Recovering from gallbladder surgery - Any tips for managing post-op pain?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
eefyjig

Hi all, I had my gallbladder out yesterday. Laparoscopic with an extra deeper slit near my bellybutton. The air they pumped me full of makes everything sore inside but I'm hanging in there. On Tramadol. Thanks for all the support when I initially posted about this a while back. A lot of your current posts are always making me laugh (Alex) which hurts but feels good!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Heal up quick, I can't keep my mouth shut for long. Technically, I guess it's my fingers, but I don't have a proper "don't use your fingers" emoji.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Abefroman1969

Best wishes in healing right along with you!

eefyjig
Reply to Abefroman1969

My procedure is a piece of cake compared to what you went through, but I know you understand the process and it's comforting to know we're healing together!

Axl

Take care...

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Casper9

Hope everything went well and the healing is quick!

eefyjig

Oof, this gas pain is pretty bad. I don't know if having a stoma makes it tougher but it's been three days since my surgery and I'm moving and applying warm compresses, and I'm not passing much gas. Maybe tomorrow will be the turning point.

AlexT
Reply to eefyjig

Have your husband pull your finger, that should work.

SallyK

Sending loads of love and good vibes your way!

Abefroman1969

Hope you are feeling better today! Thinking of you.

eefyjig
Reply to AlexT

Haha, if I were in a better mood, I'd do just that.

eefyjig

Thank you, everyone. I wish docs were more upfront and would just say, "You're gonna feel like you got run over by a truck and you won't be able to take a deep breath for a while because there won't be any room in there." Then at least I'd know what to expect. So all of that has been happening. I feel like Violet Beauregard in "Willy Wonka" after she turns into a blueberry....minus the blue color. I know I'll look back on this one day and think, "Ugh, well that sucked." All of these things are exacerbated by an existing ileostomy. Thanks so much for checking in. It makes me feel less alone.

eefyjig

Just a quick interesting update: I saw my surgeon today. Apparently, due to all of the scar tissue from my previous four surgeries, my laparoscopic gallbladder removal required two deeper incisions and a stitch or two beneath the skin (to prevent hernia). This would explain the pain at those spots and why the gas is causing pain there specifically, too. He suggested that I eat less and walk more to dispel the gas. He actually said I might give up eating for a couple of days and just drink water. Since fasting triggers migraines for me, I decided to eat less and walk more. He said to take the deep breaths even if they really hurt, which they do; I can't hurt myself. I have more peace of mind now, I knew deep down that this whole procedure was way more than typical and now I know that it was and why. Whew!

AlexT
Reply to eefyjig

See, you'll be fine.

Abefroman1969

An honest surgeon is so very hard to find, and one with an equally good bedside manner is even more difficult to find.
I'm so glad you got some answers and know your body well enough to be able to explain your concerns and the surgeon was able to explain your concerns and what happened during your surgery, good communication is just as important in healing as the rest of it.

I love my surgeon and GI doc and we have tremendous communication, it's when the rest of the "team" get involved I have issues and have made that clear to them.

I hope you are feeling better today and each day moving forward! I'm healing along with you but have been REALLY exhausted the last couple days, that's ok I like naps!

Hope you get to go home soon!

Abe

eefyjig
Reply to Abefroman1969

Hi healing mate, absolutely true. We just need to know the lowdown....

It sounds like your body really needs the rest after your cumulative stressful situation. Given the change in the circumstances of my procedure, I was lucky enough to still go home the same day and I'm napping right along with you!

AlexT

I wish I had a napping buddy.

Abefroman1969
Reply to eefyjig

Guess I should pay better attention, glad you are home.

eefyjig
Reply to AlexT

Aww!

eefyjig
Reply to Abefroman1969

Don't even think about it - you're sleepy!

HenryM

I went thru the same thing, eegyjig, so I can empathize.  Get well soon.  HenryM

Abefroman1969

Hope you are feeling better, just checking in on you!

eefyjig
Reply to HenryM

Thanks, Henry, so you get it. Nothing's simple anymore and takes a bit more to get past. I had my little pity party but feeling better.

eefyjig
Reply to Abefroman1969

Hey, thanks so much for checking! I wallowed for a bit, mind going to worst-case scenarios, etc., but I'm coming out of that. Each issue hits hard. I'm hoping you're doing much better at home.