Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
27,324 members

Normal ~ Strange

Thu May 19, 2022 10:26 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

I'm at work today and it's  slow.... a Thursday leading up to a long weekend here in the Great White North so folks are out stocking up on beer and hotdogs. 🍺🌭😄LOL 

I thought this would be interesting since we have people on here from all around the globe. 😀

 

Thu May 19, 2022 10:38 am

Here in the Great White North we apologize for everything! 😅🍁 LOL  We even apologize for apologizing too much! 😅🍁 Sorry!

MeetAnOstoMate - 27,324 members
Thu May 19, 2022 11:04 am

Saying 

No Ma’am , Yes Ma’am

No Sir , Yes Sir 

Here in Charleston, SC 

You get plenty of odd looks 🤔

Thu May 19, 2022 11:06 am

How extremely loud my countrymen are at almost all times and how we stick out like sore thumbs when traveling, if we can stay quiet enough we claim we are Canadians when we travel..

Thu May 19, 2022 11:09 am


charleston guy wrote:

Saying 

No Ma’am , Yes Ma’am

No Sir , Yes Sir 

Here in Charleston, SC 

You get plenty of odd looks 🤔

LOL I remember that when I lived in North Carolina for awhile. First time I was ever called Ma’am.

Thu May 19, 2022 11:14 am


Abefroman1969 wrote:

How extremely loud my countrymen are at almost all times and how we stick out like sore thumbs when traveling, if we can stay quiet enough we claim we are Canadians when we travel..

LOL it so true that Americans do that.  I have dual citizenship so I'm covered. 😛

Thu May 19, 2022 11:21 am

I didn’t know until recently how new the national flag of Canada is, solid decisions were made 

Thu May 19, 2022 11:28 am

Lol Sally

It’s more respect than age in my opinion saying that. Though I do respect my elders and use those terms quite often. 😊

Thu May 19, 2022 11:32 am


charleston guy wrote:

Lol Sally

It’s more respect than age in my opinion saying that. Though I do respect my elders and use those terms quite often. 😊

I was 26 at the time so I didn't like it very much. LOL

Thu May 19, 2022 12:03 pm

Howdy  🤠 , I was driving to The North 😱😱...with my two Sisters and the traffic got very slow in Sligo . The road is ting so no idea what's going on . Finally we got moving and a big yellow sign proclaimed

"Stud Mounting in Progress "  ????? 

We all just looked at each other and started laughing .  I told my Sis  the Studs were just around the corner so cover your eyes !! 😈🤯

You could never guess what this Mounting is all about ?? 

  They were installing the " Drunk Bumps"  between the two lanes . Those round Button shaped dividers . 🤪. I actually had no idea what it meant .

    Coincidentally  my very first job in Ca was at a place called   " Rapid Mounting "  !!  🤣  They printed giant  posters . 

Magoo. 

Thu May 19, 2022 12:07 pm


Mayoman wrote:

Howdy  🤠 , I was driving to The North 😱😱...with my two Sisters and the traffic got very slow in Sligo . The road is ting so no idea what's going on . Finally we got moving and a big yello...

😂😂😂

Thu May 19, 2022 12:13 pm

I can understand that Sally at being 26 and hearing yes Ma’am would make you feel old before your time 🙄. 

Thu May 19, 2022 1:05 pm

Queuing for everything and anything. Us Brits really know how to get in line lol 😂 XX

Thu May 19, 2022 1:06 pm


Caz67 wrote:

Queuing for everything and anything. Us Brits really know how to get in line lol 😂 XX

LOL 😅

Thu May 19, 2022 2:08 pm

Quite a few actually, but men hugging and kissing each other on the cheek would be one of them. Some kiss the forehead, but that is a sign of loyalty and respect.

Thu May 19, 2022 2:48 pm


bowsprit wrote:

Quite a few actually, but men hugging and kissing each other on the cheek would be one of them. Some kiss the forehead, but that is a sign of loyalty and respect.

Guys do not do that here.


Thu May 19, 2022 8:26 pm

All I can think of is language and Australian sayings that may not be heard anywhere else (perhaps that's a good thing!)  This list goes on forever, my apologies (yes, we say sorry way too much too, must be a colonial thing, sorry!) 😎

When "have a good arvo" draws a blank stare.   When is the rest of the world going to get on board with the endless list of Australia's very excellent everyday phrases?

"She'll be right"
Because there's simply no better way to let another person know that everything is going to work out just peachy, so turn that frown upside down.

"My shout"
Here's a fact: Our American friends have no idea what a shout or a round is. But they really should, for the sake of our bank accounts.

"Chuck a sickie"
 This one is up there with "bludging". On second thought, it might be a good idea to keep these phrases to ourselves. You never know when you might need to call in a mental health day.

"Spit the dummy"
Because we all need to be able to call out a grown man or woman when they are having an unnecessary tantrum and embarrassing us both.

"Carrying on (like a pork chop)"
See above.

"Bloody hell"
Conveys so much frustration in just two words.

"Have a good one"
Usual response to this friendly farewell tends to be, "have a good what?" I'll never tell.

"A bogan"
There really is no replacement. A redneck? An uncultured person? It's a cracker of a word though.

"Taking the piss"
Admittedly, we've nicked this one from our British chums, who enjoy a bit of lighthearted ridiculing as much as we do. Americans, not so much.

"Have a crack"
Challenge: go for the trifecta with something like, "No worries, I'll have a crack and let you know how I get on." Enjoy the blank stares that follow.

"Yeah, nah"
Any Aussie will tell you there's a distinct difference between "yeah, nah" and "nah, yeah".

"Ta"
Because we're lazy AF but we still want to thank you, kind sir.

"I'll suss it out"
"I'll investigate so as to determine the correct answer and will report back in a timely fashion."

"Arvo"
Also bowlo, bottlo, garbo, barbie, brekkie, mozzie, servo, tradie, cozzie, Macca's (am I missing any?)

"Throw a shrimp on the barbie"
Said no Australian, ever (prawns maybe). Write that down.

To be fair, there are heaps more. (We say heaps a lot, too). 😁

Thu May 19, 2022 8:46 pm


Anonymous wrote:

All I can think of is language and Australian sayings that may not be heard anywhere else (perhaps that's a good thing!)  This list goes on forever, my apologies (yes, we say sorry way too much to...

Love these. 🥰

Thu May 19, 2022 9:24 pm


charleston guy wrote:

Saying 

No Ma’am , Yes Ma’am

No Sir , Yes Sir 

Here in Charleston, SC 

You get plenty of odd looks 🤔

I say that even to people a lot younger than I am. I have been told to be respectful to others in charge of a situation. I also let people in front of me when in line at check out lanes. They look at me kinda funny and ask are you sure.

Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:37 pm

Friday Fish Fry in Wisconsin. We'd never heard of it before moving here. 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours