Experiences with FMT for gut health?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Mira25

OK, you lovely warriors. I'm continually on a quest to improve my condition. I'm considering fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) as I believe that my body's inability to hold food and extract nutrients is due, at least in part, to a severely disrupted gut biome. I had the biome tested about two years ago which revealed practically no diversity of bacteria, and a virtual absence of good bacteria.

Has anyone had FMT?

Many thanks in advance.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

I have not had it, but it is rather common and successful.

Xerxes

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Depending on your diet and what you consume, it can set a default of issues vs loose or solid fecal matter. There is a popular probiotic named VSL that many have successfully used, but I never did. My colon did not tolerate it and made me sick. There really is no food at the grocery store that I can tolerate besides fresh fruits. I have read many stories of patients with Crohn's or colitis who can't handle muscle proteins from meats, and that's equally true for me. However, I can absorb and defecate fresh pastured beef or venison. When I had my bag before reversal, I too was never consulted for FMT?

Be well.

Footie97

Mira

I had FMT just over a year ago for C. diff infection. It was basically a colonoscopy procedure. Same prep, anesthesia, etc. I am not sure about right now, but finding a company who offers the donated material may still be a problem. The FDA stopped it for a while since the material was not tested for COVID, I believe. There is another support group you can get a lot of advice from called cdiffdiscuss.org. They have many contributors that can offer more accurate info.

Good luck.

Clint

Mira25
Reply to Anonymous

I'm sorry to hear that you have such digestive issues. I've tried every probiotic and prebiotic known to humankind and they all had a detrimental effect. My system won't tolerate any food in the sense that it ejects everything, hence I'm very underweight. I feel that FMT is my last resort.

Thanks for your input. I wish you well too.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mira25
Reply to Footie97

Thanks, Clint. I have a professor in London who is going to perform the procedure.

Did you feel better health-wise after the treatment?

Footie97
Reply to Mira25

Yes, I did eventually get better, but I had post-infectious IBS for many months that you probably will not have to deal with. I am glad I did it once I got over the thought of the transplant material. Hopefully, you will respond to the treatment.

Good luck.

Clint.

Mira25
Reply to Footie97

Hi Clint,

Was the IBS a consequence of the C. diff rather than the FMT? I hope you don't mind me asking.

Footie97
Reply to Mira25

Def related to battling C. diff for 8+ months and being on antibiotics for 6 of those months. Very common after long-term infections. I don't think you would deal with that, it sounds like you have enough battles!

Clint