Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,955 members
Next >

Ostomy Memories of Three Monkeys

This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

WE ARE ALL FAMILIAR WITH THE SCENE FROM THE MOVIE “A Few Good Men” where Jack Nicholson, on the witness stand, bellows at Tom Cruise: “You can’t handle the truth.” That always reminds me of the famous Three Monkeys: See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil. Each of the monkeys in the set covers the appropriate body part: eyes, ears, or mouth. Years ago, I began a Three Monkey collection, now numbering a couple of dozen. The concept has always struck me as an apt metaphor to describe many people who, either because of ultra-sensitivity or personal history or some other reason, prefer to avoid facts. Sometimes it’s easier to just look the other way rather than contend with reality. “Don’t tell me; I don’t want to know.” I’ve often wondered if these people have a little secret compartment in the back of their head where the truth hides and occasionally, on a bad night, seeps out. Instead of “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus” this poor sap hears “Santa Claus is a fraud, Joey, and not only that, so is the Tooth Fairy and the Sandman.” Reality does have a cruel side occasionally. Everyone deals with it in their own unique way. The problem of closing your eyes to it, of course, is that when it arrives at your own doorstep, things can go south awfully quickly. It reminds me of the time I took the family to a place where they had rides, including a rather scary looking roller coaster. One of my daughters begged me to take her on it, so we got in line. She just barely made the height requirement, and I maneuvered us into the front car. I must have been out of my mind. Off it went, gaining speed, and when it topped the first ascent and I looked down, I thought I was about to die. She was scared too. Hang on, I yelled, and close your eyes if you’re scared. Whether she followed my suggestion I couldn’t tell… my eyes were shut as tight as I could get them.

You mean to tell me there's not a santa 🎅 or tooth fairy 🥺 I believe I believe I believe 😂😂 XX

MeetAnOstoMate - 28,955 members

Hello HenryM.

Thanks for another thoughtful post, to which I am going to resist responding in a cynical and negative way about those who fit your description. Instead, I will share a rhyme that encapsulates a perception of someone who does not have the gift of sight, as this seems to draw out the concept of being able to see more clearly without that physical asset. 

Best wishes

Bill

IT’S ALL IN THE MIND.

Once I knew a blind man
who made it seem so real,
that he was locked in darkness
and round the world would feel.

Graphically he showed to me
his failures and his hopes,
as I watched the way that he
did fumble and did grope.

Then with a grin, did hold his chin
away up in the air.
Off he marched, no stopping him,
as if he had no cares.

Inviting me to come along,
he showed me how it’s done.
Each bold step was never wrong,
he made it look like fun.

Young man, he said, with knowing smile
and face so wrinkled kind.
I need no eyes to walk a mile –
PERCEPTION’S IN THE MIND!

Perhaps the question should be asked,
who saw most along the way?
For sight can other senses mask
and blind to certain things YOU STAY.

Think about it!

B. Withers 1988
                                                (in: Catharsis 1992)

Caz67 wrote:  

You mean to tell me there's not a santa 🎅 or tooth fairy 🥺 I believe I believe I believe 😂😂 XX

No keep believing they all exist. If you let them. 

Hi Henry,  So cool that you collect the Three Monkeys!  I have only one, but it's one of my most treasured keepsakes, a gift from my mum.  My uncle was a lifer in the Canadian Air Force and was often stationed overseas.  This was one of the gifts he brought back for my mum during one of  his stints.  I don't know what it's made of, or where it came from, but I love it.

As for roller coasters, my first ride on one was also my last! No thanks. 

Terry

delgrl525 wrote:  

Hi Henry,  So cool that you collect the Three Monkeys!  I have only one, but it's one of my most treasured keepsakes, a gift from my mum.  My uncle was a lifer in the Canadian Air Force and was often stationed overseas.  This was one of the gifts he brought back for my mum during one of  his stints.  I don't know what it's made of, or where it came from, but I love it.

As for roller coasters, my first ride on one was also my last! No thanks. 

Terry

Here's one of my favorites in my collection.  It's porcelin.

HenryM wrote:  

Here's one of my favorites in my collection.  It's porcelin.

This one's a beauty!

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.