Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,358 members
Next >

Ostomy Memories of Graffiti

This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

THERE IS A PLACE ALONG ONE OF THE ROUTES that I take on morning walks that has a long, high wall that runs beside a length of sidewalk facing the street.  There is an obvious spot on this wall where its caretakers have been compelled to paint out some graffiti that a local vandal left upon it.  I say ‘vandal’ because graffiti is defined in my dictionary as writing or drawings scribbled, scratched or sprayed ILLICITLY (i.e. without permission) on a wall or other surface in a public place.  I once found myself in a discussion with my niece as to whether graffiti was ‘art.’  Her definition was broader and more permissive than mine.  To me, for something to rise to the level of ‘art’ it must be a product of imaginative skill AND be good enough to generate appreciation primarily for its beauty and emotional power.   By this standard, then, profane symbols, gang messages, or such things as political rantings would not qualify as art.  These days, it appears that some graffiti has earned the moniker ‘wall art,’ and I would guess that these examples are typically not illicit but, rather, produced with the wall owner’s permission if not outright encouragement.  I would be willing to grant that some graffiti, such as that depicted in the photo I’ve included, could be deemed by some art, though not that which would appeal to my rather traditional perspective, although I have been a fan of the great Stan Lee.

Hello HenryM.

Graffiti is a subject matter that I have contemplated in the past and it probably indicates my original  knee-jerk perspective when I say that the rhymes were located in a book entitled ‘Di-Line Rhyme on Anti-social Behaviour’ (2016).  However, the more I thought about it the more I concluded that many of the buildings which attracted the ‘graffiti-vandals’ were uglier and more offensive than the imbecilic scrawling and random paintings that eventually adorned the structures. Thus, ugliness appeared to attract ugliness.

Hence. I have chosen just two ‘Di-line Rhymes’ to reflect this alternative perspective.

Best wishes

Bill

Graffiti (6)

DISTASTEFUL STRUCTURES ARE THE START

OF EVEN MORE DISTASTEFUL ART.

B. Withers 2015 

GRAFFITI PROMISE.

WHEN YOU STOP BUILDING ALL THIS SHIT

THEN I’LL NOT COME AND PAINT ON IT!

B. Withers 2015 

From : pp22-23 ‘Di-Line Rhyme on Anti-social Behaviour’ (2016).  

MeetAnOstoMate - 28,358 members

I get to see graffiti every second I’m at work. Train cars seem to be an ideal canvas for those with spray paint. Let me say, there are some true artists out there. 👍 Especially with using spray paint and the details they can get is pretty damn impressive. 

AlexT wrote:

I get to see graffiti every second I’m at work. Train cars seem to be an ideal canvas for those with spray paint. Let me say, there are some true artists out there. 👍 Especially with using spr...

That's interesting.  What, if anything, does the RR do about it?

HenryM wrote:

That's interesting.  What, if anything, does the RR do about it?

Not much that I know of unless they happen to catch taggers in the act. A guy that I work with brother was a very well known tagger and was actually on the most wanted list. The guy finally grew up and now makes a great living as a graphic designer of some sort. Most taggers know to not paint over the identifying letters /numbers on a train car. Those that do usually get called out by another tagger. 

We have RR tracks right through the middle of town. I love watching the trains... lots of great artwork. It's just kind of cool to think someone far far away did that artwork and I get to see it. 😍

AlexT wrote:

I get to see graffiti every second I’m at work. Train cars seem to be an ideal canvas for those with spray paint. Let me say, there are some true artists out there. 👍 Especially with using spr...

Lucky you...Take some pics for us! 😍

SallyK wrote:

Lucky you...Take some pics for us! 😍

I wish I could but I can’t have my phone on  while we’re moving or anyone is on the ground. 

AlexT wrote:

I wish I could but I can’t have my phone on  while we’re moving or anyone is on the ground. 

😧 That's too bad.

Hi Henry,  If one were to follow your definition of 'art', a lot of what is hanging on the walls of modern art galleries all over this world, would not qualify.  I agree with you 100%.  Some of the stuff that is considered 'art', I look at and say to myself, "that guy must be laughing all the way to the bank".  On the other hand, there is a lot of graffiti that is definitely 'art', except for the fact that it was not commissioned by anyone.  We have been experiencing a huge up-tick in graffiti in Vancouver, particularly in Chinatown, where some of it has gotten really ugly and racist.  Some local street people, who also just happen to be really talented, got together and took it upon themselves to cover this ugly graffiti with some really beautiful graffiti, and the business owners are all very happy with it.  In this case, it's turned out to be a really good thing.  

Terry

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.