Ostomy Memories of Staying Silent

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

THE OTHER DAY I POSTED about keeping my mouth shut rather than contradicting a fellow who, I believed, had no idea what he was talking about. A person can talk too much. The results from letting your mouth get ahead of your brain can run the gamut from embarrassment to serious bodily injury, even death. These days, in our allegedly “civilized” society, just speaking through a sign in one’s yard favoring a candidate can get your house shot up. Conversation itself can get complicated. I have a neighbor who can talk your ear off, but his thought processes are so disjointed that it’s difficult to follow what he’s talking about. So I just nod, smile, and keep walking. In work and other social situations, it’s so easy to offend people without meaning to. People have insecurities, fragile egos, strong though often unsupportable opinions. “I have often regretted my speech,” said Publius, “never my silence.” Finally, there is that old saying about it being better to keep your mouth shut and be thought dumb than opening it and removing all doubt.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

However --"Communication is the key to civilisation!"

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM
Reply to Bill

Yes, but that presumes intelligent, informed communication.  Good luck finding that in the corner diner. 

Caz67

Never keep your mouth shut Henry, you speak words of wisdom. Remember every opinion matters and no two are ever the same xx