Coping with a New Stoma: Finding Positivity

Replies
Views
Kayckay

It was hard to accept that I had a stoma. It was either that or death. I just recently got one less than a month ago..... I talk to it a lot, like saying "you're not going to blow up my bag today .... Not today, you better keep that bag on and it better not fall off....." Sometimes you have to make the best out of the situation to keep from becoming depressed. I'll probably never date again and I'm okay with that.

AlexT

Eventually you'll almost forget you have a bag and not panic every time there's a noise coming from it (which is quite comical at times). If you're having issues with the bag staying on or leaks, you may need to change some things on your setup. It gets easier as time goes on and your stress level will go down. Only you will keep yourself from dating, your stoma, to others that care, won't be that big of a deal. Ask questions and vent anything you want on here, we get it. Have a good day and smile.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,375 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ice

I'm in the same boat as you. Just got my bag a month ago. I'm also recently single so also worry about dating but was lucky enough to find someone who accepts my condition. You will too...you are a beautiful young woman so don't give up.

Ben38

Early days in time, you will learn to accept and love your stoma.

And yes, you will date and meet the man/woman of your dreams in the future if that's what you want. Probably have to kiss a few toads in the process, lol, but sure you have at times pre-stoma too like all of us have.

Once you accept it, dating won't be a problem. 99.9% of the problems come from the person with the ostomy pushing people away. Some do it on purpose, others don't even realize what they're doing and aren't ready to even admit to themselves yet that they haven't accepted it. You will see with experience members in groups trying to cover up their true feelings. You can see straight through them. Hopefully, in time, they accept it and can get on and live a happy life.

Axl

Hi Kay

Time will change all that and you might just surprise yourself ...

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Kayckay
Reply to Ice

Thank you

ron in mich

Hi Kay, welcome to the site. They say we go through different mindsets from having major surgery like anger, sadness, depression, but eventually acceptance and then life goes on. I was in my mid-thirties when I got my ostomy, but it saved my life. I'm in my 70s now and still don't let it hold me back. As for the bag falling off, get an ostomy belt.

Ninja

Kayckay:
I am always amazed at how smart this little brain trust of humans can be about diversionary surgery. As a woman of a certain age, I concur that you will adjust and you will be able to date, and adjust your sex/sensual life in surprising ways. As for my experience, having an Ostomy actually acts as a gatekeeper for intimacy; and with the bar a little bit higher because of the natural initial off-putting tendency it creates, I find that it is a useful screening device for keeping folks without certain emotional depth or clarity of shared pleasure, out of my pants and out of my inner life (literally and figuratively).

I wish for you smooth sailing as you come to terms with your new status. Keep the faith. It will help some. Best, Ninja