Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,920 members

Ostomy Memories of Potatoes

Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:51 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

“IT IS A MISTAKE,” said Douglas Adams, “TO THINK YOU CAN SOLVE ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS JUST WITH POTATOES.”  Well, of course, maybe MAJOR problems, but there are lots of MINOR problems you can solve with potatoes.  Morning blahs can readily be made to disappear by a nice, large portion of potatoes with onion.  There are countless wonderful recipes for breakfast potatoes.  Lunch boredom always gets a lift from good French fries, with or without a liberal dose of ketchup spritzed upon them.  As for dinner, can anything beat a fine baked potato, smothered in butter and/or sour cream.  Potato can be cooked so many ways, it’s almost criminal to not make them a regular part of your diet.  I once put an end to a blue funk with a massive helping of mashed potatoes with butter and chives.  Since I’m not a big fan of fish, but recognize the importance of making it a staple item, I neutralize my unhappiness over the fish with a huge sweet potato, filled with cinnamon and butter.  Escalloped potatoes are a go-to part of our holiday dinners.  As A. A. Milne once said, “if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”  Of course, I like broccoli too, but that just doesn’t have the same cachet.  

Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:21 am
Love 'em Henry! Now it's over to English Bill for a rhyme about spuds!😋
MeetAnOstoMate - 26,920 members

Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:35 am

Here  in New Brunswick, Canada a town called Harvey boasts "We are home to the famous “big potato” — the largest in the world!" 😊

Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:27 am

Hi Henry your making me hungry and i just had breakfast, we had baked potatos and slow cooker pork spare ribs for dinner last nite.

Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:04 pm

Spuds !!!  God's Gift ☘🙂.  The most versatile Veggie  . My fondest memories are Sunday Dinner with a nice little mountain of creamy mashed Spuds with a big dollop of  Irish Creary Butter  with baked Cod in a white creamy sauce with lots of boiled Onion strips in the sauce  .  The Real Irish butter is yellow and salty/ sweet  , pure Heaven . Add in some green onions and a raw egg blended in , nothing like it !!  We had an open fire and sitting in front of it we ( kiddies) would put 4 or 5 big Spuds into the fire , sitting on the hot coals  to cook , no foil etc , just drop them in . The outside would be hot and black but so flowery inside ...just amazing  taste , split and add butter and salt , amazing !! 

If you boil Spuds first and  split them into small chunks , not peeled  . They have to be boiled fairly soft to be the best .   Put the Spuds in a baggie and add your favorite seasoning  and shake it up .Bake the chunks in a baking tray uncovered  until they get slightly crispy ...nothing like it , you can eat them like potato chips !! , just better and healthier for you .    

The Irish proved that you could live on  Spuds exclusively  for a lot of your life and stay alive ....because the Occupiers took all their other crops like Grain crops  in liew of rent and exported it to England and to feed the army  there was no choice  but the Spud , Salt and sometimes a little butter , maybe black Tea . Enough edible Spuds would have been nice but An Gorta Mor  ruled that out.  . They grew lots of Grains but could never  keep it for the family . 

The point is that we as a  Country found so many ways to cook and eat a Spud it would fill a book !!    Not to forget the delicious  French Fry , I love them !!  They are so easy to grow . Split a Spud and put them inder your sink , roots in a week . They will grow in  big pot  and the Spuds just keep sprouting as you pick them . Mine got  "The Blight " a few times and it was scary looking at the smelly rotten handful of mush that was a beautiful Spud until I squished it in my hand  . I imagined that the mush in my hand was my Only source of nutrition and got a shiver down my spine . Losing the Spuds meant losing your one room dry-stone cottage / Hovel ultimately and life , frozen to death under an improvised   lean-to in a Bog .  

Time has changed circumstance  but the Irish are still fiercely  loyal to the delicious Spud . It wasn't the failure of the  Spuds that caused  An Gorta Mor  , it was how the governing Royal administration that ruled the country  mostly sat on their hands. According to the Rulers   it was the fault of the " disgusting , lazy Pesants who were terrible farmers  with no morals " ( because the whole family slept in one room , there was Only one room with the Pig in the corner because it was so valuable to have one .) .  

The history of the Spud in Ireland is a valuable  lesson on Monoculture as it's practiced by Corporate farming  today ...worst case scenario !! 

Eamon ☘

Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:

Spuds !!!  God's Gift ☘🙂.  The most versatile Veggie  . My fondest memories are Sunday Dinner with a nice little mountain of creamy mashed Spuds with a big dollop of  Irish Creary Butter ...

And here I thought they were just potatoes. 😁 

Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:11 pm

They were definitely Just Spuds when we put them in the hot coals to bake , a big ugly Spud split down the middle  with a bit of salt ...Yummm , butter definitely makes it better !!  Next time you do Charcoal just throw a couple onto the coals  ( even cover them with hot coals ) and poke with a fork to check the progress . 

Bon Appetit Mike 🙂  Eamon  ☘

Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:21 pm

They are my favorite food.

Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:40 pm

Ode to The Humble Spud ...final word ( then I'll  stay sthum ) .   Every kid in school named Murphy was always , no exception ,  called Spud Murphy 🤪. I got Magoo from my Brothers ...thanks ! 

The humble Spud provided a crash course in how victims of food shortages ( turning into Famine ) end up as victims of famine ..  I don't mention this subject just as a past Irish problem  , it's an ongoing problem in so many places . The numbers just get more devastating  with every new Famine . India had a terrible Famine under British Rule for similar reasons as Ireland.    Sudan was the latest . Ireland is tiny  so when you look at the Percentage of the population it looks different . My County , Mayo is I believe , the biggest County in Ireland and  40% - 50%  of the population of Mayo  died of starvation in a short time while food was being exported by the ton  . In Sudan I'm sure millions of tons  of food was being exported as  .hundreds of thousands of  people were dying of hunger  ...because they were / are of a different political stripe . Many of my own relatives I'm sure were lost to hunger at the time  , my family name is a really old Mayo name,  back past medieval times  ,   pre  1,000 AD , I've got all those Celtic Genes . Dublin and East Coast is mainly  Viking and  Norman / Norsemen  , reformed settled  Vikings .    .  Food has always been used as a weapon of war ,  climate might get the ball rolling but avaricious political hacks finish the job of starving the people to death . Climate change will not help . 

On the other hand my family would be very different today , I'm sure . If the mass emigration and the Famine did not happen   , maybe better   , maybe worse , who knows .  Either way the move to the US  was a great move for my family members  ( 1/2 of us  ) and the  1/2  who stayed in Ireland worked out  well also .  I grew up in The Bronx and in the San Francisco Bay Area so I feel more American than Irish and absolutely Love the  US  🙂. It pained me to see the garbage that was and is being spewed  by violent Nationalist types ....that is the kind of shit that usually preceeds some type of domestic conflict . I recognize many of those angry words and statements, same words came  from the Loyalist Mobs as they threw bricks and bottles at 5 to 9  year old Boys and Girls( late 1990s)   who were walking to school hand in hand , faces streaked with floods of tears as the British troops tried to protect them from the disgusting aninals who were treating little kids this way , a Loyalist / Unionist  mob . If the other side had done that I would say the same thing .

The Humble Spud has a greusome history in some respects but has mostly been  a life giver and not a life taker .  If you like Spuds check out the huge variety of South American Spuds . All the colors and flavours of the rainbow , black , purple , gold , pure white  , just amazing Heirloom Varieties . Yummm .   And don't forget the fresh churned butter ....you wish !  

Gotta go ...Eamon ☘

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:21 am

Anonymous wrote:

Ode to The Humble Spud ...final word ( then I'll  stay sthum ) .   Every kid in school named Murphy was always , no exception ,  called Spud Murphy 🤪. I got Magoo from my Brothers ...t...

I seem to have inspired Magoo's inner Mr. Potato Head. 

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:23 am

HenryM wrote:

😂😂😂

Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:45 am

Where did you get that pic of me Henry !! ?   where's my neck  ! ?  The moustache was definitely Photoshopped  🤪😎

MisterMagoo ☘

Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:47 am

HenryM wrote:

Did you know the lady who did the voice of Mrs. Potatohead in Toy Story died a few days ago? 

Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:48 am

Kitty says ...."  not Another Story Magoo  !!!!"  But Kitty was a good sport  and would always end up laughing with me ...❤💚

Eamon ☘

Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:10 pm

AlexT wrote:

Did you know the lady who did the voice of Mrs. Potatohead in Toy Story died a few days ago? 

I did not know that.  May she rest in peace in the great potato field in the sky.

Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:19 pm

HenryM wrote:

I did not know that.  May she rest in peace in the great potato field in the sky.

May she rest in peace. ❤️ I'm a big "Seinfeld" fan and she was the obnoxious mother Estelle Costanza in that sitcom. Her real name is Estelle Harris.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.