Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Ostomy Memories of the Grocery Store

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:48 am
This is a great community. Consider joining.

I ENTER A GROCERY STORE LIKE I ENTER A DOCTOR’S OFFICE, with anxiety. I’m not going to get poked and prodded by some over-serious medico, but I do expect to suffer from the reality check of the cost of things. Unfortunately, my usually decrepit memory seems to still retain the prices that I personally stamped upon grocery items when I was a stock clerk… 62 years ago! Back then, cashiers didn’t get to scan bar codes; they had to punch into the register each individual price, item by item. On a busy Saturday morning, there would be at least eight cashiers up front, all dealing with lines of shoppers waiting to check out, and bagboys hustling to fill the brown paper grocery sacks. Plastic bags hadn’t appeared yet. Today we carry our cloth bags into the store with us, at least two of which are insulated for perishable items. When we get to the cashier and she is getting close to ringing us up, my anxiety level kicks up again and I walk away so that I won’t hear her announce to my wife the total bill. I don’t wish to know. It would be like having a date with a beautiful woman and then, all of a sudden, she peels off her mask to reveal that she’s really an updated version of my mustachioed Aunt Gussie.

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:01 am

Henry you come out with some good ones my friend. Xx

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:20 pm

Hello HenryM.

Yes! this is indeed another rationalised, well written account of a supermarket experience. However, I usually do the weekly shop with my wife and, long before I get to the checkout I find myself checking out all the devious little things that these organisations do to hoodwink people into buying things, that they would be much better avoiding or buying from a different store.

The little things I am referring to are things like: charging more for the bulk items than if we bought the same amount singularly; one is priced by the pack and the other will be priced by weight - just to make it harder for the average shopper to calculate the difference. Another of my favourites is when goods are labelled as on 'special offer', when last week they were cheaper than they are this week. Technically they are not lying because the 'special' obviously means more expensive to them, but to ordinary shoppers it probably means the opposite. Most people will not recall how much things were from last week or the week before, so this is not of particular concern to anyone other than the likes of me - who think this sort of devious behaviour is very close to what I might describe (in verse) as industrial covert bullying. There are many more examples, but I'm sure you get the gist. 

My wife often tries to stop me exposing these frauds; In store, I usually call it (out loud)  'cheating', but in essence, I believe it to be a form of 'stealing'.   If an'ordinary person 'stole' as much money as they do, I have little doubt  that they would be held personally responsible and probably end up doing jail time. However, the profiteers in the supermarket chain (and elsewhere) have never been faced with any negative consequences of their deviousness and dishonesty, so I expect it will continue until the laws are changed to accomodate the rich as well as the poor. 

Coincidentally, I have only just finished a rhyme focussing on the inequality involved in lawmaking, that allows business people to 'steal'without fear of crossing that legal line - because (in my opinion) there simply isn't such a line for them. the legal lines are drawn to affect the poor and disadvantaged far more than the rich and powerful:

Best wishes

Bill

LAWMAKING BULLIES.

To understand lawmakers fully
we need to understand the bully,
for bullies like to lay the blame
in their domineering game.

The lawmakers support their cause,
by making sure they make the laws
to favour all their class and creed
in their quest for wealth and greed.

This state has always been the same
with bully’s having their main aim,
to dictate and to dominate,
indoctrinate and subjugate,

They wish to silence anyone
who might protest at what they’ve done,
or what they have omitted to
do for the likes of me and you.

They praise the owners of the banks;
to shareholders they give their thanks;
and anyone who previously
has stolen wealth so deviously.

They have made laws so they may toast
it’s them who always gets the most,
and people who don’t have that power,
should know their place, and to them cower.

They’ll talk of their past bravery,
ignoring all past slavery,
which made them rich and powerful
but also made them disgraceful.

All the wealth that these folk stole,
will not be theft, because control
of lawmaking belongs to them
and they will not themselves condemn.

(continued)

LAWMAKING BULLIES. (continued)

They may pass laws that, over time,
lets them pass wealth along their line,
which to the poor and left bereft
is intergenerational theft.

They make laws against protesters,
yet won’t acknowledge their ancestors
were among the worst we’ve seen,
as biggest bullies ever been.

But poor people don’t make the law,
so, what we’ve always seen therefore,
are rich bullies getting their way
and making other people pay.

Rich people are not criminal
because the laws are minimal,
that show them up for what they are
and put these people on a par.

When rich people rip other’s off,
the law will help them laugh and scoff
at those who cannot do the same,
for it’s the poor who take the blame.

When poor people are deemed to steal,
it seems to me, the law is real
and punishes with all its might
when they don’t have the funds to fight.

But as I’ve hinted previously,
the rich will steal more deviously,
and use the laws that they have made
to criminality evade.

If laws were made a different way,
the criminals we see today,
would be replaced by bullies who
have used past laws to swindle you.

B. Withers 2021

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Bill wrote:

Hello HenryM.

Yes! this is indeed another rationalised, well written account of a supermarket experience. However, I usually do the weekly shop with my wife and, long before I get to the checkout I find myself checking out all the devious little things that these organisations do to hoodwink people into buying things, that they would be much better avoiding or buying from a different store.

The little things I am referring to are things like: charging more for the bulk items than if we bought the same amount singularly; one is priced by the pack and the other will be priced by weight - just to make it harder for the average shopper to calculate the difference. Another of my favourites is when goods are labelled as on 'special offer', when last week they were cheaper than they are this week. Technically they are not lying because the 'special' obviously means more expensive to them, but to ordinary shoppers it probably means the opposite. Most people will not recall how much things were from last week or the week before, so this is not of particular concern to anyone other than the likes of me - who think this sort of devious behaviour is very close to what I might describe (in verse) as industrial covert bullying. There are many more examples, but I'm sure you get the gist. 

My wife often tries to stop me exposing these frauds; In store, I usually call it (out loud)  'cheating', but in essence, I believe it to be a form of 'stealing'.   If an'ordinary person 'stole' as much money as they do, I have little doubt  that they would be held personally responsible and probably end up doing jail time. However, the profiteers in the supermarket chain (and elsewhere) have never been faced with any negative consequences of their deviousness and dishonesty, so I expect it will continue until the laws are changed to accomodate the rich as well as the poor. 

Coincidentally, I have only just finished a rhyme focussing on the inequality involved in lawmaking, that allows business people to 'steal'without fear of crossing that legal line - because (in my opinion) there simply isn't such a line for them. the legal lines are drawn to affect the poor and disadvantaged far more than the rich and powerful:

Best wishes

Bill

LAWMAKING BULLIES.

To understand lawmakers fully
we need to understand the bully,
for bullies like to lay the blame
in their domineering game.

The lawmakers support their cause,
by making sure they make the laws
to favour all their class and creed
in their quest for wealth and greed.

This state has always been the same
with bully’s having their main aim,
to dictate and to dominate,
indoctrinate and subjugate,

They wish to silence anyone
who might protest at what they’ve done,
or what they have omitted to
do for the likes of me and you.

They praise the owners of the banks;
to shareholders they give their thanks;
and anyone who previously
has stolen wealth so deviously.

They have made laws so they may toast
it’s them who always gets the most,
and people who don’t have that power,
should know their place, and to them cower.

They’ll talk of their past bravery,
ignoring all past slavery,
which made them rich and powerful
but also made them disgraceful.

All the wealth that these folk stole,
will not be theft, because control
of lawmaking belongs to them
and they will not themselves condemn.

(continued)

LAWMAKING BULLIES. (continued)

They may pass laws that, over time,
lets them pass wealth along their line,
which to the poor and left bereft
is intergenerational theft.

They make laws against protesters,
yet won’t acknowledge their ancestors
were among the worst we’ve seen,
as biggest bullies ever been.

But poor people don’t make the law,
so, what we’ve always seen therefore,
are rich bullies getting their way
and making other people pay.

Rich people are not criminal
because the laws are minimal,
that show them up for what they are
and put these people on a par.

When rich people rip other’s off,
the law will help them laugh and scoff
at those who cannot do the same,
for it’s the poor who take the blame.

When poor people are deemed to steal,
it seems to me, the law is real
and punishes with all its might
when they don’t have the funds to fight.

But as I’ve hinted previously,
the rich will steal more deviously,
and use the laws that they have made
to criminality evade.

If laws were made a different way,
the criminals we see today,
would be replaced by bullies who
have used past laws to swindle you.

B. Withers 2021

Hi Bill,  I share your feelings about grocery retailers and manufacturers and have my own pet peeves.  One of the ways they try to get you to buy more than you had intended is to create aisles where you are forced to line up (or queue as you would say) for the cashier, and they fill these aisles with merchandise they hope will be irresistible to you.  They have little incentive to employ enough staff to keep the lines moving quickly!  One of the  despicable tricks that manufacturers use to raise prices without the consumer's knowledge, is to reduce the content in the packaging, but leave the pricing the same.  This should not even be legal, but they get away with it.  Another trick is to raise the price, then quickly lower it to it's original price, with a big "Sale" sign. I also remember when bulk shopping used to be a way of saving money.  Not anymore, and yet I think there are still those who assume they are saving money by buying in bulk.  Many also assume that they save money by buying the large size of a product, but manufacturers have cottoned onto that.  Often it's cheaper to buy three small tubes of toothpaste, than one of the large "value size" tubes!  I am a diehard price checker and also compare volume, weight, etc, in relation to price.  I'm sure I still get duped, but I do try my best to fight back!

Terry

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:08 pm

Terry you are so right about how they reduce the content in the packaging, but leave the pricing the same. 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.