Thumbs-upping: A New Term or Just Me?

Replies
Views
AlexT

So I was conversing with someone early this morning and that person used the term...thumbs-upping. Anyone ever hear of this term before or have personally used it? I never knew the term existed.

Past Member

No, and I don't want to hear it anytime soon!

A lot of the common modern-day phrases I hear (and read) all the time are beyond bollocks, so it's always good to take a break from the "socials" and MSM and let the fog clear (plus has the added benefit of making me less likely to feel like slappin' someone upside the head!)

e.g.

"Just sayin'" - yes, I know you're just saying it because you just bloody said it, ya moron

"Game-changer"

"Sorry, not sorry"

"No offence" - when clearly that was the main objective, you ignorant twit

"My bad"

"Inclusive"

"Narrative"

"Woke"

"Journey"

And any gender identity-related f*ckwittery, including pronouns, it's he or she and nuttin' in between, ya attention-seeking dipshits!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

I didn't know this was a touchy subject.

w30bob
Reply to Anonymous

And my personal favorite............'no worries'. Where the hell did that come from??

;O)

Past Member

You know what grinds my gears? People who say culs-de-sac for the plural. Just sayin'.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT

Maybe I should title this thread....What annoys you? For me, it's someone that says "like" all the time.

Past Member
Reply to w30bob

Apologies, Bob, but I think you can blame my beloved country for that one!

She'll be right!

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

One I forgot to mention is 100, instead of saying yes, agreed or OK they lengthen it out to ONE-HUNDRED-PERCENT?!

Never hear anyone say 50 or 75 if they only partially agree with you, LOL!

Cplumber

What the hell is with. You have your work cut out for you! = Hard work ahead. If I was a suit maker, I would love to have my work cut out for me! Or a cookie cutter, sheet metal worker, a cake cutter, or a bikini maker.

Caz67

What I want to know is where are they thumbs-upping? Xx

Bill

The worst one for me is probably someone who signs off with 'Best wishes' because they are too idle to think of another alternative to 'Have a nice day!'

Best wishes

Bill 

Caz67
Reply to Anonymous

Joe

You really have made me laugh.

One of my pet hates is "straight from the horse's mouth." WTF.

When someone says "trust me," you clearly should not.

Do you remember me from when we were in infant school? Why the hell would I when I struggle to remember my own bleeding name? LOL.

Can you believe it? No, 'cause it's shit.

HenryM
Reply to AlexT

I couldn't agree more.  'Like' drives me nuts.  100%, right Jo?!

Past Member
Reply to Caz67

Yep, the "friend" requests from people I apparently went to kindergarten and primary school with are strange. Pretty sure there's a reason why we didn't remain friends if I have no bloody idea who you are now, LOL! They are probably trying to sell Amway (or maybe it's Bitcoin these days!)

Past Member
Reply to HenryM

NJ Bain

Jo,

You've opened a can of worms on this one as I'm sure the list will continue to expand. I have to agree with the gender identity BS as it's getting way out of hand.

I also cannot stand when people use the word "like" after every few words but I'm guilty of doing it without even realizing it. That or I say fuck or fucking after every few words.

As of late, I've heard the word "bet" as in "you betcha" and "facts" as in "I completely agree." The Urban Dictionary is full of useless but sometimes entertaining one-word phrases.

And lastly, my biggest pet peeve is basic grammar. For example, when someone texts or emails the words there, their, or they're incorrectly. Also included is your and you're, two, to, and too followed up by then and than.

The fact that smartphones can autocorrect your spelling or that someone came out with an app that checks your grammar just goes to show that most people are either lazy or inherently uneducated. Grammar schools are no longer teaching children how to write in cursive, and we as a society are becoming dependent on digital signatures. It's basically the equivalent of a person that was never taught how to read or write being asked to "Make their mark," usually by signing with an "X." Just my 2 cents. Who hates this one?...lol

eefyjig

"Kind of" and "sort of" are the new substitutions for "like" and they're driving me nuts. Every TV show host says it, it's said in every interview, like they're biding their time until the rest of the thought comes into their heads, and they think these other two terms sound classier than "like." It never bothered me before until someone pointed it out to me. And "no worries" is the new "you're welcome." It took a while for me to come around to that one, too.

HenryM
Reply to eefyjig

Also, "and stuff" as the new etc.  My daughter says it, but if I correct her, my wife gets upset.

Abefroman1969

I absolutely can't stand "no worries." There are several others I don't care for on Jo's list, but this whole "no worries" has annoyed me for over 20 years.

SallyK
Reply to w30bob

Hakuna Matata

TerryLT

Wow, Alex, you really started something! Jo, I agree completely on your list, but just a couple come to mind that I will mention. Remember when people said "it's so much fun"? Why has it suddenly become "it's so fun"? Is "so fun" less fun than "so much fun"? Why have we become so lazy we need to say "vacay" instead of "vacation"? If you are that lazy, I guess you need one!

Terry

Axl
Reply to Anonymous

I like you.... redemption... aaarrrgghhh

Past Member
Reply to NJ Bain

NJ Bain! Haven't seen you on here for years, glad to see you're still around!

As always, I agree with everything you wrote. Nothing wrong with the eff word, there are many situations in life where it is justified, my friend!

Past Member

Facts, lol.

Maried

Thumbs up is usually not stated out loud, but it is used in texts.

To show agreement, like "I will meet you at 10:00" and you reply, the thumb can be the color you like: brown, light brown, beige, white.

Casper9

Wow, can open, worms everywhere!

My least favorite is 'bruh'

My kids use it all the time. I went from Mama to Mommy to Mom to 'bruh'.

Casper

AlexT
Reply to Casper9

I had a kid at a pizza place call me "bruh" when my pizza wasn't ready... "I feel ya, bruh." ;&zwj

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

That's sus, bruh.

TerryLT
Reply to Casper9

Wow, I don't think I would respond if someone called me 'bruh', even if it was my own kid!!

Mayoman

LOL...!!! One that left me speechless. I was sitting in a park and two "office uniformed" women walking by slowly, deep in conversation. As they passed, one office type (presumably educated in the English language!!?) says to the other.

"Well, I was 'conversating' with my co-worker... bla bla bla...".

Conversating!!!! I've heard it since then, hopefully it never took!!??