Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,920 members

Ostomy Memories of Lawn Mowing

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:37 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

THE GUY ACROSS THE STREET FROM ME mows his lawn before it really needs mowing.  This obsessive phenomenon has been ongoing for a long time.  His lawn is not small and he’s out there frequently pushing that mower back and forth while I’m wondering how he can tell where he’s cut from where he hasn’t cut.  Perhaps as we get into the dog days of summer, the need to mow often will become more real, but right now it just looks like he’s feeding a craven monkey.  I find myself trying to imagine what there is in his personal life that impels him to expend the time and effort to mow over and over when it doesn’t need mowing.  Is it preceded by an argument with his wife?  Is he avoiding his wife’s romantic entreaties by cranking up the mower and staying outside for so long?  Perhaps he’s a writer and the constant thrum and roar of the engine helps him to review the next chapter in his mind as he pushes ahead in the grass.  Or could it be what he’s settled on as an exercise routine?  Perhaps his father beat him as a kid for not mowing the lawn and that trauma has led him to this.  There’s no one in the neighborhood I can turn to as a potential source of information about this because the guy doesn’t interact with any of his neighbors.  He’s a dumpy little man, about fifty-five or so, who appears to be timid beyond reason.  He doesn’t even have any domestic pets, which is highly suspicious to a pet lover like me.  Maybe he’s trying to expiate some terrible sin from his past.  What grievous sin could possibly lead to penance by lawn mower obsession?  I don’t even want to think about it.

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:50 am

I gotta have nice neat mower lines to soothe my OCD. 😁 sometimes I’ll mow sooner than need be cause of impending weather or knowing I won’t have time later in the week. So, I can relate to your neighbor. 😬

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,920 members
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:51 am

i mow often just because i want to be doing something, and it isnt uncommon for me to mow twice a week sometimes besides i find that it helps with the ptsd kinda like a short therapy session. i just like seeing my grass cut smoothly and i feel like it shows that i have accomplished something, besides here in Texas i really have to stay ahead of the weeds.

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:47 am

I dislike strongly mowing my grass. 😅 And I don't mow as often as I should. My neighbors on both sides of me have perfectly manicured lawns. They don't say anything to me but I'm sure they want to. LOL   I have started to fill in the lawn with perennials to make a bee/butterfly/hummingbird yard instead of flat green grass which is useless (IMO). 🐝🌼🦋🌻 🐦🌷

Axl
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:47 am

The guy next door to me has such a tiny grass area to mow that he cuts mine which is a large block, sure I pay him for it but it's more than that, he's a great guy and can't stand still for 5 seconds but I can't work out of he does it to get away from the family which are a handful or he gets some sort of therapy out of it, he almost has a smile on his face when he's at it.

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:58 am

Prolly OCD  - - - I can’t dis the guy as I obsess over picking dead flowers off my hibiscus plants and harvesting chin hairs.  Of course if there’s something better to do I am outta here !

Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:06 am

My neighbor behind me fires up his mower every other day, this starts in early April and doesn’t end until around November 1st. It’s not a big lawn but it certainly gets mowed a lot, he usually starts about 7:30am and will go off and on until about 9am, the day doesn’t matter it’s just his routine. He’s a very good neighbor otherwise but his lawn obsession is annoying at times when you just want to rest but the hum of the mower doesn’t allow for it. 

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:19 am

Hi all i dont mind cutting grass as our summers are so short here i N. Mich. and like the smell of fresh cut grass, the hum of a distant mower is like white noise and helps me take a nap, its the sound of chainsaws that that irritate me as i know someone is getting their wood ready for winter.

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:12 pm

Our former next-door neighbour used to mow his lawn obsessively, thereby showing us up all the time.  It's like pulling teeth to get my husband to mow, he can always find something else that needs doing more, so we are not hard to show up.  It never failed that within a day or two of our lawn getting mowed, our neighbour would be out there doing his, making ours look bad almost immediately.  I'm not sure we are any better off now though.  New new owners are worse than us, and they never weed, so the weeds are spreading to our lawn.  Oh well, first world problems, I guess!

Terry

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:17 pm

delgrl525 wrote:

Our former next-door neighbour used to mow his lawn obsessively, thereby showing us up all the time.  It's like pulling teeth to get my husband to mow, he can always find something else that needs...

LOL first world problems! I said that to my daughter this week! 

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:42 pm

delgrl525 wrote:

Our former next-door neighbour used to mow his lawn obsessively, thereby showing us up all the time.  It's like pulling teeth to get my husband to mow, he can always find something else that needs...

I have a similar problem with a neighbor's weeds migrating into my lawn.  Solution:  I have a service spray my yard periodically for weeds (also fertilize), so his weeds stop at the property line now.

Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:26 am

delgrl525 wrote:

My neighbor lady has her yard mowed usually on Tuesday. I usually mow mine on Thursday so it looks good for the weekend and makes hers look shaggy. 😁 Gots to outdo thy neighbor. 🙏🏻 😇

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.