Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Ostomy Memories of Going West

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:28 am
This is a great community. Consider joining.

GOING WEST WAS SOMETHING THAT I had to do, just as inevitably as my returning east. For years, growing up in flat, sedimentary Florida, I felt impelled to eventually, finally find out for myself what the attraction was, to see the mountains and the desert real before me, to experience firsthand the difference between humid salt air and dry high air. I was getting older; I couldn’t wait much longer to go see. Finally, I made a summer trip out west and drove around Arizona. It didn’t turn me on. The following year, I visited New Mexico. I liked it there, and thought I had a job, but it didn’t pan out. Then I made it to Utah and experienced what John Denver sang about, “coming home to a place I’d never been before.” It became home for fourteen years. Living a mile high, wandering on deserted red rock trails even higher, I had found my nirvana. Even the cold and snow did not deter me from going out to explore what millions of years had prepared for me to see. The west may no longer seem so untamed and uncivilized as it once was to some, but to me it was a desolate paradise. But family, and health concerns, dumped a cold dash of reality into my misanthropic wanderings. I bit the bullet and returned to Florida. Am I home now, or did I leave it in Utah? The answer to that depends upon what random time of day the thought occurs to me.

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:14 am

Hello HenryM.
Thanks for sharing your reflections on 'Home'. This can be a heart wrenching subject when there are opposing forces pulling us one way and another.
I have often felt my heart was definitely rooted in New Zealand, where we were once determined to spend our lives and enjoy all that this beautiful country had to offer. I penned a short rhyme to capture the feelings arising whilst planning and starting to build my first house over there:

MY KAIKORAI HOME.

Beautiful scene,
meandering stream,
valley so green,
this is my dream.

Peaceful and tranquil
with wonderful view,
a spiritual home
for me and for you.

B. Withers 2006

However, circumstances can change rapidly, and suddenly we had new grandchildren in
the UK. The ‘pull’ was too great and my wife no longer wanted to stay in NZ.
Despite all the fantastic scenery and wildlife in NZ, I was not prepared to miss out on the company of my wife, simply so that I could indulge my own whims and fantasies in the physical space that pleased me most.
I recalled a rhyme I had written some years earlier, that put things into a ‘realistic’ perspective, whereby (as a poet) I could imagine and envisage the wonderful scenery without actually being there. Whereas, a close, personal relationship (like marriage) seemed to need a close proximity to get the most out of it.

HAVE YOU SEEN.

Have you seen the sunrise – in the sky;.
Have you seen a sunlit – butterfly;
Have you seen red sunsets – fade and die;
Have you seen the glint with-in my eye.

Have you seen a haw frost – glistening bright;
Have you seen a snowflake – crystal white;
Have you seen my fire – that burns so bright;
Can we be together – every night

Have you seen a dewdrop – pure and clear;
Have you seen a small child – shed a tear;
Have you seen the moon – from clouds appear;
If I sang a love song – would you hear.

Have you seen the twinkling - of a star;
Have you seen the sprinkling – nebula;
Have you seen me watching – from afar;
Can I say I love you – as you are.

Have you seen an eagle - soaring high;
Have you seen a fledgling – try to fly;
You have been the highlight - of my life;
I’m so glad I’ve had you – for my wife.

B. Withers (1997)
(in:’ Contemplation’ 2010)

Such decisions are all about getting one’s priorities in order!
Best wishes
Bill

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:40 pm

Bill wrote:

Hello HenryM.
Thanks for sharing your reflections on 'Home'. This can be a heart wrenching subject when there are opposing forces pulling us one way and another.
I have often felt my heart was definitely rooted in New Zealand, where we were once determined to spend our lives and enjoy all that this beautiful country had to offer. I penned a short rhyme to capture the feelings arising whilst planning and starting to build my first house over there:

MY KAIKORAI HOME.

Beautiful scene,
meandering stream,
valley so green,
this is my dream.

Peaceful and tranquil
with wonderful view,
a spiritual home
for me and for you.

B. Withers 2006

However, circumstances can change rapidly, and suddenly we had new grandchildren in
the UK. The ‘pull’ was too great and my wife no longer wanted to stay in NZ.
Despite all the fantastic scenery and wildlife in NZ, I was not prepared to miss out on the company of my wife, simply so that I could indulge my own whims and fantasies in the physical space that pleased me most.
I recalled a rhyme I had written some years earlier, that put things into a ‘realistic’ perspective, whereby (as a poet) I could imagine and envisage the wonderful scenery without actually being there. Whereas, a close, personal relationship (like marriage) seemed to need a close proximity to get the most out of it.

HAVE YOU SEEN.

Have you seen the sunrise – in the sky;.
Have you seen a sunlit – butterfly;
Have you seen red sunsets – fade and die;
Have you seen the glint with-in my eye.

Have you seen a haw frost – glistening bright;
Have you seen a snowflake – crystal white;
Have you seen my fire – that burns so bright;
Can we be together – every night

Have you seen a dewdrop – pure and clear;
Have you seen a small child – shed a tear;
Have you seen the moon – from clouds appear;
If I sang a love song – would you hear.

Have you seen the twinkling - of a star;
Have you seen the sprinkling – nebula;
Have you seen me watching – from afar;
Can I say I love you – as you are.

Have you seen an eagle - soaring high;
Have you seen a fledgling – try to fly;
You have been the highlight - of my life;
I’m so glad I’ve had you – for my wife.

B. Withers (1997)
(in:’ Contemplation’ 2010)

Such decisions are all about getting one’s priorities in order!
Best wishes
Bill

Hi Bill,  This is absolutely lovely!  It brought a tear to my eye.  Who knew you were such a romantic?

All the best,

Terry

Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:41 am

delgrl525 wrote:

Hi Bill,  This is absolutely lovely!  It brought a tear to my eye.  Who knew you were such a romantic?

All the best,

Terry

Hello Terry.

Thanks for your positive response to my ramblings. I have rarely thought of myself as a 'romantic', but I suppose there are occasions when I need to contemplate what is really important in life and decide what is best in the long-term. 

This is when composing rhyming verse comes into its own, in that it helps me think emotional things through more logically than might otherwise be the case. 

Best wishes

Bill

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.