Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 24,1K + members

How to deal with stress, depression or thinking you've got it bad.

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:11 pm

If that's you.....here's what you do.  Head over to your nearest Walmart........even if you need nothing or have no intention of spending a cent.  Walk into the appropriate clothing section for you.....and stand behind a rack of clothes that's facing the checkout lanes.  And just watch.  If you do that for 10 or 15 minutes I guarantee you will leave the store feeling better about yourself.  I did that yesterday........and as I was walking around I just couldn't help but notice all the crazy ass people in there.  First up........Spandex should be illegal.  Period.  Second, at least around here......you can see and hear lung cancer in the making.  Third, whether you believe in God, gods or Evolution........whichever it is.........it has a very sick sense of humor.  

I know I walked in.......in an average kind of mood. Things could be better.....and they could be worse.  But when I left I felt GREAT! I was struttin' and singing all the way to my car!!!  Just remember.......no matter how down and out you are........or physically screwed up............there's someone worse.  Probably a LOT of people worse.  So be happy you're not them.  Unless of course you ARE one of the worst.......in which case please keep going to Walmart to make the rest of us feel good.  But you're not........trust me.  Or go to Walmart and see for yourself!!

;0)

bob

Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:26 pm

I have seen pictures posted on Facebook of people at Wal-Mart. I could not believe some people would leave home looking like they do.

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:04 pm

lovely wrote:  

I have seen pictures posted on Facebook of people at Wal-Mart. I could not believe some people would leave home looking like they do.

lovely wrote:  

Oh Lovely..........you don't know the half of it!  Trust me.  Think Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus in your own neighborhood 24/7.  Which gives me an idea..........I'm going to send a suggestion to Walmart Corporate that they set up big popcorn machines at the front doors!  Brilliant!

Keep it lite folks,

bob

Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:22 pm

Hi there Bob ,  your talent is wasted my friend , I'm still laughing lol..

You are in Maryland I believe  so next time I pass through MD  I gotta have a look .   I've been in Walmartts in different States and the fashion police should be posted in all of them at the front door to ask  " ...scuse me folks , " you  really should NOT  dress in the dark  "  or maybe ..        ."  our full length mirrors are in aisle  666 "   lol . I just saw  a pic or vid of a quite Chunky , naaa , Very chunky middle aged lady sitting on a low shelf  at the Deli , the shelf had a display of bread , now flattened under her huge butt . A bit of a chunky butt can be attractive  in certain circumstances  and not an eyesore but sitting on a shelf ull of fresh bread is definitely not  the place to plant it ! 

The Walmart in San Jose Ca in Silicon Vally  is  almost an exception but yes indeed , the Mutants and the ones wanted for questioning by the Fashion Police  alive and well there also . There is no house within 50 miles of that particular Walmart  that sells for less than              about   1.4  Million Dollars  so money is not an issue ,  just good old Bad Taste and Bad Manners / judgement  brings out the Only in Walmart  personalities .  

My Sisters were visiting me and my Brother in San Francisco  and we took them to the Safeway nearby ( Market and Church for those who know SF ) . I stayed in the car with one sister parked in front next to a Starbucks . After maybe 3 minutes this woman comes out of Starbucks and began looking at herself in the reflective huge  Safeway window . She backed up and down admiring herself . Suddenly she put her coffee down and began dancing as she stared at her reflection  and began to do a striptease roght in front of the car . Every stitch of clothes came off as she danced to the music played on speakers outside Starbucks . Slowly but surely she got down to her knickers and socks !!! ( she actually looked pretty good without clothes !! .  Just as my other Sister and zbrother got back to the car she wass peeling off her panties and socks !! .  The look on their faces was priceless . They stood there with mouths open for a couple of seconda as she shook her Bootie and grinned at her reflection . My innocent Sister from Ireland had her introduction to San Francisco and shopping at Safeway , that particular Safeway would give Walmart a run for it's money  in the Wacky department !!  My Sister got a lot of milage out of that story when she went home  !! 

Magoo ..☘🐻

Axl
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:21 pm

You're not alone guys, its everywhere, take a visit to your local magistrates court for another perspective. very ugly dermgrapic, wall to wall troglodytes day in day out , all day every day, very depressing snapshot of the state of things.

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:37 am

magoo wrote:  

You are in Maryland I believe  so next time I pass through MD  I gotta have a look .   I've been in Walmartts in different States and the fashion police should be posted in all of them at the front door to ask  " ...scuse me folks , " you  really should NOT  dress in the dark  "  or maybe ..        ."  our full length mirrors are in aisle  666 "   lol . I just saw  a pic or vid of a quite Chunky , naaa , Very chunky middle aged lady sitting on a low shelf  at the Deli , the shelf had a display of bread , now flattened under her huge butt . A bit of a chunky butt can be attractive  in certain circumstances  and not an eyesore but sitting on a shelf ull of fresh bread is definitely not  the place to plant it ! 

The Walmart in San Jose Ca in Silicon Vally  is  almost an exception but yes indeed , the Mutants and the ones wanted for questioning by the Fashion Police  alive and well there also . There is no house within 50 miles of that particular Walmart  that sells for less than              about   1.4  Million Dollars  so money is not an issue ,  just good old Bad Taste and Bad Manners / judgement  brings out the Only in Walmart  personalities .  

My Sisters were visiting me and my Brother in San Francisco  and we took them to the Safeway nearby ( Market and Church for those who know SF ) . I stayed in the car with one sister parked in front next to a Starbucks . After maybe 3 minutes this woman comes out of Starbucks and began looking at herself in the reflective huge  Safeway window . She backed up and down admiring herself . Suddenly she put her coffee down and began dancing as she stared at her reflection  and began to do a striptease roght in front of the car . Every stitch of clothes came off as she danced to the music played on speakers outside Starbucks . Slowly but surely she got down to her knickers and socks !!! ( she actually looked pretty good without clothes !! .  Just as my other Sister and zbrother got back to the car she wass peeling off her panties and socks !! .  The look on their faces was priceless . They stood there with mouths open for a couple of seconda as she shook her Bootie and grinned at her reflection . My innocent Sister from Ireland had her introduction to San Francisco and shopping at Safeway , that particular Safeway would give Walmart a run for it's money  in the Wacky department !!  My Sister got a lot of milage out of that story when she went home  !! 

Magoo ..☘🐻

Only. In The City‼️
Wish I could've seen the look on their faces....Too, too hysterical😂 Thanks for sharing your story!!

Sharon🌷

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:50 am

magoo wrote:  

Magoo ..☘🐻

Wow...........and I always just drive right by our Safeway.........I'm gonna have to go check it out!!  

Magoo........'you've done it again!'

;0)

bob

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:56 am

Deziner wrote:  

Only. In The City‼️ Wish I could've seen the look on their faces....Too, too hysterical😂 Thanks for sharing your story!!

Sharon🌷

Obviously Candid Camera was WAAAY ahead of it's time!  You'd think with everyone in the film and TV industry just totally out of fresh new ideas.........they remake Candid Camera and catch some of this great material that's just going to waste.  Talk about 'Reality TV'!!!

I keep thinking of Magoo's story.......except instead of someone who looks halfway decent without clothes.........I'm picturing the opposite.  I think if my relatives saw that.............they'd NEVER come visit again!  Hey...................wait a sec...........

;0)

bob

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:22 am

Is this what you're seeing, Bob? 

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:07 am

And what's up with the people who wear their pajamas to Walmart? 😂😂😂

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:25 am

I'm missing your point. Please expand yout thoughts.

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:25 am

I'm missing your point. Please expand yout thoughts.

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:34 am

County........you bring up a good point.  So let me explain.  I just sent this reply to someone who PM'd me, and made me aware of something I hadn't thought of.  They weren't taking offense at my post, but I see now how some could.  I hope everyone reads this.........here's what I wrote to her.......

Hi XXXX,

It's not the overweight people that I find fascinating.....weight control is hard for anyone. Some are just lucky in terms of genes, metabolism, appetite etc......and I've been on both sides of the coin......so I don't fault anyone for their weight. It's how people present themselves and maybe a lack of consideration for others. Add in a lack of manners, courtesy....or just not caring about anyone but themselves. And those people are not always the heavy or overweight folks. My personal favorites are the rednecks and hillbillies.....cuz at times I "R" one. It's just a fascinating departure to see what people are really like, vice the images we have in our heads of what the "average" citizen is like. There is no "average".....which is why it's a much fun as going to the zoo......you get to see things you just never dreamed of.

I hope no one reads my post as a cut up on any one type of person, ie, fat, skinny, tall, short, etc.........I surely didn't mean it that way. I'm only saying if you're down on yourself for any reason......you'll realize by looking at others that MANY have it worse than you....so buck up!

Thanks for the note!!

regards,
bob

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:41 am

Some of these folks are mentally challenged.. my sister who has  been mentally challenged since birth dresses in this manner... and will walk thru the streets and on public transportation with no shoes. I am one of her care givers and it is heartbreaking and scary because she is aware that people make fun of her. Be nice people!

Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:24 am

Axl wrote:  

You're not alone guys, its everywhere, take a visit to your local magistrates court for another perspective. very ugly dermgrapic, wall to wall troglodytes day in day out , all day every day, very depressing snapshot of the state of things.

Haha! I go to our little towns court held on the first Tuesday of the month. It is a hoot! Total entertainment. Most young people, or wanna be young people, for drugs or traffic violations. The Judge is the best! He has twin boys that go to school with most of these youngsters and he knows the answer to every question before he asks it but you should hear some of the inventaive stories told. Almost a match for their outfits! Lol I am sure they just came from Walmart just down the road! 

Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:54 am

Thanks for the laughs you guys just what I needed. Xx

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:46 pm

w30bob wrote:  

County........you bring up a good point.  So let me explain.  I just sent this reply to someone who PM'd me, and made me aware of something I hadn't thought of.  They weren't taking offense at my post, but I see now how some could.  I hope everyone reads this.........here's what I wrote to her.......

Hi XXXX,

It's not the overweight people that I find fascinating.....weight control is hard for anyone. Some are just lucky in terms of genes, metabolism, appetite etc......and I've been on both sides of the coin......so I don't fault anyone for their weight. It's how people present themselves and maybe a lack of consideration for others. Add in a lack of manners, courtesy....or just not caring about anyone but themselves. And those people are not always the heavy or overweight folks. My personal favorites are the rednecks and hillbillies.....cuz at times I "R" one. It's just a fascinating departure to see what people are really like, vice the images we have in our heads of what the "average" citizen is like. There is no "average".....which is why it's a much fun as going to the zoo......you get to see things you just never dreamed of.

I hope no one reads my post as a cut up on any one type of person, ie, fat, skinny, tall, short, etc.........I surely didn't mean it that way. I'm only saying if you're down on yourself for any reason......you'll realize by looking at others that MANY have it worse than you....so buck up!

Thanks for the note!!

regards, bob

Hi Bob,  I have to admit, when I first started reading your post, I did start to take offense at what seemed like a jab at "fat" people, and I do agree with Maried that there are reasons we may not know of for why people dress the way they do (mental health), but I do agree with much of what you are highlighting and I have often lamented what seems to be the death of the idea of making yourself look "presentable" to the outside world.  We have a suburb of Vancouver here called Surrey.  It is known for being the "red neck" centre of metro Vancouver.  If you want to see someone with a mullet (not the new version, the original) you may see it there.  Surrey has even had a song written about it, lyrics written to the tune of Lucky Man, only replaced with "Surrey Man".  One of the lines refers to the Surrey man's bullet riddled Harley and the Pitbull in his yard, you get the idea.  Anyway, I have concluded that pajama bottoms and bedroom slippers seems to be acceptable attire while shopping in Surrey's Walmarts, or most any other store really.  I am not even surprised anymore.  Women of my mother's generation would not even think of leaving the house without putting on makeup and wearing a dress.  Wow, those days are sure long gone!  

Terry

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:39 pm

I'm with you Bob , not trying to insult or cast aspersions on anyone but as " people watchers"  we just find the variety of people , shapes , sizes , dress sense ( or lack of it ! ) and hairdo  fascinating , right ! A very good friend has a Son and Daughter who are on the Spectrum , Asbergers / ADHD / Autism ...they place somewhere in that realm . The girl is about 21 now and the Boy about 19 and they have very little sense of themselves as Others see Them . They are simply Not aware of the fact that  that their hair and often their clothes  look  like they've been  " dragged through a bush backwards "  ( my Sister's phrase !! lol ) , got dressed in the dark or ( hopefully Not ) jumped out of bed to flee a fire at 3am !! . If you gently make them aware that they need a little sprucing up to be ready for Prime Time they just shrug and say , OK but still have to be reminded many times before leaving the house , brush your hair ( after they brudhed it twice already !! ) or brush your teeth ....adding , with toothpaste this time or Tie your laces as they walk out with laces trailing on the groud . I pwesonally know a kid ( adult actually ) who had to be reminded of these things at around 30 years old , a computer code professional and very successful  at his job .  We usually figure these things out when we become self aware , aware of the impression that our personal appearence , hygene , fashion sense etc will cement in the minds of other people . The idea that people are always judging you whether they just pass us on the street of go to dinner with us or work with us . In this life first impressions are very important ....unless you are filthy rich , in which case you really  don't have to give a shit !!! For the rest of us our initial appearence and demeanour instills  a mental image in the  mind of the Other person , calculating what social class we belong to , what education we've had , what kind of house or neighborhood we live in , what kinds of food we eat , maybe our religious inclinations . Whether we like it or not if we are honest we all do this , it's in our  DNA . We assess the Other and mentally place the Other person above us , below us or on a level playing field with us ...if we are being generous , we categorize everyone we meet and many people we do not know and will never know , we just pass them on the street . 

Lessons must be learned about appearences and how we categorize people in daily life and some people are just not equipped to play this game of social chess . A guy I used to manage apt buildings for in San Francisco used to come by to pick up the quarters from the washers and dryers for the building  ( 60 units in Pacific Heights SF ..".upper crust " area generally . If you met this guy on the street you would give him a dollar because he looked like a bit of a Bum , he drove a 20 year old car and he was worth probably 20 million bucks , he and partners owned ( own ) many multi unit buildings in SF . To see the guy you would not thing he had the price of a cup of coffee !!!  He was Not a nice person but he would evoke empathy if you saw him walking down the street , based on his appearence alone .   Then there was the construction guy I once knew who brought a briefcase to work and changed from his very nice street clothes into his carpenter uniform , dirty jeans and tshirt every morning . The briefcase contained his sandwich and a coke for lunch . If you stood beside him on the bus home he would be a different person altogether ...would Appear to be  !  My boss , the building owner may not have wanted to be identified as a person to whom tenants could complain , remaining anonymous but he always looked this way so I think that looks did not even occur to him , other people's opinion meant nothing to him . 

I have a few things to add but I'll be back ...the hot sun , the deck and a ham sandwich are calling my name .

Later Dudes and Dudettes ....Eamon .   (  above are my Opinions and opinions are like assholes , everyone has one and often they are full of shit !!! lol   , you be the judge )  . Stay safe from the Plague Y'all ...it is rearing it's ugly head again in many places . 

Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:58 am

Omg! Thank you for this hilarious post. Yes that definitely makes me feel better about my situation.  Thanks for sharing.

Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:09 pm

I think you might need somebody to talk to if you think this is a good way to make yourself happy

Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:41 pm

It is food for thought.   I have been staying home   mostly because of Covid.  But when I really get bored or need some exercize I check in the mirror   wil sometimes change clothes and head for WalMart.       I always come home feeling better   and never thought if it was the people watching or just  the getting out and buying a few things that did the trick.  Ether way  I loved  your post.

Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:44 pm

Hey Bob, we now know you’re even smarter than we thought you were. Your perception of the reality you witnessed is worthy of some consideration. Realizing that “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, some of us might envision the same things way differently. I’m not sure what folks do with Spandex but I understand the lung cancer thing. I also think about the evolution thing and why God didn’t hit the STOP button more often.
A phychiatrist would’ve charged at least a hundred for the same advice.
It would be difficult for me to remain silent and not confront some of those things you experienced so, rather than ending up in a cell, I try to get my entertainment from cable news. When I hear some of our elected representatives and journalists describe what I already experienced I feel like I’m visiting the Fun House of Babylon without my Tongue translator. Years ago, with 100 proof Vodka and cheap beer I didn’t find this stuff so funny. Now it’s sometimes hilarious. Not sure if I matured or the booze took its toll.
Thanks for reminding us of some better things in our lives.
Mike

Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:52 pm

I try to avoid Walmart as much as possible, even before the pandemic whenever I went into a Walmart I always felt like I should disinfect with sanitizer from head to toe.  So you may be on to something about feeling better about your self after just a few minutes of walking into that store.  

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:24 am

delgrl525 wrote:  

Hi Bob,  I have to admit, when I first started reading your post, I did start to take offense at what seemed like a jab at "fat" people, and I do agree with Maried that there are reasons we may not know of for why people dress the way they do (mental health), but I do agree with much of what you are highlighting and I have often lamented what seems to be the death of the idea of making yourself look "presentable" to the outside world.  We have a suburb of Vancouver here called Surrey.  It is known for being the "red neck" centre of metro Vancouver.  If you want to see someone with a mullet (not the new version, the original) you may see it there.  Surrey has even had a song written about it, lyrics written to the tune of Lucky Man, only replaced with "Surrey Man".  One of the lines refers to the Surrey man's bullet riddled Harley and the Pitbull in his yard, you get the idea.  Anyway, I have concluded that pajama bottoms and bedroom slippers seems to be acceptable attire while shopping in Surrey's Walmarts, or most any other store really.  I am not even surprised anymore.  Women of my mother's generation would not even think of leaving the house without putting on makeup and wearing a dress.  Wow, those days are sure long gone!  

Terry

????  There's a "new" version of a mullet??? Wow........how did I miss THAT!  I need to go check THAT out!  I had a GREAT mullet back in the early 80's.  Man, the things you learn on here!!!

;0)

bob

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:40 am

millera757 wrote:  

I think you might need somebody to talk to if you think this is a good way to make yourself happy

Hi millera,

I just "liked" your reply.  Because this is a forum where everyone gets to voice their opinion and no one's wrong.  I think you might have missed the intent of my post, sort of in the same vein as Maried.  Of course there are people mentally challenged, obese, retarded (can we even say that anymore?), etc.  I AM NOT suggesting anyone make fun of those people, or take their situations lightly.....not one bit.  I'm simply saying that by observing what's around us you can get a sense that many are worse off than you, or we, are.  And when we get feeling bummed out about our situation it sometimes makes us feel better knowing our situations are not as bad as they can be.  Is that wrong?  If you think that is then I don't know what to tell you.  The world around us is out there in plain sight.  If looking at it and realizing that your "bottom of the barrel" isn't the real bottom....and that's somehow wrong........I'm guilty.  Again, not saying we shouldn't have sympathy and compassion for those in worse shape than we are.........but I'm pretty sure if I took my shirt off at the beach and walked around.....MOST of the people who saw me would say to themselves.......I'm glad I'm not him.  I guess they would need to talk to somebody too.......right? Just sayin'.

regards,

bob

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:57 am

If I could find a Walmart in my area I would pay a visit 😂 xx

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:47 pm

The Walmart I go to is rife with shoplifting. I got home one time and found that the $12 electric toothbrush I bought was missing. Went back to tell them, get a credit or replacement. Looked at like I was a thief. I was furious. I was probably the only one in there who wasn't shoplifting.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:58 am

GutlessWanda wrote:  

The Walmart I go to is rife with shoplifting. I got home one time and found that the $12 electric toothbrush I bought was missing. Went back to tell them, get a credit or replacement. Looked at like I was a thief. I was furious. I was probably the only one in there who wasn't shoplifting.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

..........and we wonder why the aliens won't make contact with us!!!

;0)

bob

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:02 pm

Maried wrote:  

Some of these folks are mentally challenged.. my sister who has  been mentally challenged since birth dresses in this manner... and will walk thru the streets and on public transportation with no shoes. I am one of her care givers and it is heartbreaking and scary because she is aware that people make fun of her. Be nice people!

Maried, you are right on with your comments. Judging or laughing (even to oneself) at others for entertainment is pretty low. If that is what someone needs to feel good about themselves, they probably didn't have much self esteem in the first place. 

Laurie

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.