Need advice on Flomax replacement

In this discussion
Replies
Views
keepers51

I posted this question a couple nights ago but I'm not sure it was done correctly since I never saw it nor got a response. So maybe this is going to get to the forum for advise I am seeking.
So, I'm 75. I've been taking tamsulosin hcl 0.4mg for over 12 years. Urination is not getting any easier. Even daytime is troublesome. And I'm up every night about every hour.
I think you know what I mean if you have the same sort of trouble. I am tired of the tamsulosin and having to go to the doctor every 90 days to get a refill. I'd like to find a non prescription alternative.
The internet is packed with information touting Beta Sitosterol, Pygeum, Rye Grass, Saw Palmetto, and every one has the BEST! Does any one have advise on what I can try? Real People with Real Results?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Keepers51. 

Thankyou for your question, which I knew absolutely nothing about until I looked the drug up on the internet.

The symptoms you describe are classic signs of prostate problems and should be checked out thoroughly and regularly by competent medics. Taking the same drug for 12years makes me suspicious that your doctor(s) are not doing the best for you and your condition as they might. I suffer with the symptoms you describe but do not take anything for it because I 'believe' it is probably age-related. Of course, I may be wrong, and I know I should consult the doctor about the possibility of prostate cancer, but the last time I consulted my GP about the getting up in the night to pee, I had to admit that this ritual had more 'benefits' than drawbacks. This is because lying in bed (or anywhere else) for long periods of time affects my arthritis in such a way that I seize up and have a job to get going again. I welcome having to get up at nights and take the opportunity to exercise during these 'breaks'.

Nonetheless, it might be worthwhile for you to re-read the background information on the tamsulosin, as it warns aginst taking other things like supplements alongside it.

I hope you get some replies from people that are taking this drug 'first-hand', However, I also hope you also get some replies from the potentially many 'men' who suffer with the symptoms of prostrate trouble in silence and sometimes in agony.

We are always being advised to get checked out regularly for the dreaded cancer disease so that it can be treated as early as possible. Many of us (including myself) IGNOR THIS ADVICE ON SO MANY DIFFERENT GROUNDS. This is not the 'safest' option with regard to these symptoms.

Best wishes

Bill       

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ron in mich

Hi Keepers when i was DX with BPH and prescribed flomax i thought that i didnt want to take another med. so i researched saw palmetto and then started taking it but soon found out it made me nauseus in the amounts recommended and it didnt seem to help so i started taking flomax and that works for me, but everyone is differant.

iMacG5

Hi Keepers.  I'm a little older than you and have been taking the same stuff in the same quantity for about 10 years.  I have no problem going except I need to go too often.  Four to six times during the night is my normal.  

I don't know why you have to see the doctor more than once a year.  He/she should just renew your 90 day Rx as required.  

Sorry I can't offer more.

Mike

SharkFan

Hi Keepers,

My doctor added Finesteride to my Flomax. So far, it seems to be helping. It may also help with hair growth which is greatly appreciated by my slowly balding head.

SharkFan

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Xerxes
Reply to iMacG5

Well, if I can suggest, the reason the MD won't renew the Rx is because the MD can't charge for an office visit. By not renewing, the patient has to go in and see the doctor for another prescription and the MD will get paid. It's simple.

Xerxes

warrior

Hi keepers I'm sorry you're going through this.. I'm presently going through something similar I'm not sure ...I am on Flomax I am 62 I had my ken butt surgery this past October and I had a feeling when they took that catheter out that it was going to be a problem. my testicles hurt!!  they still hurt and I'm having trouble with pressure and in the sense that when you pee you know if there's no pressure it dribbles out of you and it makes a mess so I'm on Flomax and then a complete blood work indicated I had a UTI .

so I'm on Spiro that's c i p r o and I have to finish this antibiotic and still go for an ultrasound of my testicles which will probably be the high point of my life at this point at this moment probably the highest action and probably the most action I'll get in the next year or so. ha ha ouch..

but that catheter I swear to God was the size of a garden hose and that was really abnormal seeing something that thick and my pea shooter so I think when they took it out maybe it caused an infection and that's what I'm dealing with but the Flomax definitely helps I take it one tablet maybe every 12 hours and I don't pee too often just enough now so I guess my body is adjusting to it..

please let us know how you make out and I hope others can contribute with their stories cuz this really sucks who knew you would have peeing problems after having your rectum and large intestine removed.. it just sucks