Ostomy Memories of Missing Socks

Replies
Views
HenryM

NOTES FOR AN ARTICLE ON MISSING SOCKS

SOCRATES: inventor of the sock
DANTE: His nine-circle inferno originally had a tenth circle where foot fetishers, people who wear socks with sandals, and washing machine salesmen are doomed to pursue missing socks blowing in the infernal maelstrom
ISAAC NEWTON’s successor scientists: Just as Newton advanced the theory of gravitation after observing a falling apple, so did scientists who came after him devise the term “half-life” to describe the depreciating period of time following the purchase of a pair of socks before one goes missing, the same theory later applied to the fixed, invariable amount of time it takes half of an original sample of a radioactive substance like uranium, radium or carbon-14 to break down
HENRY VIII: He didn’t have his various wives sent to the guillotine because they were infertile, or couldn’t produce an heir. It was because they were inept in managing the laundry staff and socks kept turning up missing.
SHAKESPEARE’S RICHARD III: In the first draft of Act V, iv, 7, the king cried “My missing sock! My missing sock! My kingdom for my missing sock!” His editor insisted he change “sock” to “horse.”
THE ALAMO: The Mexicans were attacking the Alamo because a repatriated former California grove worker had told them that all the missing socks from Guadalajara were being used to stuff bedding in the fort.
1929 MARKET CRASH: It was actually caused by huge losses in sock futures due to the early onset of the missing sock phenomenon occurring after underage sock weavers walked off the job to protest in favor of proposed child labor laws, carrying with them thousands of individual socks from what had been pairs. The Sock Market later became known as the Stock Market to help cover up this story.
BAY OF PIGS: This attack was launched from Miami, which has notoriously sock-eating laundromats, so many of the invading Cubans were forced to wear boots without socks, causing them to founder on the beach and be defeated.
GOOD THINGS RESULTING FROM THE MISSING SOCK PHENOMENON: Sock monkeys, flip flops, the film “The Barefoot Contessa”

xnine

I was always trying to buy the same socks, navy blue long. The store kept changing their supplier so they were never the same. I had various pairs of one knee-high and one mid-calf. Now I buy patterned ones and problem solved.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,357 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

What an imagination you have, Henry! My favourite is the "half-life" of socks! Too funny!

Caz67

Henry, you are a genius, but can I ask, have you been able to fathom out where my other sock is? Is it just me or do other people put the single sock in a drawer, hoping one year you might just might find the other???? Xx

HenryM

My suspicion has always been that all of our thousands of missing socks have gravitated to an off-shore island some place where they engage in 24/7 partying, unrestrained sex, and continual laughter that sounds like water boiling.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Caz67

That's an invite I wouldn't turn down lol. Cx

TerryLT

I've done that!

Casper9
Caz67

Henry, you were right xx