Ostomy Memories of First Love

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

SOME THINGS YOU NEVER FORGET, nor would you want to.  Growing up is so filled with competing confusions and teenage angst, but your first love ought never be forgotten.  Even if it ended painfully, it provided something never again to be experienced:  the first rung on the ladder of growing up.  And so I have always remembered Wendy, my first love, and the Fifties song that provided the music for it:  ‘Dreamy Eyes’ by Johnny Tillotson.  

And I see paradise / Within those dreamy eyes.

The rhyme may not be exact but the metaphor was accurate.  I was head-over-heels.  Whether or not she was, I couldn’t say.  But for a few months it was enough to get me to take more showers and stop biting my fingernails.  It may not have lasted long, but it provided the impetus I needed to move on from my uncertain fantasies to my more substantial fantasies.  I had been Wendyized, and that’s progress of a kind.  Now, all these decades later, there’s only one thing that I know for sure:  thank goodness I moved on from that!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bowsprit

Why is just the first love memorable? Why not the subsequent ones?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM
Reply to bowsprit

The first of something --  first sex, first homerun, first win, first black female Supreme Court Justice -- is always the most memorable.  The subsequents may be memorable in their own way, but being first is always special.  "One small step for man, one giant step for mankind." 

bowsprit
Reply to HenryM

Yes. That song 'Solamente Una Vez' has some answers too.

AlexT

I learned one thing from my first love.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
xnine

I remember my first but not my second, third or fourth. I am not sure if she was my fifth but I remember her. Funny how the brain works.

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

You can't just leave us hanging?

AlexT
Reply to RaenotRay

You asked for it. She was a senior and I was a junior in high school. She decided to go to her senior prom with someone else because she was graduating and going off to college, and I was a 3-sport athlete with no issues of getting girls except I'm really shy in person (I'm a little better now). So, it kinda broke my heart and I learned actually 2 things from her...1) never cheat and 2) never lie. So, I've lived by that because it hurt and I don't want to do that to anyone else. So, any girl I've ever dated was told from the get-go that if she lies or cheats on me, she might as well end it right then because it'll never work out when I find out the truth. Ok, back to being my nerdy self.

RaenotRay
Reply to AlexT

Well, I like you even more now. You're definitely a cool kid.

AlexT
Reply to RaenotRay

I haven't been "cool" in a long time, thanks.