Need Help with Mom's Pumpkin Strudel Recipe!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
xnine

Tried to make Mom's pumpkin strudel, it was good but just not the same.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

Xnine, some things can never measure up to Mom; especially cooking. My mother was the best cook in the world.

She taught me but some things just weren't the same. My son says the same thing about my cooking. LOL.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

Wow! Xnine, you did great! I feel the same way about my grandmother's recipes. Before she passed, I took her recipes and she translated them for me, and I typed them on recipe cards (before computers) and put them in a photo album behind plastic. I would spend weeks helping her to make the thousands of cookies that she made every Christmas. I just think they taste better than mine because of the love she put in them. I make Kolooke every year, and it tastes like hers but nowhere near as pretty!
Maybe one day I will get better at it!

Keep trying if yours is not exactly how you think it should be. Practice makes perfect, as well as the scales going up!
Pup

lovely

Not just my mom but other people have given me their recipes and it never comes out the same. You think you have followed them all the way but not the same. Maybe it is the different brands of things you use or maybe they forget one little detail. LOL

bays6513

Hi,

Looks yummy! Love pumpkin. I'll take a piece with tea, please.

There is nothing better than mom's cooking.

Thanks for sharing.

BAYS

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
HenryM

I'm another who goes back to grandma.  Her molasses cookies were to be savored, but as many times as I've followed her recipe, it's still not the same thing.

bays6513

Sounds delicious...

Awh yes, grandma cooking for me was tamales and Christmas bread pudding. And of course, homemade flour tortillas. Amazing.

It was a tradition for me to learn and see my grandmother make, and I helped too. But on my own, no way near my grandmother's cooking heavenly.

Earth Angel

Wow! Those look delicious! I'll bet they're so good! Enjoy!

xnine

Pumpkin was from the garden. Finally used it up. Picture does not show it all, made 8 pieces plus a bunch of pumpkin for the freezer.

Past Member

Great job xnine!

I know what you all mean. My mom is 92 now. I tried years ago to ask her about recipes and she would say she never measured anything. A dash here and a pinch of this.. ugh. It's lost, I'm afraid. (Alzheimer's).. mountain.

Puppyluv56

That is how my grandmother did, a finger of this and that as well as a dash and a pinch. Frustrating but it actually makes sense if you don't have measuring spoons! Lol

Pup

Lily17

I have tried to cook down raw pumpkin from the fruit and I just didn't have the patience for it, and it never came out with a smooth texture, like the Libby's canned pumpkin (squash).

Just give me a can of Libby's, and I'll take it from there with making the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe - with 150 of the spices! :)

"First World" problems, ya' know? LOL

Lily17

Tosiris

While tackling pumpkin pie, have you ever thought about venturing into how to make pico de gallo? It's a versatile recipe that adds a fresh kick to various dishes and might just be a delightful addition to your culinary repertoire. Happy baking and experimenting in the kitchen! 

You should see: https://www.delishknowledge.com/pico-de-gallo/