Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
27,324 members

6 month old with diaper rash around stoma

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:16 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Hi! My son is 6 months old and has an ileostomy. He came down with an upper respiratory infection a few days ago and the medicine they prescribed to treat it gave him diarrhea. He leaked under the wafer of his ostomy bag and his skin ended up getting very irritated as a result, so we've taken a break from the ostomy bag at the suggestion of his doctors and are using the double diaper method to catch everything. We've been using a medicated diaper cream to protect his skin and prevent yeast infection, but his skin isn't getting better because we're having a hard time preventing the waste from touching his skin. Any recommendations for what to do? 

Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:02 pm

Poor little guy, sorry he has to go thru any of this stuff. I’d think about the only thing possible is to keep the area as clean as possible and once he’s over his medication, hopefully it’ll clear up and you can get back to your normal. 

MeetAnOstoMate - 27,324 members
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:10 pm

Hello cherishfaith14.

Thank you for sharing your problem with us as it is a problem which has come up on several previous occasions, when there were some useful suggestions. I think if you have a look on Bob's past posts you will find some useful tips. he hasn't been around recently but if he reads this he might chip in with some comments. I would be reluctant to suggest anything for a 6 month old without running it past the medics first as baby's skin is so much more sensitive than that of the average adult's.

Some time ago I bought  a couple of tins of liquid silicone rubber that they use for special effects and artificial skin in the film industry. It struck me that this would provide an effective barrier in the event of recurrent leaks from my stoma. The substance worked very well until I discovered Salts stoma collars, which did the job for me without the faff of painting on the artificial skin.

The stuff I used was called MMSKIN 13A & MMskin13B and was manufactured by acc-silicones.com. I feel sure that there would be similar products produced in the USA for the film industry  and if you could find a reputable make-up artist, they might be able to recommend one that is suitable for babies.  

As I said earlier, things like silicone and other such products need to be used with extreme care on babies but they can offer alternatives for when the medical solutions don't work.

I do hope you find a solution to this problem soon.

Best wishes

Bill 

Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:05 pm

My heart goes out to you and your little one. Wish I could help. Sending loads of love your way.  ❤️

Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:57 pm

I really wish I had some advice for you. Sadly, all I can offer is best wishes for you and your little guy. Good luck to you both.

Last edited by StPetie on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:29 pm

do you use barrier rings if not please try they work fantastic and can be molded by hand to fit right around stoma closer the better then wafer 

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:44 pm

Have you tried 3M Cavilon No-Sting Barrier Film  creates a barrier to protect the skin 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b00042019/

Hopefully this link works 

I will be praying for the little guy

cplumber

Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:11 pm

So sorry you’re having this issue!  Skin creams are great but not always great barriers. The Ostomy output is more caustic than regular poop so your little guy is breaking down faster. 

There is a product called “Marathon” made by Medlin Industries. It’s got wound care and ostomates. It’s expensive but hands down the best skin protectant I’ve used. My Ostomy nurse also loves it. 

hope this helps. 

Traci 

Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 am

Hi Cherish sorry to hear about your little guy, there,s a product i believe its called tegaderm thats is a thin film you put in place around the stoma and then the wafer and pouch in place over it, also i think the pink tape company nexcare also has something like that. good luck 

Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Bill wrote:

Hello cherishfaith14.

Thank you for sharing your problem with us as it is a problem which has come up on several previous occasions, when there were some useful suggestions. I think if you have a ...

Calamine lotion seems to do very well when the parastomal skin gets irritated, also 3m Spray followed by coloplast adhesive powder, (crusting), multiple times may ensure keeping the output away from the skin.
Ed Maste

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:54 pm

I’ll keep your sweet baby in my prayers for a speedy recovery!!! 

Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:00 pm

Brava Protective Seal. These are incredible stoma rings that stop leaks and allow damage skin to heal. Try the Thin version . Break ring apart and use as much as needed for a baby stoma. Do not order The Brava moldeable ring . Those are terrible you want the Brava Protective Seal. Use these under appliance . They are a game changer 

Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:26 pm

checking in love how is our little one doing as of late....thinking of ya 💕 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.