more than old-fashioned skepticism about a self-propelled deadly weapon with me inside of it. In any event, give me the tried-and-true vehicle that responds to my hands on the wheel, my feet on the pedals, and my eyes on the road ahead.
Supposedly these robotic vehicles are capable of sensing the environment and navigating around in it without human input. No thanks. I see ads on TV for cars that stop themselves if some object suddenly looms ahead, like a brick wall the driver somehow missed noticing. I just don’t find that reassuring. One assumes, in the age of distracted drivers with handheld devices, that such a boon is a good thing. Distracted driving has been said to be causing more damage on the roads than alcohol-impaired driving. Still, I am not mollified by this new technology.
What makes a driverless car work, presumably, is the use of radar, lidar, GPS, odometry and computer. I had to look up a couple of these words. Lidar is actually an acronym for Light Detection and Ranging. Odometry involves the use of data from motion sensors to estimate change in position over time. Too much reliance upon gimmickry for me.
History tells us all about the wonders of technological progress. My first car, a 1954 Ford with crank windows and no power steering, remains however a positive part of my memory of my teenaged years. Henry Ford, the great American automobile industrialist, once announced that “all history is more or less bunk” anyway. The biggest misstep in his life was either naming his son Edsel, or naming a car after his son.
It is said that these self-driving cars will make roads safer. I don’t find that to be reassuring. Let me know when they invent self-washing cars.

Hi Henry Ford,

Hope you are well. I do share your feelings about one day losing our driving experience to the autonomous future that is fast approaching.

However...it is entirely inevitable that the vision portrayed in so many films will become our real world. Removing flying cars from the equation at least for a while.

Being an Engineer or Technician.. or whatever you would like to call an all round thinking type technical type blokey dude,  I also have a big interest in the topic you outline.

There is to me an absolute profound change ahead regarding these cars. Numerous massive changes that I will try to explain. The outcome is to me not as scary and daunting as we imagine.

It is interesting to first point out the merging of technology and worldly concepts that have coincidentally happening to create these cars.

Firstly,  and most intriguing is A.I. and machine learning. Secondly is battery technology that is improving all the time. Thirdly environment impacts not just on pollution but on the logistics of moving so much stuff around the world, efficiently and safely.

These things are being developed at an exponential rate and the research and technology is boosting and improving many other areas of Engineering I would imagine.

If you could imagine with me for a second. No traffic jams. No stressed out in car hair pulling hat throwing despair looking for that road or building. No fatal multiple RTAs and massive losses in all areas. No thickening up of the upper atmosphere. A safer simpler people friendly road network.

I find this image fascinating and would further start to describe and effect other areas of the environment and world around us.

The insurance market, as massive and expensive as it is would become defunct. There would be no need for any disputes, any long drawn out solicitors cases and claims for who did what and the policing and forensic investigation.  

Cars will become simpler safer happier environment to be in.

Roads are the backbones of our world. They no longer all lead to Rome, but shape our world and create a curb for most other human resources and basic needs. Perhaps these new roads will move and cars become more like high speed individual trains, linked by electronic eyes and not chains.

Either way Henry, I am sure given time for A.I. to learn, given time for us to trust and given time for big corps to decide how to manage and rebuild it all... we will be ok.

It could be done sooner really but who's pockets benefit by all this is probably another story all together.

Also, your car probably won't need cleaning as there won't be any dirt to stick to your Altra PTFE Coated bodywork. It won't even be your car, it will drop you off and then disappear on its next errand. 95% of cars at this moment are just parked up, wasting space. Expensive piles of steel just rusting doing nothing.

I could go on also about car manufacturing being simplified to only a handful of vehicle types that would dramatically reduce costs and consumerism, repairs, garages, and servicing.

It is an absolute massive change to our world and thinking and it is real... watch that bend.. watch them lights.. it is just around the corner.

Stay well,

Stay safe,

MeetAnOstoMate - 28,955 members

OstoMorgan wrote:

Hi Henry Ford,

Hope you are well. I do share your feelings about one day losing our driving experience to the autonomous future that is fast approaching.

However...it is entirely inevitable that the vision portrayed in so many films will become our real world. Removing flying cars from the equation at least for a while.

Being an Engineer or Technician.. or whatever you would like to call an all round thinking type technical type blokey dude,  I also have a big interest in the topic you outline.

There is to me an absolute profound change ahead regarding these cars. Numerous massive changes that I will try to explain. The outcome is to me not as scary and daunting as we imagine.

It is interesting to first point out the merging of technology and worldly concepts that have coincidentally happening to create these cars.

Firstly,  and most intriguing is A.I. and machine learning. Secondly is battery technology that is improving all the time. Thirdly environment impacts not just on pollution but on the logistics of moving so much stuff around the world, efficiently and safely.

These things are being developed at an exponential rate and the research and technology is boosting and improving many other areas of Engineering I would imagine.

If you could imagine with me for a second. No traffic jams. No stressed out in car hair pulling hat throwing despair looking for that road or building. No fatal multiple RTAs and massive losses in all areas. No thickening up of the upper atmosphere. A safer simpler people friendly road network.

I find this image fascinating and would further start to describe and effect other areas of the environment and world around us.

The insurance market, as massive and expensive as it is would become defunct. There would be no need for any disputes, any long drawn out solicitors cases and claims for who did what and the policing and forensic investigation.  

Cars will become simpler safer happier environment to be in.

Roads are the backbones of our world. They no longer all lead to Rome, but shape our world and create a curb for most other human resources and basic needs. Perhaps these new roads will move and cars become more like high speed individual trains, linked by electronic eyes and not chains.

Either way Henry, I am sure given time for A.I. to learn, given time for us to trust and given time for big corps to decide how to manage and rebuild it all... we will be ok.

It could be done sooner really but who's pockets benefit by all this is probably another story all together.

Also, your car probably won't need cleaning as there won't be any dirt to stick to your Altra PTFE Coated bodywork. It won't even be your car, it will drop you off and then disappear on its next errand. 95% of cars at this moment are just parked up, wasting space. Expensive piles of steel just rusting doing nothing.

I could go on also about car manufacturing being simplified to only a handful of vehicle types that would dramatically reduce costs and consumerism, repairs, garages, and servicing.

It is an absolute massive change to our world and thinking and it is real... watch that bend.. watch them lights.. it is just around the corner.

Stay well,

Stay safe,

Terrific response, O'Morgan.  I love the part about making insurance companies defunct.  I've no doubt you've accurately pegged our automotive future, but I have to say that I'm not sad that I won't live to see it.  I'm old-school enough to fear the prospect of AI and the repercussions of it.  Anything even faintly Orwellian puts me off my game.  Stay well.

Hi Henry my son inlaw is an elec. engineer and comp. science prof. and does work along with his students at the local univ. where they,ve been testing self driving cars for GM, they started with a wheeled robot on a course set up in a parking lot and when GM saw how good it worked they brought out arizona and set up a gm car and a course out there, when they were done gm offered a job to the students working on the project.

Hello HenryM. 

I can understand your feelings of wanting to be in control of the vehicle you drive. However, having never much liked driving myself, I have always dreamed of the day when we would be able to have 'pods', that would enable us to 'dial up' a destination and await arrival, quickly and safely, without any of the faff of having to cope with other drivers plus road and traffic conditions. The vast majority of vehicles only carry one person (the driver) so, there should be little need for vehicles that are at least eight times the size that is needed to transport them. It might be different in a country the size of the USA, but here in the UK it sometimes takes more than 15 minutes just to get out of my drive - because of the volume of traffic (which is often completely stopped tail to tail). Something 'different' needs to happen to sort out an ever growing problem both with transport and pollution. Automation with non-emmision vehicles might be a good start for the people and the planet.

Best wishes

Bill

ron in mich wrote:

Hi Henry my son inlaw is an elec. engineer and comp. science prof. and does work along with his students at the local univ. where they,ve been testing self driving cars for GM, they started with a wheeled robot on a course set up in a parking lot and when GM saw how good it worked they brought out arizona and set up a gm car and a course out there, when they were done gm offered a job to the students working on the project.

Hi Ron.

Great to hear the opportunities and developments made in this massively growing sector.

Does your son in law need further help. A representative in the UK to help build this future vision.

Available for online chats anytime. Stoma UK. SELF TRANSPORTATION OF MATERIALS AND HUMANS UK..

Kind Regards...

OstoMorgan wrote:

Hi Ron.

Great to hear the opportunities and developments made in this massively growing sector.

Does your son in law need further help. A representative in the UK to help build this future vision.

Available for online chats anytime. Stoma UK. SELF TRANSPORTATION OF MATERIALS AND HUMANS UK..

Kind Regards...

Hi Ostomorgan if you want to be one of his students apply to mtu.edu.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.