Finding Neighborly Bliss in Massachusetts

Replies
Views
Abefroman1969

Moving to Massachusetts a few years back, I wasn't sure what to expect neighbor-wise.
When I lived in Washington state, I had no idea who my neighbors were, and it was honestly probably best that way. I lived in my mother's townhouse that I inherited the payments on when she passed away. It was a lovely home, but it had an HOA that was constantly in my business. No love was lost between myself and that meddling HOA.

When I moved, my only request was that we not look at or entertain the idea of looking at properties that had an HOA. I had pretty much 48 hours to look and find a place I liked before I left for Tokyo/Osaka for 8 weeks.

I found a lovely home 3 blocks from a private beach about 35 miles south of Boston, so close enough but not too close to family and a place to make a living. The realtor for the seller was not at all fun to deal with, but my realtor took all that stress off me. I made an offer, and we were off and running. I set up a POA with my sister so she could sign the closing paperwork if it hopefully got that far.

Lucky for me, it did. I got a lovely home close to the beach and no dreaded HOA. Well, come to find out, there is a neighborhood association to pay for that private beach and public meeting space called the COOP. I was not pleased to find this out after the fact. Until I found out the cost: $200 a year, not $400 a month that I was paying in WA.

When I got back from Japan and started moving in, it was like something you see on TV or in the movies. Neighbors were stopping by, introducing themselves, welcoming me to the neighborhood, exchanging phone numbers, and generally just being amazing people.

I feel as though I hit the neighbor lottery when it comes to my neighborhood. People looking out for each other and taking care of each other.
When I got home from the hospital this time, I had at least 4 neighbors stop by to see how I was doing and demanding I give them grocery lists.

The old saying goes, "Fences make great neighbors." While true in some instances, I've found that just being good people make the best neighbors. I wouldn't trade my neighborhood family for anything. It's not all puppies and kittens, but compared to where I moved from, it's my own little slice of heaven.

The slang term for Massachusetts residents is "massholes." If my neighbors are what a masshole is, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm very thankful to be surrounded by these folks with family nearby as well.

Other than the health bit, it's the best move I've ever made, and I love my home and the people who surround it.

Very, very thankful for these folks, my toddler buddies next door, the seasonal folks, and the year-rounders. I pulled that winning lottery ticket on this joint!

SallyK

That is so wonderful for you, Paul! I also have an awesome neighborhood and am very grateful for it!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Justbreathe

Hey Paul - very nice write-up about your neighbors. So good to hear positive comments these days about neighbors as it isn't always the case - sometimes quite the opposite. We have been very lucky in our lifetime of always having great neighbors - in fact, we are still good friends with former neighbors in Phoenix (from the 1970s) and other friends/former neighbors scattered around the US where we have lived. As the saying goes "old friends are gold, new friends are silver". Currently we are in a neighborhood of silver friends now and most of them have that color hair as well! JB

AlexT

Love thy neighbor....

Justbreathe
Reply to AlexT

Same girl during football season! Oven gas on high.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT

Hi Paul, neighbors are so important! I'm so glad you lucked out. Who your neighbors are can have a huge impact on your quality of life! I remember growing up in a neighborhood where we knew all our neighbors, everyone was friendly, we looked out for each other, we even socialized with some of them. This was a neighborhood in a big city too, which is surprising in today's world. Now, we don't know any of our neighbors, seriously, we might smile and say hello, but that's about it. Many of them don't speak English, which is a barrier, but it's more than that. People just keep to themselves now. It's a different world I guess. And sad in so many ways.

I'm glad to know that communities like the one you are in still exist!

Terry

ron in mich

Hi Abe, I'm glad for you. That's a peace of mind that you don't have any quarrels while battling health issues. I, on the other hand, have renters next door on one side and a house falling down from lack of maintenance on the other, of which I'm constantly battling rodents from. And this week, there was a domestic incident a couple houses down with cops coming from all directions for it, so not a good neighborhood anymore.

Abefroman1969
Reply to ron in mich

Ron,

Thank you so much for the kind words, just hearing you speak of your neighborhood is why I'm so content with mine.

I hope it doesn't feel like I'm rubbing it in as that was the farthest thing from my intention.

Like I said, I pulled the winning lottery ticket with this joint!

AlexT

I have great neighbors too, nice and quiet.

Elzie

There are a lot of great neighbors here in Massachusetts. If you really want to see where the term Masshole came from, just drive on Route 128. You'll never have to wonder about that name again.....

kirbyfivefivefive

I live next to a cemetery, so the neighbors are quiet and pleasant to be around.

AlexT
Reply to kirbyfivefivefive

It would be a little creepy if they weren't.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

LOL

subwmn

I live in an HOA since '09 and every year the members change. We own a nice backyard and our immediate neighbors are nice. No more HOA in our next house. Congrats on finding a good group of people.

Abefroman1969
Reply to Elzie

My whole family is from Southie, so I've seen it and I've driven Rt 128, so I totally get it. I just got super lucky buying where I didn't know anyone. I actually like most Massholes, and I was called an asshole so often on the West Coast, I fully embraced the term with the move. I was a bit too blunt and straightforward for quite a few folks out West!

Abefroman1969
Reply to subwmn

Thank you so much and congrats on having good immediate neighbors even with an HOA!

Abefroman1969

The jokes write themselves on this one, isn't it great having good quiet neighbors?

betsyb

Are you in Portland?

Lone Fir Cemetery?

Renfromtexas
Reply to ron in mich

Just moved to my current location for 2 years now. One guy warned me about walking my dog alone in the evening. Well, that did it for me. Bought some firearms and took some classes for protection, and I don't walk outside my home anymore. Glad when we finally buy a home soon after all my health issues are cleared up. Not the best of neighborhoods but saved ourselves nearly $300.00 a month until we find us a home.

funnygurl

Glad you finally found your happy place. Sometimes aging neighbors become a problem despite decades of peaceful coexistence. I am very much a loner. I am friendly but mind my own business and am very private. Lived in peace and harmony with the next-door neighbors until 2 years ago. Had a small wooden picket fence removed from my property because it was rotten and literally falling over. It triggered the old guy next door big time. He asked if I was replacing it and threw a tantrum when I said no. He wanted me to build a fence to keep his dog contained. Came home one day and found a collection of rusty chicken wire scraps and rebar that he put up on my property to replace the fence. I told him to remove it and do what he wanted on HIS property. He refused to remove it so I took it out and threw the wire and rebar in the dump. He is furious. Clearly after 3 decades of peaceful coexistence this is crazy. The rumor is he has a brain tumor. He has verbally attacked people I have hired to work on my property. He has been very verbally abusive when I am out in the yard. I think I will have to end up getting a restraining order. Never imagined it would come to this. I am dealing with the neighbor from hell.

Killarney

I have a graveyard on one side, the health centre on the other, the locals call my block God's waiting room.