Book/mini series Tokyo Vice

Replies
Views
Abefroman1969

I've been to Japan twice, Tokyo 2x and Osaka 1x.

I read the book the second time I was in Japan, the book is banned there. I found it quite fascinating that an American from Columbia, MO, decided to move to Japan and become the very first foreign reporter ever at a Japanese Shimbun (newspaper) the book was so good I had a hard time putting it down and won't let anyone borrow it because I don't want it to go missing or not be returned.

I started watching the mini series this morning on HBOMAX and it is very good tv and sticks very close to the book, I may wind up catching up on all episodes so far today! There are 8 total episodes and 6 have been released so far. It deals with the issues of being a gaijin and trying to be a reporter along with the cultural differences of the Japanese and Americans.

The book was written by and based on the experiences of Jake Adelstein who still lives in Japan to this day.

Ansel Elgort plays Jake, Ken Wantanabe plays a policeman trying to advise and keep Jake alive as he is doing a story on the yakusa (Japanese Mafia)

I highly recommend reading the book first then enjoy the mini series.

Hope some of you find it as fascinating as I do.

Abe

Past Member

Thanks! I may check it out.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Tell us about your trips to Japan.

Abefroman1969
Reply to Anonymous

When I'm feeling up to it I will do just that, it is a beautiful country and they truly are great hosts. I would go back if asked to do so again in an instant!
The land of the rising sun is one of my favorite places I've ever visited/worked in.

Abe

Past Member
Reply to Abefroman1969

I look forward to it.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister