Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Ostomy Memories of Cataract Surgery

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:17 am
This is a great community. Consider joining.

WHEN THEY TESTED OUR EYES in the ninth grade, all I could read on the chart was the big E at the top. I was myopic, much to my chagrin, and eyeglasses came into my life, one of the biggest pains in the patoot I’ve ever had to deal with. “Oh, he’s nice looking enough, but he wears glasses,” I imagined the girls saying. Wearing them during sports was problematic and, even worse, I had to wrestle with the question of what to do with the glasses when trying to make out with a girl. And if the girl wore glasses too… it was like animals sparring with antlers. As my eyes grew worse over the years, I came within the dubious definition of being “legally blind,” a loss of visual acuity so severe that, with glasses off, I couldn’t recognize my own mother from five feet away. Eventually, I joined the more than three million people a year in the U.S. who develop cataracts. I needed surgery, during which the eye doctor inserted intraocular lens implants. I went home, finished the day, and went to bed. On awakening the following morning, even with just one eye done (they don’t do them both at the same time), for the first time I could actually see and read the time on the clock across the room without glasses. I hadn’t been that excited since Kirk Gibson’s walk-off homerun in the first game of the ’88 World Series. Although I still needed reading glasses, I was otherwise rid of the horrible things. Cataract surgery was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I bought myself a sexy pair of non-prescription sunglasses, the first I’d ever owned. Somehow, much to my bitter and lasting disappointment, my newly cleared vision did not enable me to shoot darts with any more accuracy than before, and I was decades beyond trying to make out with girls. But I could see without glasses, and that was more than enough for me.

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:23 am

I am due this year. Had my glass since grade school.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:18 am

xnine wrote:

I am due this year. Had my glass since grade school.

You won't feel a thing, and then you'll be able to see!

Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:53 am

Hello HenryM.

They told me years ago that I had cataracts, but said that they would not do anything about them until they got worse. That doesn't dseem to have happened so, I suppose I have this operation to look forward to. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:48 am

Hi guys i had both eyes done this year and your right Henry that what a differance it makes, the only problem that i can think of is that i probably will have to get it done again down the road as both my older sis and bro had it done twice. when it comes to reading glasses i get them at the dollar store, about 5-6 pairs all over the house and in the vehicles.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:04 am

ron in mich wrote:

Hi guys i had both eyes done this year and your right Henry that what a differance it makes, the only problem that i can think of is that i probably will have to get it done again down the road as both my older sis and bro had it done twice. when it comes to reading glasses i get them at the dollar store, about 5-6 pairs all over the house and in the vehicles.

I do the same thing, Ron.  I've got four pairs of reading glasses in various places all over the house so I don't have to continuously walk all over the place looking for one pair. 

Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:20 pm

I had gotten where I could not see clearly at night at all and not real good in daylight. I had the surgery and it was like walking into a dark room where you couldn't see good then fliping on the light. It made all the difference in the world. But now quite a few years later I went to renew my drivers license and could not pass the eye test. So I have to go see the eye docter tomorrow. The line they have you to read is so small there are no signs on the road that are written that small.I see pretty good at a distance so I don't understand. But if I want to keep driving after this month I have to do what I have to do.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.