Ostomy Memories of Old Hats

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

AN OLD HAT CAN BE A LOT OF THINGS. As a possible pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, there is a gold and silver mine in Pinal County, AZ called Old Hat. It sits at 4,400 ft. elevation. So, the next time you feel like a good hike in sunny Arizona, perhaps you can get in on the mining action and get rich. Old hat is more commonly just a term that refers to something deemed uninteresting, predictable, tritely familiar, or old-fashioned. In a word: out of date (okay, that’s three words). Finally, old hat may refer simply to… well, an old hat. I have more than a few of those taking up space here and there around the house. My old Irish tweed fedora, called a walking or country hat, is older than my daughters, which makes it around fifty or so. The photo shows a similar one; mine is blue. I have newsboy caps, baseball caps, knitted beanies. I had a nice cowboy hat, purchased in Tombstone, AZ, just down the street from the OK Corral. I left it in Utah. I brought two winter hats back with me from Russia, one leather, one fur, both with fine, furry ear flaps. Since I was there in the middle of winter, I needed head coverage. I gave those away when I left Utah too. My favorite hat these days is a baseball cap style with one word in all caps on the front: FACTS. It signifies my preference for reality over fantasy, truth over lies, evidence over assumption, Democrats over Republicans, and anyone over Donald Trump.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello HenryM. 

I don't much like wearing hats, and yet, I have a whole collection of them in my wardrobe. Mostly they are what I would call 'functional'. Several for rain (to keep it off my glasses);  some for snow and cold winds - like your Russian ones; several sun hats, and several safety hard-hats. I did purchase some expensive cycle 'airbag-hats' that are worn around the neck until an accident when they explode around the head and neck. However, I have had two such accidents and found that they are simply too expensive to replace, so now I have a standard crash helmet for that purpose. Some of my hats are for 'dressing-up' for Old-Time Music Hall gigs but that's another story!

One hat that I treasure above all the others is a 'Rasta' hat, made especially for me by one of my ex-clients because of a remark I once made about " If I was to opt for any religion - it would probably be 'Rastafarian', because they seem to be 'kind' and have sound moral principles by which to live.  This hat was made to hold a pile of dreadlocks (which I don't have), and she did not think that I would ever wear it. However, she was wrong, in that I covered it with 'cool' badges and quips that I had collected over the years and proudly wore it to oiur local annual music festivals (Rhythms of the World). Sometimes I would be threateningly accosted by young black 'Rastas' and asked if I was trying to 'take the *iss!' (be desrespectful).  I replied that the opposite was the case, and the hat had been given as a gift by a 'friend' who knew I was supportive of the 'Rasta' religion. When I told them who that 'friend' was, they were fine with it, as she was the go-to hatmaker for all the local 'Rastas'. 

Best wishes

Bill  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ron in mich

Hi guys yup i,m a hat collector also i have about 50 assorted hats but mostly baseball style with the logos of sports teams also auto parts or from places i,ve visited but i also have winter knit hats that locally we call chooks but i think canadians call tuks, i,ve never had a cowboy type but my youngest daughter had a pink one she would wear when she was a hockey player and that was her image when going to the differant arenas.

TerryLT
Reply to ron in mich

Hi Ron,That's touque, or toque. I guess it's originally from Quebec. I just wore mine on last night's walk for the first time this season!

Cheers,

Terry