Favorite Albums & Concerts - Share Yours!

Replies
Views
CircleC

Today I was trying to decide what my two favorite albums are and what my two favorite live concerts were...

I finally decided that my current favorite albums are: U2 - Achtung Baby and Sting - Fields of Gold.

My two favorite concerts were both in Houston: The Eagles and Tom Petty.

What are your favorites?

AlexT

Geez, I might have to think about the albums part of it for a while. For concerts, I've only been to one in my life so I guess that's my favorite.....Ice T/Bodycount.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

There was an Eagles album way back when that I used to listen to all the time when I was a kid. Ice-T's Rhyme Pays is pretty tough for me to overlook.

Past Member

Mmmmm that's a thinker, my faves can change on a daily basis but if it's most played records, flicking through my albums would have to say the top 2 over the years would have to be:

Queen - A Night at the Opera (naturally enough for Bohemian Rhapsody but Brian May does the vocals on the song '39 which is a definite fave).

Kate Bush - The Hounds of Love

As for live concerts the top 2 would have to be Elton John and Bon Jovi (back in the 90's when Jon lopped off his big hair and all of a sudden was as sexy AF!) - my bestie and I had seats right up front near Richie Sambora who she claims was giving her the eye - yeah nah mate that was me he was looking at, LOL!

HenryM

The Eagles... Tom Petty... what could be better!  Good choices, CircleC.  

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Abefroman1969

Let's see, two concerts I paid for and loved were Jane's Addiction in Cheney, Washington in 1990 and a tie between Queens of the Stone Age at the Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas in 2006 and the Beastie Boys every time I saw them from 1989-2006.

As far as albums go, it's Queens of the Stone Age Rated R and the Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique. Fun fact: it was also one of Miles Davis' favorite albums. Honorable mention to Steely Dan live in America. The back album cover is of them playing at The Gorge at George, Washington. I also happened to be at that show and in that picture, although I can't find me in it.

ron in mich

Hi all, I would say Bob Seger - Live Bullet and Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced? As for concerts, ZZ Top and the last one we went to was Bob Seger.

CircleC
Reply to Anonymous

Love your selections and the killer video!!

CircleC
Reply to Abefroman1969

I'll have to admit that I have never heard a Beastie Boys' album but on yours and Miles Davis' recommendation I will give it a go!

CircleC
Reply to ron in mich

I too enjoyed Bob Seger in concert. No bells and whistles stage production but his voice was mesmerizing!

CircleC
Reply to AlexT

I'll have to check his album out!

(I am only familiar with him as Tutola in SVU.)

eefyjig

That's a really tough question and tough to narrow down. In terms of albums I could always listen to and never get tired of, I'd choose Aja by Steely Dan and That's The Way Of The World by Earth, Wind and Fire. Favorite live concerts are the Flaming Lips and a Talking Heads cover band (I never got to see TH live) called Start Making Sense. Can we have other categories? Best concert I missed most of because I was nineteen and imbibing? Jackson Browne (I caught the last two songs.) Best concert where my ex-boyfriend told me he cheated on me, right before the curtain went up? Pat Metheny.

tmn68

Definitely Pink Floyd (almost every album).

As far as a live show - Sky show 8 in San Diego, CA. Like 8 bands.

tmn68
Reply to eefyjig

Love your taste in music!

eefyjig
Reply to tmn68

Thanks, yours, too!

Abefroman1969
Reply to CircleC

Ice-T is an absolute legend in the rap game. Body Count is his all-black metal band. I saw Jane's Addiction and Body Count together at Lollapalooza 1, and both bands came out for an encore and did a Sly and the Family Stone cover of "Don't Call Me Nigger, Whitey." It was incredible.

Abefroman1969
Reply to CircleC

I would start with "The In Sound from Way Out!" Not a lot of rapping, mostly instrumental, and yes, they play their own instruments. "Paul's Boutique" is over 30 years old, and I'm still hearing new things with each listen. "Check Your Head" is the third album in their discography and the one where they started playing their own instruments again. It's a great album.
I hope these tips help. They are an acquired taste.

Abefroman1969
Reply to Anonymous

I'm partial to the Kate Bush track "Babooshka." There was a roadie I used to work with, and he was always coming through Seattle with these big metal bands. Once we got the show set up to tune the PA to the room, he played "Babooshka" so loud that the chandeliers would rattle in our old theater. But it was also very funny. Here we are getting ready for a theater full of metalheads, and we are listening to Kate Bush!

CircleC
Reply to eefyjig

Geez... Nice timing on that last one!

Steely Dan and Earth, Wind, and Fire remind me of two additional greats: Dire Straits and Chicago.

TerryLT

I would find it impossible to pick only two favorite albums, but up high on my list would be Madman Across the Water, Elton John, Rumours, Fleetwood Mac, Rubber Soul, The Beatles, Desperado and Hotel California, Eagles, Full Moon Fever and Damn the Torpedoes, Tom Petty.

As far as concerts go, yes, I was lucky enough to see Tom Petty too, pretty awesome. Would have loved to have seen the Eagles. Among my best, Led Zeppelin, Elton John, The Who, The Stones.

Wish I could have seen The Police while they were still together. The Eagles are coming to Vancouver shortly, and I am tempted, but seeing them without Glenn Frey would be hard.

Terry

Past Member
Reply to Abefroman1969

Have loved her for over 40 years ever since Wuthering Heights, her music is so avant-garde and "out there", always an underlying story whether it's Heathcliff or Houdini!

Glad to see she's had a resurgence recently thanks to "Stranger Things" on Netflix with Running Up That Hill.

Below is one of my all-time faves.

Abefroman1969
Reply to TerryLT

The Fixx, The Thompson Twins, and The Police were my very first concert. Synchronicity tour, so the last one before Sting dumped the band!

SallyK

Still thinking about favorite albums but my two favorite live concerts were Bob Seger and The Rolling Stones.

TerryLT
Reply to Abefroman1969

Oh, the Synchronicity tour! You lucky dog.

Silveradokid

My two favorite albums? Impossible to pin down. I'd have to go with anything by Traffic and The Moody Blues.

Concerts? In 2011, Eric Clapton played with Wynton Marsalis and The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. JALCO included the incredible Victor Goines (sax, clarinet). In the second half of the concert, they were joined by Taj Mahal. Just wow!

Also in 2011, Hot Tuna played at The Tilles Center for the Performing Arts. Invited guests included Charlie Musselwhite and G.E. Smith. Incredible...

eefyjig
Reply to Silveradokid

Hot F*ckin' Tuna!

AlexT
Reply to eefyjig

Never heard a lady say that before.

eefyjig
Reply to AlexT

I'm a tuna fan, we can all say it!

Bees

There is nothing like a Grateful Dead concert.

Bees
Reply to eefyjig

Electric or acoustic?