Ostomy Memories Thinks About Thinking

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

SOMETIMES WE THINK TOO MUCH; sometimes we don’t think enough; sometimes thought itself is like an unfamiliar phenomenon to be shunned at all costs.  I tend to spiral off into indecision when I over-intellectualize something and find myself tied in irresolute knots.  Should I, or shouldn’t I?  Do I need it, or can I do without it?  Is it worth it, or not?  Some activities carry inherent risks that would give significant pause to a clever man, but a dummy would not only try it, but succeed.  It makes you think that our brains are compartmentalized into ‘things I can do’ and ‘things I can’t do.’  I watched a guy fix my car once, something I could never do, like he was born for such work, but he’ll never read a book and can’t pronounce words with more than three syllables.  It makes you wonder what’s really important in life.  A familiar cliché of our time is the entreaty to ‘think outside the box.’  I take it to be a plea for creative thinking, but I’d be more comfortable with the prospect if, for starters, I could count on there being thinking going on INSIDE the box.  Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum.  (I think that I think, therefor I think that I am.)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I am guilty of overthinking at times. So I started practicing mindfulness to quiet my overactive mind. Stay in the moment.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Justbreathe

Loved this, Sally! Wonder if there is an Overthinkers Anonymous Club. Probably not, they would never get anything done!

Going to go have a cookie now

Past Member
Reply to Justbreathe

LOL, we need that club! Cookies are good anytime! Or are they? Hmmm.

HenryM
Reply to Anonymous

You need to start a My Favorite Cookie game, Sally.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Reply to HenryM

What a good idea, Henry! I'm all over it!

Justbreathe
Reply to Anonymous

I don't know, I'll have to overthink about that!

Past Member
Reply to Justbreathe

TerryLT

Yes, count me in as a member of the "Overthinker's Club"! I know I've wasted a lot of time in life thinking, instead of just doing. Some of that time, I should have been sleeping!

By the way, I have been "thinking" of doing this for a long time, so I will take this opportunity! Henry, you are a treasure, and I want you to know that your little daily "squibs", as you call them, are always much appreciated by me and I'm sure many, many others. I know you put a lot of thought into them, and it does not go wasted. You always have something to say that is interesting, thought-provoking, clever, often funny, and smart. I look forward to reading them every day, and I don't take for granted the effort you put into them. So, thanks Henry. Keep being you.

Terry

Past Member
Reply to TerryLT

Yes, thank you Henry!