Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,891 members

Ostomy Products in Afghanistan

Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:04 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Ostomates live everywhere. I'm concerned (In addition to the horrors in Afghanistan), about ostomates getting their supplies. 
Please send your thoughts and pray for these folks.  It's difficult enough with what's going there, it's got to be unbelievable horrible for these ostomates. 

Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Yes it is so sad what they having to go through, we do need to pray for them.

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,891 members
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:56 am

In the UK, hospital Stoma Care Nurse departments used to collect unwanted/un-needed ostomy supplies to send to the 3rd World. Sadly my local hospital no longer does this.

Are there groups that will take surplus ostomy supplies in and send them to the 3rd World?

Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:36 am
  Yeoman-Bowman wrote:  

In the UK, hospital Stoma Care Nurse departments used to collect unwanted/un-needed ostomy supplies to send to the 3rd World. Sadly my local hospital no longer does this.

Are there groups that will take surplus ostomy supplies in and send them to the 3rd World?

in the US there is a group called friends of oatomates worldwide that does this.  I'm not sure if they have a counterpart in the UK or Europe, but here's the US website, they might know of someplace more local to you 

https://www.fowusa.org

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:44 pm

Very nice of you and lovely and WIGirl77 and Bowman from Britain to spare a thought about ostomates in Afghanistan. With the darkness that has descended there they have many things to worry about in addition to the availability of ostomy supplies. The US and its people have over the years earned a well-deserved reputation for giving generously to the have-nots of this world. There are organizations and people over here that will help the best they can when the situation there gets clearer. The Edhi organization does commendable work. Its head used to say that he can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people who donate more than 50,000 US dollars. Most of the subscriptions came from the middleclass folks and the poor including live chickens and eggs. Khalil Gibran comes to mind. " And there are those who have little and give it all. These are the believers in life and the bounty of life, and their coffer is never empty".

Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:04 am

The Jacob's Well Appeal in the UK will collect surplus medical supplies for redistrubution.

https://droppoint.org/jacobs-well-appeal

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.