Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 24,1K + members

Ostomy Memories of 1968

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:32 am

WE JUST CELEBRATED OUR 53rd anniversary by watching two movies from 1968, the year we were married. My wife picked “2001: A Space Odyssey.” My choice was “Planet of the Apes.” Interestingly, both films dealt with space travel, and both films involved apes. The contrast between the imaginations of Stanley Kubrick (2001) and Rod Serling (Planet of the Apes) is fascinating. Both films have their lovers and critics. Both won the awards one would expect them to have won: “2001” for Best Special Visual Effects, and John Chambers as the make-up and prosthetic make-up artist who did the apes on the “upside down planet” in the words of Heston’s character. [Chambers was also known for Spock’s ears.] My wife and I sat in the first row of the theatre to see “2001” when it first came out and we were blown away, partly – perhaps – because we were surrounded by people smoking grass. I didn’t understand the film then and I can only imagine what it’s supposed to mean now. As for “Planet of the Apes,” the final scene gets me every time I see it: the remains of the Statue of Liberty, and Heston – not the world’s greatest actor – declaiming on the beach. Watching these two flicks, I felt as if we were ourselves traveling through a space-time continuum, doing our own little “back to the future” maneuver. It was a limited, but entertaining, way to look back fifty-three years.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:07 am

Hello HenryM, 

Congrats 👏 Happy Anniversary! 🥳🎈🎉🎈love how you both celebrated celebrated and so sweet.  

Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:37 am

Hello HenryM.

Congratulations, and thank you so much for this post as it comes as a timely reminder of my own wedding anniversary which is on the 20th June, (from 1967)which I'm otherwise prone to forgetting! (along with most other important things in life.) I was trying to think of something I could do to show how much I have appreciated my long-standing partner on this journey. You and your post have triggered an idea of what might be an appropriate gesture. I will purchase one of these photosticks that save and arrange all the photos stored on various devices. We could then browse through our history-in-pictures together. Thanks for that!

Best wishes

Bill

Last edited by Bill on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:38 am

Hi Henry congrats on your anniversary, and i thought i was the only one not getting the movie a space oddessy.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:40 pm

Happy Anniversary Henry that is quite a milestone.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:08 pm

Happy anniversary Henry and may you have many more to come!

Cheers,

Terry

Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Bill wrote:  

Hello HenryM.

Congratulations, and thank you so much for this post as it comes as a timely reminder of my own wedding anniversary which is on the 20th June, (from 1967)which I'm otherwise prone to forgetting! (along with most other important things in life.) I was trying to think of something I could do to show how much I have appreciated my long-standing partner on this journey. You and your post have triggered an idea of what might be an appropriate gesture. I will purchase one of these photosticks that save and arrange all the photos stored on various devices. We could then browse through our history-in-pictures together. Thanks for that!

Best wishes

Bill

Good afternoon Bill,

I love your idea too. Your wife will love it so much 😍.  

I feel you and HenryM are both unique gentlemen the last of its kind. Seems u both know the secrets to a long lasting blissful marriage.

Congrats 🥂

Respectful 

BAYS 🦋🎼🌸

Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:09 pm

bays6513 wrote:  

Good afternoon Bill,

I love your idea too. Your wife will love it so much 😍.  

I feel you and HenryM are both unique gentlemen the last of its kind. Seems u both know the secrets to a long lasting blissful marriage.

Congrats 🥂

Respectful 

BAYS 🦋🎼🌸

Just so that it won't be a secret, I'll tell you my wife's explanation for our long marriage:  "a short memory and a sense of humor"   Simple as that, folks.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:26 pm

HenryM wrote:  

Just so that it won't be a secret, I'll tell you my wife's explanation for our long marriage:  "a short memory and a sense of humor"   Simple as that, folks.

Love it ! That seems so simple.. 

Good advice from wife 😉 she a smart cookie .

Blessings to you all 💕

BAYS 🦋🎼🌸

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:30 am

HenryM wrote:  

There are no deep secrets or magic formulas to staying together for a long time.  I consider myself very fortunate inasmuch as my wife treats me like any other 'pet' and adheres to the cannon: 'A pet is for life - not just for christmas!' For my part, having studied 'companion animals', I found that they manifest certain characteristics in their relationships, which I think are worthwhile for us humans to cultivate in any relationship. I have listed them as my 'AIMS FOR TODAY'. which I have shared before but I am not averse to sharing again. 

Best wishes

Bill

AIMS FOR TODAY
1. To BE – THERE
2. To be CONSISTENT
3. To be HONEST, GENUINE & SINCERE
4. To be NON-JUDGEMENTAL
5. To LISTEN: Empathetically
6. To keep things CONFIDENTIAL
7. To ENABLE & EMPOWER (DIY process)
8. To show POSITIVE REGARD (unconditional)
9. To show RESPECT for INDIVIDUALITY
FEELING & NEEDS
10. To FOCUS CARING (according to my principles)

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:46 pm

Happy Anniversary, Henry.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:09 am

On the subject of long-lasting marriages, I am sure it takes solid effort on the part of both partners to make them succeed. Without offending anyone, I would like to point out that some people find it difficult to manage a long-term relationship and there are others who think that ten five year relationships are better than one 50 year marriage. I am not one of them, though, unfortunately, both my efforts at marital bliss foundered on the rocks. What do other ostomates think?

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:54 pm

bowsprit wrote:  

On the subject of long-lasting marriages, I am sure it takes solid effort on the part of both partners to make them succeed. Without offending anyone, I would like to point out that some people find it difficult to manage a long-term relationship and there are others who think that ten five year relationships are better than one 50 year marriage. I am not one of them, though, unfortunately, both my efforts at marital bliss foundered on the rocks. What do other ostomates think?

bowsprit wrote:  

Hi Bowsprit,  I am almost 36 years into my relationship/marriage, and I think that luck plays a big part.  Finding someone who you share the same values with, laughs at the same jokes and is able to put up with you is not an easy thing.  Once you have found that person, you need to learn to put up with them, which may not be easy either.  Patience, and loads of it, may be required.  I do think that patience and compromise is required on both sides because there will always be things about that person that drive you crazy and vice versa.  Is it worth the effort?  Absolutely!  There is nothing better than being with someone who knows you completely, warts and all, and loves you anyway.  I am lucky to be married to my best friend, even though he regularly makes me want to tear my hair out!  I consider myself very lucky.

Cheers,

Terry

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:20 am

Bill wrote:  

Hello HenryM.

Best wishes

Bill

Hello Bill.

Joyeux Anniversaire

The day coincides with Royal Ascot, the horses will bring you luck. The greeting is in French for a reason. I won at 18/1 on Highfield Princess a French horse in the 18:10 at Ascot on the 17th. She wasn't mentioned anywhere by the pundits, at least I didn't see it. She just happened to catch my eye. There are few occassions as exciting as watching your horse beat the others from start to finish. Just the item to bring a struggling 'baggie' into high spirits. Visitors from overseas are allowed at Ascot if they are in their formal national attire or sevice dress. It is as famous for fashion as it is for racing, very competitive though, some of the best horses in the world putting in their best including some from the US. Hard to beat the bookie or the smart money. Best wishes.

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:43 am

delgrl525 wrote:  

Hi Bowsprit,  I am almost 36 years into my relationship/marriage, and I think that luck plays a big part.  Finding someone who you share the same values with, laughs at the same jokes and is able to put up with you is not an easy thing.  Once you have found that person, you need to learn to put up with them, which may not be easy either.  Patience, and loads of it, may be required.  I do think that patience and compromise is required on both sides because there will always be things about that person that drive you crazy and vice versa.  Is it worth the effort?  Absolutely!  There is nothing better than being with someone who knows you completely, warts and all, and loves you anyway.  I am lucky to be married to my best friend, even though he regularly makes me want to tear my hair out!  I consider myself very lucky.

Cheers,

Terry

Sage advice from lived experience and knowledge, delgrl525. Thanks. The internet is good at answering problems like how to remove stains from a carpet but its the personal problems that are tough to handle without advice. All the best wishes.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.