Ostomy Memories of Newspaper Delivery

Replies
Views
HenryM

THE NEWSPAPER CARRIER IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD speeds through the streets every morning like he’s on a timer. Unfortunately, he comes at the same time that I’m out walking and it is still dark out. There is a good chance, it seems to me, that he is distracted by what he’s doing and might not see me. Ergo, I carry a miniature flashlight which I turn on as soon as I see a vehicle headed my way. There are no sidewalks where I live and so I’m walking on the edge of the asphalt street. Since he’s servicing homes on both sides of the street, I can never be sure that he’s going to remain in the expected lane of travel. Plus (perhaps it is my imagination) on mornings when he is running late, he is also driving faster, literally zooming along on a street where the speed limit is 25 MPH. I’d like to tell him that one of his taillights is out, but that’ll never happen. The local paper that he’s delivering, like most of its ilk, isn’t much, and I don’t subscribe to it for that reason. Since everything is available on line these days, including the news, I’m surprised that more newspapers haven’t folded, along with department stores, video rental stores, and greeting card shops. When I was smoking cigars, I even got those on line. Maybe the last business standing will be those myriad little nail parlors that seem to be in every other shopping center in America since, although you can get sex on the Internet, you can’t get a manicure on line. Is this a great country or what?

lovely

My mail box has been full the last couple of days with with sales papers. It just makes for more waste. One other thing I don't like about checking out things online especially insurance is they ask for you your phone and email before you can check out anything. Then they worry you to death on the phone and email. I don't know why they don't understand if you were ready to buy you know how to call them.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM
Reply to lovely

They're way too aggressive for me to, Lovely.

TerryLT

Hi Henry,I'm a die-hard newspaper reader and will be very sad the day they disappear for good. We still have two main newspapers in this city, The Sun and The Province. The experience of reading a hard copy of the paper, versus reading it online, is huge to me. I know exactly where to look to find the columns I want to read and the news is laid out in a way that makes sense and is much easier to access. I am always frustrated if I try to read the news online. There seems to be much more in-depth reporting and more "human interest" articles in the hard copy of the paper. I have even tried to find some of the same articles in the on-line version, and failed. Maybe it's there, but I can't find it!

I do read online news from sources other than the publication I subscribe to, and I appreciate having that ability, but my local paper is like an old friend, solid, comforting and trustworthy.

They even started using ink that doesn't come off on your hands!How great is that?

Terry