Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,955 members
Next >

Ostomy Memories of Oscar Levant

This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

TO ME A CURMUDGEON is an attractive person. Known to be irascible and difficult, they also possess a sharp wit and an abhorrence of pretense and pomposity.
OSCAR LEVANT was a world-class curmudgeon. Born in 1906, his parents ran a jewelry store. He allegedly tried to run away from home at the age of ten months. When asked what he wanted to be when he grew up, he said “an orphan.” A close friend of George Gershwin, Levant worked as a songwriter in the 40s. He was a chain-smoking, wisecracking, tortured genius whose normal facial expression was one of amused disgust. He was a manic-depressive, an insomniac, a hypochondriac and, by the end of his life, a walking pharmacopeia. He appeared occasionally on TV talk shows and surprised viewers with his caustic repartee and open discussion of his psychiatric history. His last TV appearance was on Jack Paar’s Tonight Show. After Levant’s death in 1972, Paar closed all his shows with the line: “Good night, Oscar Levant, wherever you are.” Here are some Levantisms:
During a poker game he was told of Judy Garland’s latest suicide attempt. “Let’s see,” he said, dealing a hand, “she’s two up on me in suicide attempts, but I’m three up on her in nervous breakdowns. Or is it the other way around?”
“I’m a study of a man in chaos in search of frenzy.”
“Under this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.”
“I was once thrown out of a mental hospital for depressing the other patients.”
“The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.”
Here’s to you, Oscar Levant, wherever you are.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.