Excessive Gaps at Stoplights: What's the Deal?

Replies
Views
TerryLT

Anyone who drives has had them, in spades. This is a fairly recent phenomenon that I have observed over the last few years. I can't figure it out and hope that someone on this site will be able to enlighten me! I started noticing a lot of drivers leaving huge gaps between themselves and the car in front of them. I'm talking about at stop lights, stop signs, courtesy corners, etc. I mean entire car lengths between themselves and the car they are stopped behind. This is unnecessary, stupid, and leads to longer back-ups than necessary. I often see situations where, in a dedicated turning lane, there are probably only half of the cars in it than the number that should fit, meaning the lanes of through traffic become backed up. I took a short defensive driving lesson sponsored by my local police force back in the 80's and learned that it's a good idea to leave enough space in front of yourself and the car in front of you to make it possible for you to get out in case of emergency (i.e., the car in front breaks down). This makes lots of sense, but it doesn't require much room at all, certainly not an entire car length!! Is this happening elsewhere and can anyone explain to me why?? Is this what they are training new drivers to do these days??

Terry

AlexT

Very easy explanation....people on their phones. I see it all the time. Drives me nuts. I told one person..."Put your f___ing phone down and drive, I'd like to make the light too." You should watch the movie Unhinged with Russell Crowe.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Longroad78

AlexT is right, they are on their phones. In the big cities, it is a major problem. When you call them out on it, if they are not paying attention when the light goes green, you get a nasty look like you're doing something wrong when you have to honk your horn to tell them the light is green.

You all remember when there were no mobile phones and GPS maps, somehow we all survived.

Axl

In Oz, same as all above ..

TerryLT

Well guys, I respectfully insist there has to be more of an explanation than that. I know the cell phone is the cause of this kind of thing a lot, and I see it. But, I have seen people drive up in the lane beside me, and deliberately leave an entire car length between themselves and those in front of them. I have also made eye contact with some of these bozos, and they are not looking down, they are looking straight ahead. I see it all the time. They are well aware of the space in front of them. I guess it will remain a mystery to me, for now anyway. Thanks for your input!

Terry

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT

Maybe it's just to irritate you?

Axl
Reply to TerryLT

Yes, Terry, there is more to it. The stupid, the distracted, the ignorant, and the brain dead, all of whom have no business being behind the wheel of a car. Riding motorcycles all my life, I have seen them all, and hands-free phone in the car should be banned also.

honeygirl

I often leave some space so if someone rear-ends me, I don't hit the car in front of me (hopefully).

Past Member

Well, this never happens where I live, Southern Florida, east coast. Lol, jam-packed on the roads, especially when all the snowbirds get here!

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

Damn snowbirds.

Brod

A lot of new cars have (radar cruise control or adaptive cruise control) which automatically holds you well back from the car in front (it can be switched off).

TerryLT
Reply to Brod

Very interesting. I'll bet this explains a lot of what I've been seeing. Once again, technology steps in to make our lives easier and succeeds in doing the opposite. It would be the first thing I'd turn off if I had one of those cars. Thanks, Brod!

Terry

TerryLT
Reply to Axl

Completely agree. If it weren't for all the idiots on the road, I wouldn't have nearly as many excuses to exercise my potty mouth.

Terry

TerryLT
Reply to AlexT

Could be....

Silveradokid

Space. It's the final frontier and, apparently, everybody wants some...

Renfromtexas

I call that the .... in my car 6ft COVID-19 experience... social car distancing... eye roll....

2SelfBTru

I am one of those who leaves gaps, especially when moving, but even at stop signs and lights. I do it for our safety, yours and mine, because if someone rear-ends me, I am not as likely to rear-end you also, and it gives me time and space to pull into another lane or off the road. While moving, I leave at least one or two car lengths between me and the car in front of me. That way, if there is a wreck in front of me, I have more time to react properly. There are so many accidents that I have not been a part of because of this action. I can see better what is happening if I am not riding your bumper, and I don't get as frustrated trying to move the car in front of me to go faster, and they don't feel threatened by me riding their bumper. There are lots of reasons to stay away from other drivers. I know how I drive and how safe I am, but I just don't trust everyone on the road to think rationally, too many who want to go too fast. Control of my vehicle, I have control of the space between me and the car in front, but no control of the car behind me. So I give myself space to stop. Hope this helped a little. Safe travels.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Well, at least 2 people know why you should leave a car length between you and the fellow ahead. Bravo....
The rest of you.... Not so much.

TerryLT
Reply to 2SelfBTru

Hi Klancee, I leave lots of space between myself and the cars in front of me too, while driving, and I do leave some space when stopped as well, the aforementioned space enough to get out from behind in case the car in front stalls). It was a police-sponsored defensive driving course that recommended that, so I guess I figure if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. An entire car length when stopped seems excessive and mostly just serves to increase traffic back-ups. There is the argument that what some may see as being safe also serves to frustrate other drivers and may cause them to drive more aggressively. I do see it from your perspective though. Thanks!

Terry

vanestag
Reply to Longroad78

Yes, when you honk your horn they act like you're doing something wrong! I'm a senior now (young) and boy can that put me in the mood for road rage! Irritates me so much, but hey, what can you do?!

Pilgrim
Reply to 2SelfBTru

Stopped at a stop light, sign? There is no reason to do this when everyone is stopped! You are part of the problem!