50 Years of 'Stairway to Heaven': Rock 'n' Roll Legacy

Replies
Views
veejay

Sooo...(as the teenagers say)...today marks the 50th anniversary of the release of one of the greatest rock 'n' roll epics of all time, "Stairway to Heaven".

Never released as a single, it was on the English supergroup Led Zeppelin's fourth studio album, simply titled Led Zeppelin IV.

If radio stations still exist in 50 years' time (doubtful), one would hope they are still playing this iconic eight-minute musical masterpiece.

....."to be a rock and not to roll"......

Keep well.

V. J.

Caz67

I'm sure it will still be played along with many other great songs of yesteryears. I mean we can still listen to the 50's & 60's on anything that plays music. So hopefully all is not lost. XX

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,357 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

As one song says "I like that old time rock and roll that kind of music just soothes my soul"

Past Member
Reply to lovely

I bought that Led Zeppelin album with babysitting money, and "Stairway to Heaven" remains an all-time favorite!!

Superme

I never got to see Led Zeppelin. I only had one chance to see them back in the day but being in school and already committed to an Alice Cooper concert, it was a little bit much for a $7.50 ticket. I have every one of their albums and if you followed them, they have been through large struggles and tragedy. I do love Led Zep 4 and "Stairway to Heaven" is a real classic but I think my favorite is their second album. Their music and many other bands of that era will always survive. My grandchildren and their friends all listen to Led Zeppelin and even the Beatles. Mike

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
iMacG5

I need to confess I was totally lost back then.  I considered myself a musician, a decent pianist and, at 15, played in a 17-piece orchestra doing Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw and the like.  That's before the R&R folks like the Coasters, The Platters, Drifters, Dion, Five Satins, etc.  I guess I just wasn't willing to let go of the stuff I loved so much and didn't give the new folks the credit they deserved.  I even discouraged my kids from getting too involved in the new stuff.  I referred to Led Zeppelin as "Tin Blimp".  I apologize. As I "grew up" and really listened I recognized some great talents and remain thankful for all the good music wherever or whomever it comes from.

Mike

Caz67

Hi Mike.

Love, love, love Glenn Miller. xx.

Superme

Caz67, I agree with you. No one ever found him? Hmmmm