Ostomy Memories of Meatloaf

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

THE TOPIC HERE IS ACTUAL MEATLOAF, not the recently deceased singer/actor, may he rest in peace.  My meatloaves have typically been blah creations, slapped together when nothing else is available.  But this week, I hit on an additional ingredient that made it really good:  hoisin sauce.  We have used this with stir-fry for years, but otherwise it just sat on a shelf in the fridge.  It is made from a combination of fermented soybean paste (yum!), garlic, vinegar, sesame oil, chiles, and sweetener.  Its origin is Cantonese and it is sometimes referred to as Chinese barbeque sauce.  It has a salty, sweet flavor.  After I mixed the egg, onion, milk, breadcrumbs, and salt/pepper into the ground beef, I added about two tablespoons of hoisin sauce, then shoved it into the oven at 350 degrees for one hour.  Very tasty, with or without ketchup.  As a final aside, with regard to the singer/actor called Meatloaf, I hear that, now that he’s deceased, someone changed his name to Ground Beef.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

".........Someone changed his name to Ground Beef."

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Abefroman1969

I worked on the musical "Bat out of Hell" in Toronto.
I was forced to watch it the first night, my question was "How long is this tour supposed to last?"

I was told that people weren't coming for the story, it was Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman's fans that loved the music. The show closed that weekend and it never made it to touring, that was okay with me, I can't stand the music. I did have to find another job though.

Past Member
Reply to Abefroman1969

OMG, I used to love Meatloaf...especially 'Paradise By The Dashboard Light'!

LOL, partying to him was some of the best highlights of my teen years!

LOL, but good memories!

Abefroman1969
Reply to Anonymous

That seemed to be the song everyone loved, the scene was so cheesy though it pretty much ruined the song and turned into a comedy scene.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member
Reply to Abefroman1969

I'm sure it did! LOL

ron in mich

Hi all, we had meatloaf last night for supper. My wife puts Frank's hot sauce in the mix to give it more flavor.

Past Member

Since I'm a devoted stir fryer, hoisin sauce is always present and accounted for in my pantry. On its own, it tastes awful, but with the right ingredients, it becomes perfect. I've never thought of adding it to my occasional meatloaf, but will next time. Thanks for the cooking tip!

As for the musician Meatloaf, sad to hear he has died. But I have to admit I can't name or recall or hear in my head one of his tunes. I'll have to look on Spotify and see if anything jogs my memory. Hope he now rests in peace.

Past Member

So who's been a naughty girl then? I knew there was a wild child in there somewhere. LOL... Kitty said she was quite conservative as a 20's-30s girl. She wouldn't have gone for my hippie, long hair, beard looks. So I guess fate put us together in her more liberal period.... Hated Mr. T, POTUS sick joke haha with a passion, like me.

Eamon

Past Member

Yup...I was a party girl way way back in the day! LOL

Drank lots of green beer in my day on today...not any other day!

TerryLT
Reply to Anonymous

I still rock out and sing along to "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" whenever I hear it!

TerryLT

Hoisin in meatloaf sounds like a winner!

Past Member
Reply to TerryLT

Me too!

TerryLT
Reply to Anonymous

Well, as a friend of mine likes to say, "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional!"

Past Member
Reply to TerryLT

So true!

Justbreathe

Thanks Henry, I will give this a try as my meatloaf, on a scale of 1 to 10, is around a 6 at best...always looking for improvements.

In terms of the person Meatloaf or aka Ground Beef...may he rest in grease, ah er ..... Peace...

Past Member
Reply to Justbreathe

You and Henry are on a roll today!

bowsprit

Grinding your own meat would be good. A blend of meats would keep it from going dry and the Hoisin could be combined with Worcestershire. Wrapped in bacon and glazed another good idea. I have a recipe for Kashmiri meatloaf but that might be a bit hot for you, as it contains all the spices of the Orient in it, and probably not good for ostomates who have to watch how much heat they can consume. Best wishes and Bon Appétit.