Ostomy Memories of Weather

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses how weather affects ostomy care and shares tips and experiences for managing ostomies in different weather conditions.
HenryM

IT LOOKS LIKE FLORIDA will get its first hurricane of the season this coming week.  The forecasters have it coming right at me.  Watching Floridians prepare for an approaching storm is like witnessing atoms being tossed about in a mass spectrometer.  They’re bouncing all around, converging on gas stations, banks and grocery stores in a panic, gassing up, withdrawing emergency cash, and emptying the shelves of perceived necessities for hunkering down.  Sales of generators go way up.  Important records and papers are tucked away in waterproof containers.  Children are warned to cancel any plans to leave the house.  I suppose the fanatically religious break out the prayer beads and bibles, oblivious to the fact that God has already set the hurricane in motion and established its predictable path of destruction.  As the storm closes in, it tends to dominate the verbal exchanges of the people living in the area.  Of course, there is nothing unusual about the weather being a dominant topic.  “Don’t knock the weather,” said Kin Hubbard.  “If it didn’t change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn’t start a conversation.”  So here comes the tropical storm named Ian.  I can only hope that the big trees that surround my home remain standing, and that loss of power is the worst thing we suffer as the storm assails the state.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello HenryM. 

I feel that you will be well prepared for anything the weather might throw at you. However, good luck and best wishes are rarely a wasted gesture so I send them to you anyway.

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Caz67

Stay well and keep safe, Henry. XX

Abefroman1969

Stay safe, Henry. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts. Looking forward to who you run into during the storm, no telling who may blow through town!

ron in mich

Good luck, Henry. Stay safe. I thought having the first frost here this past week was ominous of things to come.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Mayoman

I hope you are all spared the worst-case scenario, Henry. I imagine you being well prepared, Magoo.

TerryLT
Reply to Abefroman1969

"Blow through town," love it! You may just have inspired Henry's next topic!

TerryLT

I hope that if any of those trees do fall, they miss your house! This reminds me of the mad rush of people descending on the stores to buy snow shovels and snow tires when one of our relatively rare snowstorms is predicted. Of course, that isn't likely to cause the possible devastation a hurricane can bring! Stay safe, Henry. Who was it that said, "Everyone likes to talk about the weather, but no one does anything about it."?!! At least now we have the ability to fairly accurately predict what is coming.

Terry

Abefroman1969
Reply to TerryLT

Glad you enjoyed my attempt at levity during what I'm sure is a stressful time!
I think I'm pretty clever, then I open my mouth or type something dumb and prove I'm not as clever as I think I am!

AlexT

Stay safe

Casper9

Stay safe, Henry!

Hope the trees stay standing and the worst of it misses you.

bowsprit

The world is in an energy imbalance. At the same time that Atlantic Canada was being hit by Fiona, there were three other hurricane-force storms around Japan and the Philippines, and one heading for Florida. There were also storm-force winds swirling around the Azores. There have been massive floods here after much heavier than usual rainfall, causing immense damages and casualties. It is an unusual case of the rich and the poor suffering together, except that the poorer countries contribute the least to greenhouse gases but are paying the heavier price for it. Fooling around with Mother Nature will lead to more such disasters. Canadians can take revenge from the tropical zones where these hurricanes originate by sending the snow available to them in abundance to the Gulf of Mexico!

AlexT
Reply to bowsprit

I'm blaming it on whichever planet just got hit by a moon and threw it off normal axis. Some of the poorer countries may actually contribute more because they must use what's available to them and usually in a less efficient way. The world wasn't made to support a species like humans and especially not so many of us. Until our population is under control, you can expect more of these weather extremes.

TerryLT
Reply to Abefroman1969

Oh, I disagree. You are very clever. I know what you mean though. My specialty is trying to be clever and instead putting my foot in my mouth. I've discovered that I can even fit both feet in without even trying. Now, there was an example of me trying to be clever, hopefully leaving my mouth empty. How did I do?

Terry

AlexT

Don't worry Henry, the Nebraska team just got back and is reloading to come help you Floridians out. Your bag won't be wet for long.