Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Ostomy Memories of Trap/Neuter/Release

Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:34 am
This is a great community. Consider joining.

MY SPOUSE IS PART OF A STRICTLY volunteer group of women who catch feral cats. It is estimated that in our fairly good-sized city there are maybe 20,000 of them running loose and, no surprise, hard at work producing more cats. We have a shed full of traps with which she catches these little beasties and a nearby spay-neuter vet clinic takes them in regularly, spays the females, neuters the males, after which my wife’s group then returns the cats to where they had been caught, typically wooded areas near residential neighborhoods. The cats scrounge food from kindly people that live nearby and thus survive in their wild, beggar-like existence. Some may have originally been domestic cats that were abandoned, but most are entirely feral and avoid human contact other than to carefully, very carefully, approach feeding sites on backyard patios or front stoops. Last night we had 25 of these caged cats in our garage, awaiting the vet clinic van to pick them up. It is an endless process, as there is a seemingly endless population of felines out there needing to be fixed. But, in the long run, it is a better and certainly more humane solution than catching and killing the cats. Trapping, neutering, and releasing -- aka TNR – is a good thing, and for the few that are at least partially domesticated, they find them homes.

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:22 am

Henry , I understand what your wife and group are doing and yes it is a good thing ,but ..... 

we have many feral cats here in my subdivision as well and many outdoor house cats. The person catching them is not from my neighborhood,catches them , shaves them then brings them down then back.she feeds them to lure more here . But my neighbors have their cats neutered and chipped with collars and id,yet they continue to catch those and shave them to check. This has caused those house cats to be withdrawn from the owners and then Leary of people petting them . This is my issue ,so I hope your wife's group is mindful of this . And yes,feral cats can acclimate to being a house cat ...just like homeless people .

jyst sayin,Ritz

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:22 am

Hello HenryM. 

That sounds like a much kinder and humane way of dealing with what can be a serious problem.

I do admire people like your wife, who do something practical to resolve local problems. 

Best wishes

Bill

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:12 am

Hi all years ago we lived in wisc. and our landlord/neighbor had a junk business and he had some old pipes stacked up in our backyard so one day we heard mewing and turns out there was a feral kitten in one of the pipes all scruffy and dirty and it wouldnt let us get close enough to catch it so we lured it out with some tuna on a plate and waited until it stuck its head out and caught it, we already had a siamese cat so we kept the little one in its cage until it got acclimated to us and our cat and it lived with us for 21 years.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:35 am

Hi Henry

I think your wife and the rest of the group are doing a fantastic job. It's just a dam shame we can't do the same to peadophiles lol mind you even that would be too kind I think xx

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:36 am

Caz67 wrote:

Hi Henry

I think your wife and the rest of the group are doing a fantastic job. It's just a dam shame we can't do the same to peadophiles lol mind you even that would be too kind I think xx

Hello Caz.

I can understand where you are coming from with this reasoning. However, much of the research has shown that paedophiles do not necessarily abuse children entirely for sexual purposes, so castration may not fix the problem. Apparently, they indulge in it because they wish for dominance and control over their victims (much like other bullies).

On the other hand: as has been pointed out on the vaccine research front, can we trust the research anymore? 

Best wishes

Bill

Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:42 am

Hi Bill

I know they were saying at one point the person who commits the acts of peadophilia on their own children tend to have been abused themselves. There was some research done not sure when but they were saying it maybe a genetic link but unsure about that. 

I'm not sure what would be the best solution but it certainly needs urgent attention. Unfortunately as much as the technology is a great thing to have it has also caused the problem to be global in sharing ect. XX

Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:25 pm

?

Last edited by Bill on Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:28 pm

Hello Caz. 

It is indeed reported that many of those who have been abused end up being abusers. However, there is always a problem when geneticists make the link, because there are too many behavioural and environmental factors at play. 'Nature' and 'Nurture' have been the seemingly opposing protagonists in these sorts of discussions for years, but nothing has ever been resolved one way or the other. 

Whereas the concept of 'bullying' allows us to examine this phenomenon from all sorts of alternative perspectives, with links to other forms of bullying. One theory (proposed by me in the past) is that bullies tend to pick on those who are vulnerable and less likely to fight back. Children seem to fit this category quite well, so paedophiles find this niche to their liking. The sexual element is just one of many techniques that bullies use to dominate, and subjugate their 'prey'.

Children tend to be a prime target for so many other types of abuse - it's a wonder how many of them manage to grow into adults without some sort of 'damage' having been done. 

Best wishes

Bill  

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.