Ostomy Memories of IQ Questions

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

I KNOW SMART PEOPLE who never experienced so-called higher education.  Maybe they just couldn’t afford it; maybe they didn’t have the opportunity; or, perhaps, they simply decided that it wasn’t for them.  On the other hand, some of the dumbest people I know have advanced degrees.  The obvious irony doesn’t speak too highly for formal education.  I may know what a non sequitur is, but I can’t repair a motor.  My father-in-law could, and he never went beyond the eighth grade.  Yet, I have seen lawyers who were too clumsy and inarticulate to present a cogent argument.  “The difference between intelligence and education is this,” said inventor Charles F. Kettering.  “Intelligence will make you a good living.”  Well, maybe.  There need to be some other factors in the mix to produce the comfortable income.  But the point is, don’t be fooled by the fancy school certificate hanging on the wall.  I’d much rather sit at a bar with my electrician than my doctor.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bowsprit

Neither a high IQ nor higher education guarantees success in life. Street smarts and an ability to bounce back after adversity are important. However, those with both a good IQ and an advanced degree generally do better. Many of those who have clawed their way to the top echelons possess another attribute-- Machiavellianism. "Nice guys finish last" is a truism.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello HenryM.

It took me many years to figure out what went wrong with my school -‘education’.
 I often used to say (when the occasion arose) that the only thing I learned at school was how to ‘hate’*. This was down to the bullying from teachers, who taught this subject* very well.

When I left school I began to look for (other) reasons why the school system did not enable me to learn.

The main reason/excuse I came up with was that I was useless at ‘remembering’ things.
 I then figured that the whole of the school curriculum is designed to ‘tell’ people what they ‘should’ know and the exam system is designed to ascertain what it is the pupils have ‘remembered’.
If this method was adopted by Russia , China, or any other dictatorial state, it would of course, be labelled as ‘brainwashing’.  

I have always been an independent ‘thinker’ (although back then I was not able to identify this trait or articulate it). Therefore, instead of remembering answers, I tended to come up with alternative questions (& answers), which according to the ‘system’, were invariably ‘wrong’. (and irritated the teachers no-end!)

It wasn’t until I had reached the third level courses at the Open University that my tutor-marked assignments went from very low (almost fail) to very high,(honours level) almost overnight.  The tutor-comments gave me insights as to what had been amiss before and what had changed at the ‘higher’ levels:

The lower levels required a regurgitation of what someone else had found out (i.e. Remembering).

At the higher levels the tutors were stating quite clearly how refreshing it was (for them) to be reading answers from someone who had obviously thought the subject through independently.

Incidentally, once I had grasped the concept of what was required to ‘succeed’ in the academic system, I decided to skip the 'taught - courses' and go straight for research projects, which were entirely my own work and not dependent upon what other people defined as what I ‘should’ be doing, thinking or learning.

Eventually, I ended up with three doctoral dissertations/theses, and felt that I was no more ‘intelligent’ than when I was back at school. It also left me with the distinct impression that the academic system is a mirror-image of a dictatorial society that is ruled by ‘bullies’ of one sort or another , who genuinely believe that they are always ‘right’., and therefore dissenters from their dictates must be ‘wrong’.

Writing rhyming verse is a way of detaching one’s-self from academia and indeed from society and most of its ills, whilst simultaneously being able to comment independently upon what one is observing.

One of the most ‘intelligent’ men I ever met, never had an ‘education’ and coincidentally, enabled me to think that  ‘intelligence’ should probably be defined as:  ‘The ability to make the most of whatever environment one finds one’s-self in.’

I leave you with my rhyming requiem as an attempt to capture the essence of ‘Albert’ , as I knew him.

Best wishes

Bill

ALBERT.

This Albert was a travelling man
but not one with a caravan.
He sheltered in a bender-tent
and thus avoided paying rent.

I know he was illiterate
and probably innumerate.
Yet living in obscurity
he had achieved maturity.

As we sat with wooded fire
certain things I would admire.
With every subject, Albert’s wit
was well-aimed to harpoon it.

Albert had an ambience
born from his experience.
His cup seemed full, right to the brim
wild creatures came to sup with him.

He swapped his tent for a new flat
and seemed to be content with that
Once settled into his new home
there was no need for him to roam.

Albert always had good health
even though he had no wealth.
He went to hospital one day
but there he caught MRSA.

Though Albert is now long-since dead
I still recall the things he said
and how those fruitful little talks
come back to me on my long walks.

I’m glad that I was Albert’s friend
right up until the very end.
I’m pleased that I could squeeze his hand
and know that he would understand.

B. Withers 2012 

(in: ‘A Rhyming Cookbook 2013)

HenryM
Reply to bowsprit

I agree with you.  Leo Durocher, and Machiavelli, had a point.

TerryLT
Reply to bowsprit

Yes, unfortunately a lack of conscience will help get you to the top. Couple that with charm, and you have an even better chance. I've never been able to figure out how Trump got to the top position in the U.S. I guess he has the requisite education (I hear he scraped by to earn a bachelor's degree) and he certainly has no conscience, but he has about as much charm as a snake.

Terry

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
elwick

I once worked with an elderly gentleman who had a sign on his desk that stated, "Old Age and Treachery Will Always Beat Skill and Youth." Enough said.

HenryM
Reply to elwick

That's a great line.  Willie Nelson uses it in one of his songs, but I don't know if he originated it.