Kidney Bean Carcasses and Ostomies: A Chili Conundrum

Replies
Views
stoma city

Ok, so here's the deal-io. I made chili the other day—something that I truly love in the fall. I obviously forgot what kidney beans can do to you if you have an ostomy. After I indulged in a lovely bowl of fabulous chili—it was fabulous because I made it so fu*k off—lol

Later in the evening when I went to empty my bag, what do my wondrous eyes do appear, but lots and lots of little kidney bean carcasses! Oh holy sh*t! How could I have forgotten about that? I get that I could make chili without beans, but it just would seem like there was something missing—so here's to a happy fall to everyone and may your kidney bean carcasses be few—lol

TerryLT

Wow, that is pretty cool actually. I see you have an ileo, so obviously those beans were not chewed up very well, or the carcasses would not have been intact. You didn't get a blockage, so things are clearly passing through you just fine. I'm always really careful about chewing really well, especially when eating something like beans. Sometimes I wonder if it's necessary to be so diligent, but I'd still rather not take the risk. Good for you!

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,379 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Black beans from Chipotle do the same for me.

Ritz

I make an awesome chili but I put my beans first in a food processor. The mushed beans aid in thickening and still give the needed flavor. My tomatoes go in peeled. Hmmmm, I'll have to make a batch but it's still hitting the high nineties here.

ron in mich

Hi SC, I had chili leftovers for lunch yesterday and like others said, you have to chew the beans to mush.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
w30bob

Yeah, for me "beans" equal the "blender" first. Fiber isn't our friend here, at least the large kind. I often see the flattened capsules from some of my supplements come out whole as well. Always a good reminder of what can and cannot get digested. I remember the good old days when I could eat anything and it would get broken down and digested. As Archie said........Those were the days!

;O)

Past Member

Kidney bean carcasses..

Ritz

I should have mashed my green peas. Now my Leo is like a popcorn machine!

AlexT
Reply to Ritz

Oh, the visual that gives a person.

honeygirl

When it comes to beans, etc. the rule is always to chew, chew, chew. But that should be with everything you eat. I eat everything but make a conscious effort to chew it all very well.

RoanokeVirginiaArmyBrat

The same thing happens to me with corn. I thought I chewed it enough but I sure don't. Then they come out whole.

sganderson329

I have made chili with zucchini cut into about the same size as a kidney bean. It is better than you think! I cannot do kidney beans. Try it, maybe it'll work for you.

banshie3by5

I make what I call Taco Soup with 3-4 types of beans and rice. It's both a complete protein and complex carb. Nobody human digests the hulls (skins) of beans or grains/corn/peas, etc. That's plant fiber. But rice helps hold the liquid so the fiber passes nicer.