Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Anemia

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:45 pm

hey there... 

anyone have moderate to severe anemia from blood loss?  i'm struggling to adjust my diet and while the dr doubled the supplement, i'm still looking at maybe needing an iron infusion. 

1) anyone had an iron infusion before? any side effects? do they take a long time? (i forgot to ask the dr when he mentioned it). 

2) any ideas i can try to get rid of the anemia related headaches? I've tried excederine migraine and ibuprofen (dr suggestion), but i think they make the bleeding worse and cause other issues with my stomach.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:59 pm

I have had my Illiostomy for 23 years, and I have been anemic for years!

a few years ago, I Did get the Iron infusions, my biggest problem was, my veins are deep and they have a hell of a

time getting a IV into me! The Iron infusion takes about 1 hr

I went about once a month for about a year, before my Iron 

got where it's supposed to be!

Now I'm anemic again, so here we go again! But its really not a big deal to do it!

Good Luck and enjoy life👍😀

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:08 pm

A friend of mine who has chronic kidney disease also had to take iron infusions, but the doctor said she wasn't able to absorb the iron unless she also took Vitamin D supplements - large ones. This would need to be monitored by a doctor, because I believe you can take too much. Ask your doctor about that. And sunshine! Getting out in the sun is a natural Vitamin D factory for your body.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:16 pm

Hi WIGirl43,

Hello I am BAYS, I totally know what you are dealing with I myself dealt with severe enemia my level was 5.6 . Phew was scary time for me.

1.  iron infusion: I have had many they take about 30 minutes to an hour and I didn't feel any pain while having it. Maybe site a little sore. Just like another IV given. It looks brown in color thick like molasses.  I  tasted a hint of  Licorice while IV was being given. One more thing best place to have IV when giving iron infusion is the fold of your arm or in that area. Other areas can make that area more painful and area hard. But if that happens warm packs and massage area. It gets better. 

Extra note my enemia was so bad I also was given  Epigene shots.  To boost my blood levels it was a life saver. I needed both before my surgery to get ready and after. I stop all in January of 2021 no more iron or epigene treatment. I still take iron twice a day now.

I know we all different but I would use to make protein shakes with  Spinach and strawberry banana peanut butter powder and whey protein and beats. And of course with my iron supplement I also used  Probiotics. And eat liver if u can best boost.  But I don't like it. 

2. Enemia headaches 😫.  I used Tylenol don't use ibuprofen it does make bleeding worse. I just tried my best to stay hydrated I put fresh mint and lemon and a tiny slice of ginger in my ph 9.5 water. And also sucked  peppermint. But also rest and don't over due it your body working really hard. 

I have also used edibles for my headache 🙃 to relax me because the headaches can be a bit much.

Wishing you the best with this and take care.  I am 👂🙂

BAYS ;)

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:20 pm
Newbie Dana wrote:

A friend of mine who has chronic kidney disease also had to take iron infusions, but the doctor said she wasn't able to absorb the iron unless she also took Vitamin D supplements - large ones. This would need to be monitored by a doctor, because I believe you can take too much. Ask your doctor about that. And sunshine! Getting out in the sun is a natural Vitamin D factory for your body.

Hi Dana, 

Yes you are totally right vitamin D a game changer and zinc and vitamin C for me.

BAYS ;)

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:11 pm

I have Iron deficiency anemia the Dr put me on iron pills twice a day. They caused me to get backed up and I had to go on pills for constipation. So I am taking liquid Geritol. I did not know they still made this, LOL. My level was eight. I hope they can get your leval up soon . Best wishes and stay safe

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:28 pm
lovely wrote:

I have Iron deficiency anemia the Dr put me on iron pills twice a day. They caused me to get backed up and I had to go on pills for constipation. So I am taking liquid Geritol. I did not know they still made this, LOL. My level was eight. I hope they can get your leval up soon . Best wishes and stay safe

Geritol! I didn't know they still make that either!  I'll try to increase liquid intake too while on the double iron...I didn't know that could be a side effect! 

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:30 pm
bays6513 wrote:

Hi WIGirl43,

Hello I am BAYS, I totally know what you are dealing with I myself dealt with severe enemia my level was 5.6 . Phew was scary time for me.

1.  iron infusion: I have had many they take about 30 minutes to an hour and I didn't feel any pain while having it. Maybe site a little sore. Just like another IV given. It looks brown in color thick like molasses.  I tasted a hint of  Licorice while IV was being given. One more thing best place to have IV when giving iron infusion is the fold of your arm or in that area. Other areas can make that area more painful and area hard. But if that happens warm packs and massage area. It gets better. 

Extra note my enemia was so bad I also was given  Epigene shots.  To boost my blood levels it was a life saver. I needed both before my surgery to get ready and after. I stop all in January of 2021 no more iron or epigene treatment. I still take iron twice a day now.

I know we all different but I would use to make protein shakes with  Spinach and strawberry banana peanut butter powder and whey protein and beats. And of course with my iron supplement I also used  Probiotics. And eat liver if u can best boost.  But I don't like it. 

2. Enemia headaches 😫.  I used Tylenol don't use ibuprofen it does make bleeding worse. I just tried my best to stay hydrated I put fresh mint and lemon and a tiny slice of ginger in my ph 9.5 water. And also sucked  peppermint. But also rest and don't over due it your body working really hard. 

I have also used edibles for my headache 🙃 to relax me because the headaches can be a bit much.

Wishing you the best with this and take care.  I am 👂🙂

BAYS ;)

I'll try to work more high iron things into my morning smoothies, that's a good idea.  Thanks for the reply!

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:32 pm
Newbie Dana wrote:

Thanks for the reply!  I'm already on vitD because that's usually low too.  

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:08 pm
Capt Dave wrote:

I have had my Illiostomy for 23 years, and I have been anemic for years!

a few years ago, I Did get the Iron infusions, my biggest problem was, my veins are deep and they have a hell of a

time getting a IV into me! The Iron infusion takes about 1 hr

I went about once a month for about a year, before my Iron 

got where it's supposed to be!

Now I'm anemic again, so here we go again! But its really not a big deal to do it!

Good Luck and enjoy life👍😀

Have you thought of having a port placed to aid in your infusion. Sure saves your veins and the pain of the sticks!

Puppyluv

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:14 am

When I had my op in 2020 doctors said that I had lost a lot of blood and recommended a iron infusion.

As the line was still in my arm they gave me 1 litre of iron infusion  and  i felt a lot better after and no where near as tired, 

and no side affects it took about an hour. 

I live in New Zealand and there is no cost for hospital or surgery  including pouches etc which are supplied forever.

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:17 am

Hiya

I have had anaemia all my life.  However my body has adjusted to lower IRON levels.

When I have surgery I get a two hour IRON infusion just to give me a boost.  They don't hurt at all, just a little uncomfortable and you will feel so much better after them.

It is much easier than trying to take IRON orally and the effects are immediate. GO FOR IT!!! 🤗

Kind Regards

Lorraine 

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:15 am

Yes I have had both kinds of anemia  B-12 and iron.  Floradix is a great remedy, buy on line.

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:16 am

Yes I have had both kinds of anemia  B-12 and iron.  Floradix is a great remedy, buy on line.

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:34 pm
JudiA wrote:

i'll check it out, thanks! 

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:41 pm
Brod wrote:

When I had my op in 2020 doctors said that I had lost a lot of blood and recommended a iron infusion.

As the line was still in my arm they gave me 1 litre of iron infusion  and  i felt a lot better after and no where near as tired, 

and no side affects it took about an hour. 

I live in New Zealand and there is no cost for hospital or surgery  including pouches etc which are supplied forever.

You are lucky to get everything paid for. I looked up some info about New Zealand it looks like a beautiful place. I was also amazed that our winter months are your summer months. Best wishes and stay safe

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:55 am

I will say Floradix did me good most health food places can get it or you can order on line.  New Zealand is on my bucket list, but Covid has deterred me, maybe too long.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.