Ostomy Memories of Westerns

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

WESTERNS HAVE ALWAYS attracted me. In fact, yesterday afternoon I watched one of the best: “The Outlaw Josey Wales” with Clint Eastwood. It’s at least the sixth or maybe even the eighth time I’ve watched it. As a kid, I watched the early western stars on television, guys like Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, the Lone Ranger. Then there were the early classic westerns like “The Searchers” with John Wayne, “Shane” with Alan Ladd, and “High Noon” with Gary Cooper. Life in the old west, as portrayed in these films, was no less strange to me than space creature flicks. I knew I’d never be going into space, but I had this idea that, one day, I’d gravitate out west and see for myself, at least what was left of it. Somewhere along the line I learned that the depiction of the Native Americans in the old westerns was inaccurate. Perhaps it was the white man that was the savage. Contemporary westerns such as “Little Big Man” and “Dances With Wolves” presented a more Indian centric perspective. Good new westerns kept coming. “Forsaken” with Donald & Kiefer Sutherland, “The Unforgiven” with Eastwood, and “Open Range” with Robert Duval & Kevin Costner come to mind. Eventually, I did make it out west, and lived fourteen years in southern Utah among the sand and the sagebrush and the slickrock. I was no cowboy, but I did cultivate my own version of the cowboy’s frame of mind. Started reading great western writers like Ed Abbey and Wallace Stegner. Hiked the slot canyons and got my first pickup truck. Now that I’m back in Florida, it’s more important than ever that I keep watching westerns, just to remind me what it looks like out there where I was fortunate enough to live for a while. And I just got two more books by Ed Abbey; my love affair with the American West continues.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

I liked The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp. Even though it took heat for not having a Native American play the role. And the classics with good guy white hat and bad guy black hat. And there always being a hillside to roll down when the bad guy was taken off his horse. Those were the days.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Earth Angel

I love John Wayne because he was tough like us ostomates - he said, "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." We all need a bit of John Wayne in us!

HenryM
Reply to Earth Angel

John Wayne also said: "Life is hard.  It's harder if you're stupid." 

Caz67

So, Henry, did you get the orangutan and let him do the right turn, Clyde? LOL. My all-time legend Clint Eastwood. Chuck Norris comes second. XX

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Earth Angel
Reply to HenryM

Well, isn't that the truth??

lovely

I love western movies. I have a bunch of them taped. I also like crime scene shows like NCIS and Criminal Minds. Are my favorite.

Caz67

Hi lovely

I like the CSI but if I'm being honest I like the real ones, also like the HBO autopsy report. It must be something to do with the nursing career lol XX