Methylcobalamin vs Cyanocobalamin: Experiences with B-12 Injections?

Replies
Views
vollovr

Hello, is there anyone out there who has been prescribed B-12 injections due to short bowel? Have any of you used the methylcobalamin form, which is said to last longer in the body, whereas cyanocobalamin is excreted faster in the urine? Just curious about any of your experiences. Thanks! RC

Deziner

I take Nature's Truth 1000 mcg of Cyanocobalamin daily. Had blood tests in early August. The level of B12 was a bit high. So, I'm absorbing and retaining more than enough.
This particular brand is not taken sublingually but swallowed.
Hope this helps.
Take good care of yourself.
Sharon

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,321 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

You may have already looked this up online, but here is a site I found. It seems to have a lot of information. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/methylcobalamin-vs-cyanocobalamin

vollovr

Hi Sharon, thank you for the info. Glad to know that oral B-12 works for you. All of my doctors told me many years ago that an oral vit B-12 would not absorb well enough to be beneficial because I have less than half of my small bowel left. I have read many articles on both forms but just was curious about any other ostomate's experiences. Take care.

vollovr

Hi Lovely, thanks for your reply. Yes, I read that same article. Today we are fortunate that we can Google just about anything to get information. I was just curious about other ostomate's personal experiences with B-12. We can read hundreds of articles but it's not the same as coming "from the horse's mouth". Take care.  

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Ritz

Sharon ... I've been injecting myself with the Cy one for 25 years now monthly. It seems to be keeping my B12 in check.

Mme. Fleurie

My physician suggested I switch from cyanocobalamin by injection to methylcobalamin which is taken under the tongue. The reason for the switch is that the injectable contains cyanide, [thus the name, cyanocobalamin]. We now have the technology to produce a sublingual form. The reason one needs the sublingual form, not the oral form, is if the appendix has been removed by surgery, the person can no longer produce something called intrinsic factor (produced in the appendix). Intrinsic factor is needed in order to absorb B12 when ingested orally. Since some of us no longer have our appendix or intrinsic factor, taking it orally would be a waste because we cannot absorb it. The sublingual route gets it directly into the bloodstream, thus obviating the need for intrinsic factor.

vollovr
Reply to Mme. Fleurie

Hello everyone, thank you so much for the helpful and informative information. I was thinking in that direction and you confirmed my thoughts. I ordered some high-quality sublingual B-12 from a compound pharmacy yesterday. Blessings, Rhonda