Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 23,3K + members

Thirsty

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:01 am

What does everyone drink to stay hydrated ? I am consantly drinking water. I find it gets nauseating after the second bottle. I don't like pop or juice. I do gaterade some times, not really a fan of that neither.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:53 am

Daanders 

I can drink water all day, but I will add a little Gatorade (50:50) or add a little propel flavor to it if I need a little boost in taste.  Full strength sports drinks a too sweet for all day consumption for me. Good luck, stay hydrated!

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:47 am

Daanders,

You can also drink Pedialyte for adults but it's a little more expensive.

Bain

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:34 am

agree with all above said.  there is another thing out there  called liquid IV.   a hydration multiplier.  comes in packets.. offered on amazon.   they are sold  in packets you add to  water.   Not a fan of lemon lime which seems to be popular.   i tried two packets of it.   blaaa.   they offer other flavors.   best approach is  to buy just two packets not 8 or 18... check it out.  my PCP  suggested it.    this stuff aint cheap.   sticking to water and or flavoring it might work for you.  I didnt like  pedialyte.. i guess its an aquired taste for some.  water can be blaa too but its the quickest cheapest form to stay hydrated....   stay away from sugar drinks.. nice to see gatorade  comes on "zero" sugar too.  there is "power aid" I drink.. no sugar there either.  .88 cents a bottle.  tastes like watered down gatorade tho.. but drinkable. good luck.     hi ho silver....  Warrior.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:40 am

For me, constantly drinking water took some time to get used to.  I tried switching off and on to Gatorade or other flavored water, but eventually I got used to just water.  I drink four 24 oz. bottles per day because I wasn't properly advised early on about the importance of staying hydrated and my kidney function deteriorated eventually.   Now they operate at 37-40% and I have no choice but to keep drinking water.  I regard it as medicinal, the same thing I said about scotch in my Thirties.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:00 pm

Scotch.... yea that not regular fuel, its high octane paint remover.  sorry to hear about your kidneys. I think in general you need to drink and drain on a daily basis. filter out them toxins  we breath and eat and drink.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:13 pm

I used the Mio flavor additive in my water for a long time. It gets expensive when drinking so much water. I switched to the Walmart brand of flavor packets. 10 packets to a box for a dollar. I like the blackberry lemonade and my husband fav is the Cherry-Pomegranate. For a buck each box, you can try all the flavors for very little cost. 
good luck! I hate plain water! This makes it okay for me. That is all I drink except coffee In the morning. 

Puppyluv

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:17 pm
Puppyluv56 wrote:

I used the Mio flavor additive in my water for a long time. It gets expensive when drinking so much water. I switched to the Walmart brand of flavor packets. 10 packets to a box for a dollar. I like the blackberry lemonade and my husband fav is the Cherry-Pomegranate. For a buck each box, you can try all the flavors for very little cost. 
good luck! I hate plain water! This makes it okay for me. That is all I drink except coffee In the morning. 

Puppyluv

hey pup?  what about the sugar content? it is a steal at that price.. but the big picutre behind it?  datalotta sugar, honey. 

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:19 pm

Hello Daanders.

Thanks for this interesting question.

I have been drinking plain hot water for years and rarely get bored of the taste. I consider water to be a great flushing agent and, as has already been said, we all need to stay hydrated. 

Before I psychologically adjusted to the plain water I was an avid user of herbal 'tea'. I have a range of different mints in the garden along with many other herbs. My wife likes chamomile because it is supposed to have a relaxing effect. However, there are so many other flavours to try. I quite like blackcurrent occasionally. One tip I would share for those who enjoy mint: The water smells and tastes great with just a drop of mint-oil on top. There is virtually no prepartion- The oil floats, so the effect is that you are drinking the water through the flavour. The mint oil and many other flavourings are used in cooking. They are quite cheap and readily available.

I hope this helps with you adjustment to drinking as much water as you need.

Best wishes

Bill 

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:25 pm

Hi, some fresh fruit in water makes for a very refreshing drink. I especially like watermelon. I also enjoy cucumber slices. 

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:18 pm

Oatmeal, cucumbers, smoothies, salads, if they are allowed, they contain a lot of water. Beer isn't recommended but I drink it anyway. Cheers.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:25 pm
warrior wrote:it has 5 calories per serving but no sugar. 2 Carbs

hey pup?  what about the sugar content? it is a steal at that price.. but the big picutre behind it?  datalotta sugar, honey. 

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:07 am

Hey Daanders,  I just discovered the liquid IV hydration multiplier (that Warrior mentioned) that comes in packets and you pour into bottle of water. I really like them plus they have the sodium (500mg) that we all badly require with an ilestomy.  Plus lots of vitamins.  I purchased mine at Costco and got the strawberry flavor. I'm not a big Gatorade fan due to high frustose/sugar content.  Liquid IV has 1/2 sugar content of Gatorade and 2-3x more hydration that water alone. Stay well. Penguins7

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:26 am

Hi all i drink a variety of fluids, coffee, green teas hot and cold, 3 flavors of powdered gatorade lime, orange and frost, and water some times with lemon or lime consentrate in it.  

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:56 am

I occasionally drink low sugar ginger ale.

I'm not a big fan of ginger ale but it seems to quench my thirst.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:15 am

Yea it does get old drinking plain ol water I use the water flavoring and having it really cold dies the trick for me. I'm currently downing just shy of 1 gallon daily.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:36 pm

Besides everything stated above, I like drinking a cup or two of no sodium chicken stock/ or broth every day.  I just add my own salt and pepper to it.  It's yummy.  lol

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:08 pm
Morning glory wrote:

Hi, some fresh fruit in water makes for a very refreshing drink. I especially like watermelon. I also enjoy cucumber slices. 

Great idea I totally forgot about that 

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:44 pm
Morning glory wrote:

My mind also went to fresh fruit and herbs in water...citrus, melon, cukes, mint, gingerroot, berries.

My GI tract doesn't tolerate artificial sweeteners, so I avoid them at all costs.

There's nothing like having a "drinking problem" that doesn't involve alcohol...  LOL

Lily17~

Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:50 pm
warrior wrote:

agree with all above said.  there is another thing out there  called liquid IV.   a hydration multiplier.  comes in packets.. offered on amazon.   they are sold  in packets you add to  water.   Not a fan of lemon lime which seems to be popular.   i tried two packets of it.   blaaa.   they offer other flavors.   best approach is  to buy just two packets not 8 or 18... check it out.  my PCP  suggested it.    this stuff aint cheap.   sticking to water and or flavoring it might work for you.  I didnt like  pedialyte.. i guess its an aquired taste for some.  water can be blaa too but its the quickest cheapest form to stay hydrated....   stay away from sugar drinks.. nice to see gatorade  comes on "zero" sugar too.  there is "power aid" I drink.. no sugar there either.  .88 cents a bottle.  tastes like watered down gatorade tho.. but drinkable. good luck.     hi ho silver....  Warrior.

I drink a glass of liquid IV every day with lunch. I like the passion fruit flavor.

Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:38 pm

Bonsoir,

Toujours avoir soif??....peut-être regarder avec votre médecin pour le ''diabète''?

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:42 pm
Morning glory wrote:

Always put lemons and limes or strawberries and oranges in water out when I have company. It is tasty' 

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:35 am

Hello All,

Agree with all about staying hydrated so important. One component our bodies are made of.

I have a urostomy 

And I agree water can be drag have to make yourself drink. These are just a few things help me.

Plenty of ice in my water or cool  

Coconut water

, put fresh mint and slice of lemon 🍋 and a slice of ginger aka know detox water . Quenched my thirst especially summer.  And good for your system 

water and cucumber + fruit if u like 

I also perfect ph balance water.  It help Quenched. My thirst 

Hibiscus boil in your water  is not sweet bit tart but good I put some  Agaba sweetener organic.  Taste like cranberry juice. All natural. Also to in produce section it called  jicama it is very hydrated and refreshing to your taste buds.  I have never been one for Gatorade salty taste to me. 

Thanks for letting me share and take care all ;)

BAYS

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.