Ostomy Memories of Lost Music

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

THE EARLY DEMISE OF SO MANY composers and musicians has deprived us of an awful lot of music. My two favorite genres are classical and rock, so I’ll dwell on those. It saddens me tremendously when I think about what music we lost when George Gershwin died at the age of 38. Other great composers who died young include Franz Schubert (31), Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (35), Robert Schumann (46), Modest Mussorgsky (42), Felix Mendelssohn (48), and Frederic Chopin (39). These men wrote beautiful music for the ages, and what we lost, in terms of great music, is incalculable. Then there are so many talented rock stars who died young: Jimi Hendrix (sleeping pill overdose) and Janis Joplin (heroin overdose) were only 27; Jim Morrison (heroin overdose) too was only 27. But it wasn’t always drugs. Buddy Holly (22) and Richie Havens (17) died in a plane crash. Bobby Darin died at 37 in the recovery room following open heart surgery. All that great music that we’ll never enjoy because the artists that would have made the music died so young. It almost makes me wish there was really a heaven where these talented music-makers could continue creating. Talk about a celestial symphony!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello HenryM.

I feel a similar sentiment towards the protesters: poets, lyric writers and singers who were the entertaining journalists for alterantive viewpoints. Bob Marley springs to mind, but there have been so many others who have made pertinent social comments within their musical endeavours. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
William15

What about Cass Elliot? There was a tribute to her on the BBC, here in London last night. I didn't realise she was such a versatile singer and entertainer, destined for a great career, until sadly, she met an early demise, from a heart attack while on tour in Europe.

W

HenryM
Reply to William15

Sorry, I missed Cass Elliot.  I love the music of the Mamas and the Papas.